Vinyl - Currently Spinning

My daughter has been given 'Lady Marmalade' and 'I'm a believer' for school band. She wanted to hear them so we're giving these a spin. 

DSC_0338.thumb.JPG.475c62fefeb25771384d08069ea520e4.JPG

Labelle - Night birds (1974)

Produced by Alan Toussaint and backed by the Meters this is powerhouse New Orleans R&B. 

The Monkees Greatest Hits

I'm not much of a Monkees fan - this is all I have by them. Some solid hits. 'Last train to Clarksville' is my pick of them. 

Edited by Monty
  • Like 4

Evening Folks.

@TerryO That is one serious rig, lovely.

Most appreciative of some gentle rain out this way, finally I can't smell dust in the air, and can open up the house for a while.

I don't see this album pop up very often.  I see his others here and there, but rarely 'Radio K.A.O.S.'

It's a concept album with a Radio DJ and a caller with a disability who speaks through a machine, forecasting the 'end of the world'.

A superb sounding record and I have an EX Oz, 1st press...

Roger Waters  'Radio K.A.O.S.'  1987 CBS, Aust.

1850992994_RogerWatersRadioKaos1987CBSAust_x600.jpg.661f3d31785c032b7cd9eda023cb8548.jpg

I finished my HSC in 1987.

This record belonged to a school friend who became my 'best' mate after leaving.  We began exploring the world together, he was from a car racing family, loved his driving, and always had a nice set of wheels.

We are still close, communicating every week or so, and he gave me the last of his vinyl about 3 years ago, unfortunately after his younger brother had beaten me to them.  But I did score a few gems, and this was one.

We lived on The Central Coast, just north of Sydney, and his family had a vacation unit at Tea Gardens, also on the coast just north of Newcastle.

While not that far to drive, these were our first road trips away from our families, free at last, free at last!!!

There were a few essentials taken with us.  Music, Southern Comfort & Weed.

Two albums stand as treasured memories from that time, but we didn't take our vinyl,  we had both succumbed to the convenience of CD., and there was no TT in the unit.

Radio K.A.O.S.  &  Eye of the Zombie by John Fogerty. 

They will always be associated with some of my best experiences, and highlights the joy and connection we have with vinyl.

I bought  'Eye of the Zombie' on vinyl upon release, and it's great to now have both.

Gee whiz, this thread had picked up momentum, well done.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Apart from April Snow ... As Devo once said ... Are We Not Men!  ... ?

... and April nice pay out on Pegasus.

5D0A35BA-7127-496D-AB3D-0FF7181B2C30.jpeg

Just as well I kept the jar of genuine Westie dust in a safe, dry place for you. Downstairs got flooded not that long ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPete9 said:

Have you Derek and Clive - Cancer. I cant find it anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_and_Clive

I've just downloaded all 3 albums via a vpn from Piratebay. Send me a Pm and I'll sort out how to send them to you. It's only 262mb MP3. The first album Live has Cancer on it.

Derek and Clive is a double act of comedic characters created by Dudley Moore (Derek) and Peter Cook (Clive) in the 1970s. The performances were captured on the records Derek and Clive (Live) (1976), Derek and Clive Come Again (1977), and Derek and Clive Ad Nauseam (1978), as well as in a film documentary, Derek and Clive Get the Horn (1979). The characters are foul-mouthed extensions of the earlier characters Pete and Dud.

Considered highly offensive by many at the time, the sketches primarily took the form of bizarre, sometime drunken streams of consciousness led by Cook, with interjections from Moore. Memorable moments from the records include Clive claiming that the worst job he ever had was retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's anus, Derek claiming his worst job was cleaning up Winston Churchill's bogeys (leading the pair to conclude that the Titanic was one such bogey), Clive claiming that he was sexually aroused by the sight of a deceased Pope lying in state, and a horse-racing 'commentary' featuring horses named after sexual organs or their vulgarised derivatives.

