Vinyl - Currently Spinning

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

Cool, I am too scared to spread mine all out on the floor - coz it is just as tragic I think ?

You have a few 12 inches I am chasing (although I have them all on CD remixes singles) and I may have a few you are missing too - guess we have the forum pretty much covered for Madame X between us ?

If you guys ever want to get into a Roger Whittaker competition, I'll kick your collective asses!

PS I was joking

PPS maybe I wasn't.

28 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Angelwitch along with Maiden and Diamond Head were the cream of the NWOBHM crop for me.

Pity it was only Maiden who made it as Angelwitch debut album is superb , the track Gorgon gets me playing air guitar everytime.

They released As above, so below in 2012 and it's also a great album.

20200216_130634.jpg

Off topic I know - but glad I am not the only one that leaves their cover on when playing a record. I have tried both on and off and found it made no difference to sound for me so more bother to remove and put it on all the time so leave it on now.  

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

On 15/02/2020 at 1:31 PM, hlov said:

Happy birthday!!! Do u have some pics of the glass u used? And also what did u put in between the two plates?

Hi mate. Thanks for the interest.

I borrowed the glass plates from a mate and gave them back to him yesterday. They were 13" sq and 4mm thick. I kept the record in the sleeve in between the 2 pieces of glass. I might purchase some glass now l know it does the job. But see if l can go thicker. Though glass is bloody expensive.

I have some 12" floor tiles. Might give them a go next time, as they are a bit heavier. 

I played the other side of the record today. There was a slight warp on this side. But it is quite playable.

All in all, pretty happy with the experiment. Actually didn't think it would work with out heat.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, April Snow said:

@needlerunner  Yes I am interested in this too please. I have a warped record too I would like to try it on.................but I happy you got great results and Happy Birthday too ?

Thanks April.

Have replied to other posters.

But basically, just 2 plates of glass slightly bigger than 12" sq.

The ones l borrowed were around 4mm thick. If you were to go to a glassier and get some off cuts. Try and get as thick as you can ( more weight).

Though l suppose you could stack your Prince and Modonna records on top of the glass...be more than enough ??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, needlerunner said:

Thanks April.

Have replied to other posters.

But basically, just 2 plates of glass slightly bigger than 12" sq.

The ones l borrowed were around 4mm thick. If you were to go to a glassier and get some off cuts. Try and get as thick as you can ( more weight).

Though l suppose you could stack your Prince and Modonna records on top of the glass...be more than enough ??

@needlerunner  hahahahahaha - true story !! OK shall try that, we have heaps of glass at work that has been wrongly cut for jobs so is worth a try for me to give it a shot !! Got nothing to lose if I can reverse a salad bowl ?

Thank you xx

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Also my favourite Motorhead studio album, my fav album is still 'No Sleep 'til Hammersmith'.

Yeah no sleep is a cracker.

Don't know if your aware but it wasn't recorded at Hammersmith but on the Leeds and Newcastle meet tour March 1981.

One night at Leeds queens hall and two nights at Newcastle city hall.

I was at both Newcastle shows in the same position 3 rows from the front and directly in the middle.

Talk about loud jeeez....dunno how my ears survived it , brilliant gigs though.

Still have the T shirt.

20200216_141010.jpg

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TDK said:

If you guys ever want to get into a Roger Whittaker competition, I'll kick your collective asses!

PS I was joking

PPS maybe I wasn't.

I might post my medium size collection of Mrs Mills records 

And all the LPs from my ballroom dancing days 

Where is the poke my tongue ? out thingy 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, April Snow said:

@needlerunner  hahahahahaha - true story !! OK shall try that, we have heaps of glass at work that has been wrongly cut for jobs so is worth a try for me to give it a shot !! Got nothing to lose if I can reverse a salad bowl ?

Thank you xx

My pleasure.

I forgot to mention, I turned the record over on a weekly basis.

Still amazes me that a record can be perfectly flat on one side, and dished on the other.

If the warp doesn't come out. Stick it the sun for a day. Be interested if that works. After all, its heat that warps 'em in the first place.

Just wish that retailers would package them a bit better (don't get me started). I guess that is why l stick mainly to CDs. I think in most cases they sound better too. On my system anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, needlerunner said:

My pleasure.

Still amazes me that a record can be perfectly flat on one side, and dished on the other.

If the warp doesn't come out. Stick it the sun for a day. Be interested if that works. After all, its heat that warps 'em in the first place.

Just wish that retailers would package them a bit better (don't get me started). I guess that is why l stick mainly to CDs. I think in most cases they sound better too. On my system anyway. 

@needlerunner I will indeed let you know how it goes once I try it - and don't get me started about the heat, I am constantly stressing out over it as my house gets so hot when I am at work and I worry about warping - but then think how people have kept records in their garages in awful conditions in the past and they seem to survive. I swear I worry wayyyyyyyyy too  much, hate that I am so freakin' OCD !!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I might post my medium size collection of Mrs Mills records 

And all the LPs from my ballroom dancing days 

Where is the poke my tongue ? out thingy 

Might post my Engelbert Humperdinck collection.

Now l am joking. Though l think my mother as a few.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

My pleasure.

Perhaps warp on one side maybe due to the air gap 

To explain in mechanical terms - the high ridge on the start of the record leaves an air gap in the middle that allows for a concave / convex outcome 

Perhaps its best to add a little bit of thin foam to help overcome it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Perhaps warp on one side maybe due to the air gap 

To explain in mechanical terms - the high ridge on the start of the record leaves an air gap in the middle that allows for a concave / convex outcome 

Perhaps its best to add a little bit of thin foam to help overcome it 

Really! You lost me at air gap??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Really! You lost me at air gap??

4 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Is that the same as the thigh gap women go on about ? LOL

Get a record out 

Look at the circumference of the outer part of the record 

See how high the plastic is on both sides 

Now imagine this record sitting inside 2 pieces of glass 

The glass only touches the high ridge leaving the inside with an air gap 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TDK said:

Another shoutout for you @April Snow

12" version of La Isla Bonita. This is the Japanese EP version with the great 10 min mix of Open Your Heart.

mad.thumb.JPG.e4db852388811067ed17d1d751a4b49a.JPG

@TDK  Yes this is awesome - should have Gambler on it too? I have the Japanese CD OBI version of it and it is one of my favourite CD Maxi singles - I  just ordered this weekend the Japanese RSD repress of it on Vinyl - shall post it on here when it comes, fingers crossed it will be a good pressing as it is green vinyl.................or else I will be back on Discogs getting the original pressing ?

Good choice for a Sunday Arvo ?

• Like 2

To Top