Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Hi All,

Still on Pink Floyd, The Endless River

584662409_EndlessRiver.jpg.232a3b925a05ceb6df80243a3bedec84.jpg

4 minutes ago, hlov said:

That combo must sound fantastic 

Yes, different to the Hana EL cartridge it replaced, The Ortofon has a Fine Line stylus, the Hana an Elliptical stylus. The amount of time used for each is different also, the Hana has about 250 hours use and the Ortofon about 50 hours, so will need another 30-40 hours to be at its best. 

JJ 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Still on Pink Floyd, The Endless River

584662409_EndlessRiver.jpg.232a3b925a05ceb6df80243a3bedec84.jpg

Yes, different to the Hana EL cartridge it replaced, The Ortofon has a Fine Line stylus, the Hana an Elliptical stylus. The amount of time used for each is different also, the Hana has about 250 hours use and the Ortofon about 50 hours, so will need another 30-40 hours to be at its best. 

JJ 

I’m interested in hearing your feedback regarding sibilance on the two carts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

How good is Friday night?

The beer is also good :) have a great night all!

BA00F30E-AF71-448A-8A29-44C024D38B62.jpeg

Friday = Freaking AWESOME !!!!!! 

No beer here but might make myself a Black Russian cocktail.......

Happy Friday back at ya ?

Nice music for a Friday night BTW ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

More great classic jazz that never ages 

A collectors Series LP ( in stereo ) 

Artist - Louis Armstrong and His Allstars 

Title - European Concert Recordings By Ambassador Satch

https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong-And-His-All-Stars-European-Concert-Recordings-By-Ambassador-Satch/release/12557795

7965-FE8-D-F2-C2-4380-AAFF-91-F82025-EAD

• Like 3

13 hours ago, furtherpale said:

How good is Friday night?

The beer is also good :) have a great night all!

BA00F30E-AF71-448A-8A29-44C024D38B62.jpeg

Good choice, how’s the sound quality of that record, I have an original and also a 200 grams but somehow I like the original pressing more

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hlov said:

Good choice, how’s the sound quality of that record, I have an original and also a 200 grams but somehow I like the original pressing more

Polarising - 

It sounds like a professionally made demo tape. Sort of like the Steve Albini masters of in utero, but not quite like bleach (original sub pop pressings or the sub pop analogue reissue - it’s been ruined in new remasters). My second favourite is any 1st pressing - those are still ‘slicker’ than the MoFi, a little compressed, but early ‘90s compressed, not brickwalled and ruined like the new ‘remasters’ (the one’s I’ve heard anyway... I can absolutely appreciate why many (if not most) have this as their go to... we’re talking different as opposed to better/worse.

I’m yet to hear the ORG version, but my understanding is it’s pretty close to the 1st pressings.

Nevermind is my most valuable record (by quite a bit) - but I’d love to have a 1st pressing to have the best of both worlds (I have an original release CD, which gets me through, and the MQA on tidal is pretty good too). It’s just a little hard to justify even further considerable investment for a copy I’d be happy with (NM).

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

Polarising - 

It sounds like a professionally made demo tape. Sort of like the Steve Albini masters of in utero, but not quite like bleach (original sub pop pressings or the sub pop analogue reissue - it’s been ruined in new remasters). My second favourite is any 1st pressing - those are still ‘slicker’ than the MoFi, a little compressed, but early ‘90s compressed, not brickwalled and ruined like the new ‘remasters’ (the one’s I’ve heard anyway... I can absolutely appreciate why many (if not most) have this as their go to... we’re talking different as opposed to better/worse.

I’m yet to hear the ORG version, but my understanding is it’s pretty close to the 1st pressings.

Nevermind is my most valuable record (by quite a bit) - but I’d love to have a 1st pressing to have the best of both worlds (I have an original release CD, which gets me through, and the MQA on tidal is pretty good too). It’s just a little hard to justify even further considerable investment for a copy I’d be happy with (NM).

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, the album is amazing. As I said before I have a 200 grams 45 RPM reissue that sounds ok but nothing spectacular and also have another 80s pressing, after your post not sure if I should call it Original or first pressing anyway here they are ;)
CAB8E0D6-64AE-4E85-B916-C85683AAF2A3.thumb.jpeg.9849eb1b479a9da8a9a674078193a5ec.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hlov said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, the album is amazing. As I said before I have a 200 grams 45 RPM reissue that sounds ok but nothing spectacular and also have another 80s pressing, after your post not sure if I should call it Original or first pressing anyway here they are ;)
CAB8E0D6-64AE-4E85-B916-C85683AAF2A3.thumb.jpeg.9849eb1b479a9da8a9a674078193a5ec.jpeg

Apologies, this is the ORG version: https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/2045333

ORG is sort of like MoFi, but IME more intent on recreating the original release master with a few minor tweaks and more concentration on the quality of the chain first time around, as opposed to a whole new master from scratch like MoFi. Sort of recreating a perfected version of a first pressing, direct from the tape.... when they’re new they are about $70au... so significantly cheaper than a first press, but they catch up.

All three are pricey though! Maybe one day...

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

To Top