Though the recordings were far too crude for television or a mainstream audience, Derek and Clive bootleg recordings circulated. They became famous as mostly unscripted dialogues, vulgar situations depicting with copious swearing - especially the word "*****".

http://www.search.com/reference/Derek_and_Clive

Derek and Clive are controversial cult characters created by double act Dudley Moore and Peter Cook respectively on the records Derek and Clive (Live), 1976; Derek and Clive Come Again, 1977 and Derek and Clive Ad Nauseam, 1978 and a film documentary, Derek and Clive Get the Horn, 1979. The characters are seen as more foul-mouthed extensions of their earlier characters Pete and Dud. Though the recordings were far too controversial for television or a mainstream audience, Derek and Clive bootleg recordings circulated, becoming famous for their, mostly, unscripted dialogues, vulgar situations and copious use of profanity - especially the word "*****".

Considered by many at the time as highly offensive, the comic sketches primarily took the form of bizarre, sometime drunken streams of consciousness led by Cook, with interjections from Moore. Memorable moments from the records include Clive claiming that the worst job he ever had was retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's bum, Derek claiming his worst job was cleaning up Winston Churchill's bogies (leading the pair to conclude that the Titanic was one such bogie), Clive claiming that he was sexually aroused by the sight of a deceased Pope lying in state and a brilliantly staged horse racing 'commentary' featuring horses named after sexual organs or their vulgarised derivatives.

The characters, supposedly two lavatory attendants (although in one sketch, 'Back of the Cab', they play the roles of two London taxi drivers) first surfaced in the mid-seventies. Cook and Moore were touring Broadway with their revue show "Good Evening", a live version of their television series "Not Only... But Also." The relationship between the two had already become strained, as a result of Cook's increasing alcoholism. To reassure Moore, Cook hired out a recording studio in New York, where the two could simply relax, drink and ad-lib. The resulting recording was padded out with live performances of old favorites (such as "Bo Duddley"), and began to circulate as Derek and Clive (Live).

Cook became bemused at the idea that they should not be making money from the increasing popularity of Derek and Clive, and suggested to Moore that the recording should be released officially. By this point, Moore had embarked on a successful film career and found the tapes embarrassing, until he too realised his contemporaries were fans.

A further two records were made. However, they became less like dialogues and more like vindictive attacks on the increasingly successful Moore by Cook, whose career had stalled somewhat in comparison.

These personal attacks culminated in an exasperated Moore eventually walking out of the Ad Nauseam sessions, effectively ending their comedy partnership which had begun nearly twenty years earlier. In one particularly cruel attack, on the "Come Again" record, Cook rants at length about his irritation at his father dying of cancer. He was fully aware that Moore's father was at the time dying of cancer, and that Moore was having a particularly hard time coping with this. Nevertheless, Moore, also fuelled by large quantities of drink, not only happily joins in ad-libbing the "My Mum Song", but is reduced to hysterical laughter by Cook's lyrics.

The same love-hate relationship between them is evident in the Derek and Clive Get the Horn movie, during which Moore withstands brutally vindictive verbal tirades from Cook and walks out in anger, only to return, and have Cook reduce him to helpless laughter again only minutes later. It's often, mistakenly, assumed that all of their releases were recorded while under the influence of alcohol. While this can be presumed of "Come Again" - where the sounds of bottles can be heard in the background and which features some tracks where both Cook and Moore are slurring their words, the videotaped release of "Derek and Clive get the Horn", most of which ended up on "Ad Nauseum", shows a very sober looking Cook and Moore drinking coffee and water throughout. Likewise the first record "Derek and Clive" features studio tracks where both Cook and Moore are clearly sober. It's probable that this assumption derived from the front and back cover of "Come Again" where Cook and Moore are holding drinks and appear to be drunk.

Later taped and CD releases of "Come Again" and "Ad Nauseum" featured out-takes not previously released - most were recorded during the "Ad Nauseum" sessions. Surreal at times, these included "Mother" (featured on "Derek and Clive get the Horn") where Cook pretended to visit his over-possessive and deranged mum, ending with Cook telling Moore to "**** off and die" after Moore rants on about seeing Cook's "Ticket" - a reference to his penis, "Intergalatic Sex", "Valerie's Hymen", where Moore discussed cutting out his wife's hymen with a carving knife and "Lady Vera **** Teller" where Moore elaborates on a visit to a fortune teller who could tell his future by examining his "farts". Transcripts of further, unreleased, 'out-takes' are available in a book entitled "Come Again", edited by William Cook and feature "General Eisenhower", where Cook reflects on the perils of counting the late General's dandruff flakes, "Vietnam", where Moore received a paper cut inflicted by the Viet Cong; in one insightful remark Cook mentions a "friend" of his who fought in Vietnam but he's not sure "on which side" and "A Million Pounds", where Cook plays an hysterical woman looking for a million pounds off a sympathetic Moore. The remaining unreleased out-takes are variations on actual releases.
  • Like 3

Hi All,

Playing another of the LPs from the Liz Phair Box Set,

444883450_LizPhair.jpg.37e442ee842869249a5abbfb70ceeba8.jpg

Sooty (Girly-Sound Tape 3)
I1    Gigolo    
I2    Flower    
I3    Batmobile    
I4    Slave    
I5    Open Season    
I6    Whip Smart    
J1    Suckerfish    
J2    California    
J3    South Dakota    
J4    Bomb    
J5    Easy    
J6    Chopsticks

JJ

• Like 5

I may have mentioned this before 

One of m6 favourite instruments is the Clarinet 

This is a golden greats compilation and the clarinet is the star 

I may have played & posted about this album a while ago, but it’s great to listen to it again 

Artist - Various 

Title – Golden Hour Of Clarinet Jazz Giants

2446-BD7-B-DA45-44-E7-8-D83-42-E69-E5043

9-F4-BC7-F8-17-DE-454-A-9-E4-E-DED49-CA2

• Like 7

Probably not real smart posting a tt image after Guzzista.

Devin Townsend - Addicted. Devin’s trademark is a wall of sound, I can’t believe how good my new phono stage is at revealing all the details, plenty of sounds I’ve never heard before.

3D76D28D-0AAE-4269-8286-298B0AD86F69.jpeg

Edited by awayward
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, awayward said:

Probably not real smart posting a tt image after Guzzista.

Devin Townsend - Addicted. Devon’s trademark is a wall of sound, I can’t believe how good my new phono stage is at revealing all the details, plenty of sounds I’ve never heard before.

3D76D28D-0AAE-4269-8286-298B0AD86F69.jpeg

Hearing is believing! It’s that simple mate, enjoy the music.

• Like 3

One of my favourite albums of all time - and for me it’s largely the end of the Dylan era.

This can still be bought brand new (probably in Australia too). The big winner are people who can’t justify the $$$ for this one...  The ‘normal’ MoFi (I think there’s 2?) of this can be had for about $80 once you ship it from OS (or pay for someone to already have done so). It crashed in value since the onestep has been available, but that probably won’t last.

If, for you, this is one of the greatest albums ever made, grab a MoFi of some description before the vultures want $1k for the one step and the older version is $300.

C7CA08E0-2B70-4657-A0EC-32163274915C.jpeg

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, furtherpale said:

One of my favourite albums of all time - and for me it’s largely end of the Dylan era.

This can still be bought brand new (probably in Australia too). The big winner are people who can’t justify the $$$ for this one...  The ‘normal’ MoFi (I think there’s 2?) of this can be had for about $80 once you ship it from OS (or pay for someone to already have done so). It crashed in value since the onestep has been available, but that probably won’t last.

If, for you, this is one of the greatest albums ever made, grab a MoFi of some description before the vultures want $1k for the one step and the older version is $300.

Preach, brother!   ?

• Like 2

Just played this excellent copy of Bronski Beat Age of Consent for the first time and its simply stunning. .... think I’ll play it again it sounds that good.

DA022A6C-3596-4552-8636-60E6901536AD.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 6