Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Hi All,

Khruangbin, Con Todo El Mundo

800447921_KhruangbinConYodoElMundo.jpg.382b32ce451eb2d8d4889df1e96684b0.jpg

From Pitchfork.com

Khruangbin craft atmosphere music that never fades into the background, like some endless curl of smoke that keeps pluming upward. Sprinkled with snippets of spoken word, faint vocal melodies, and ranging and impeccably performed guitar solos, the whole of their second record, Con Todo El Mundo is, in effect, a long and pleasant head nod that seems to hang between continents and eras. The group—whose name is a transliteration of the Thai word for “airplane”—elicits the same eclectic enjoyment of any number of artists that came of age around the turn of the century, from the laid-back trip-hop feel of Kruder & Dorfmeister to dub-jammy Thievery Corporation: Ethereal instrumental music that might be described as “world” as shorthand for its range of melody, rhythm, and overall vibe. But the Houston-based instrumental trio makes music that’s a little more dusty, frayed around the edges, and personal.

Though clearly informed by psychedelic rock, the primary influence that fueled their 2015 debut, The Universe Smiles Upon You, was Thai funk, music that bassist Laura Lee and guitarist Mark Speer found by scouring the Thai music blog, Monrakplengthai. Speer was in a gospel band with hip-hop producer and drummer Donald “DJ” Johnson, who became the third member, adding the more influences to the blend, and plenty of breakbeats. But Con Todo El Mundo broadens the group’s sound, maintaining the funk but also adding bits and pieces of Caribbean, Indian, and Middle Eastern music. Iran is the obvious touchstone in “Maria También,” whose video directly addresses women’s rights in that country. Throw in a few retro surf riffs and whispered vocal lines and you’ve got an aesthetic that feels at home at any beach or desert in the world.

From the laidback first few seconds of guitar, bass, and organ that begins “Cómo Me Quieres” (“How do you love me?” )—the question answered by the album’s title Con Todo El Mundo (“With all the world”)—it’s clear that this music might be the perfect accompaniment to just about any somewhat passive activity. Cooking? Studying? Walking? Riding the bus? Khruangbin have your back. Need to speed it up a little? Skip to the funky, zouk-styled bounce of “Evan Finds the Third Room.” Relaxing around the house on a Sunday afternoon? Try the loping slowness of “A Hymn.” Every track is profoundly pleasant and, at times, even danceable, in a crunchy kind of way.

JJ

• Like 6

Someone was playing Mike Oldfield the other day 

So I’m following up with a spin myself 

Today the record at first or even the second listen can be a little confusing to the listener 

But after a few listens it all comes together when all the complexities meld into one 

Artist - Mike Oldfield 

Title - Ommadawn 

4-FBE0-F6-A-EB35-4-F26-B6-FA-DCCDC51-B2-

• Like 3

On 18/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, mattd2308 said:

Just picked up mail, yes you beauty!

Michael Kiwanuka 

Sounds fantastic, sounds better than the CD which I’ve been playing of late. 

Great depth and scale, “I’ve been dazed”, great track.

6F36F29F-085A-4789-BDF2-2722A848627E.jpeg

385FB695-CAAA-4E93-97C4-760EEC35AA2D.jpeg

How good is this guy,the arrangements on his records are absolutely outstanding,not to mention what fantastic music he makes!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hlov said:

Well this wasn’t on my list but she also has a great voice.

I have inherited this from the missus, it’s an original Polish pressing. It sounds very nice

5F367454-139F-4F17-AFF3-8D750898339E.jpeg

Sounds sweet on Vinyl this one, I am lucky to have the original Aussie pressing - its a gem.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, mattd2308 said:

Just picked up mail, yes you beauty!

Michael Kiwanuka 

Sounds fantastic, sounds better than the CD which I’ve been playing of late. 

Great depth and scale, “I’ve been dazed”, great track.

6F36F29F-085A-4789-BDF2-2722A848627E.jpeg

385FB695-CAAA-4E93-97C4-760EEC35AA2D.jpeg

Ive never heard Michael Kiwanuka before. Listening now on Tidal. Stunning, thanks gents.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, glenm64 said:

Ive never heard Michael Kiwanuka before. Listening now on Tidal. Stunning, thanks gents.

Check out Love and Hate album, also very good. 

Have a look at his latest single on YouTube on "Later.... with Jools" Jools Holland show.

2 hours ago, oots said:

How good is this guy,the arrangements on his records are absolutely outstanding,not to mention what fantastic music he makes!

As previously stated check out his appearance on Jools Holland. 

Slick and tight band. 

45 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

As previously stated check out his appearance on Jools Holland. 

Slick and tight band. 

Haven't seen the Jools Holland clip,many thanks.

48 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

Check out Love and Hate album, also very good. 

Have a look at his latest single on YouTube on "Later.... with Jools" Jools Holland show.

The "intro" to Cold Little Heart is sublime,sends shivers down my spine whenever I play that album.One of the best opening tracks (all 10mns10sec of it) to a record I've ever heard.

• Like 2

@Janjuc

Question 

If you were to buy / replace the Tubular Bells album by Mike Oldfield  

Would you replace it with 
Like for Like 

or 

Replace it with Moolight Shadow that has all the best parts of tubular bells plus some of the best tracks of other albums 

LP

• 1. Tubular Bells - Two Sides Excerpt
  • 2. Amarok Part 1 - Two Sides Excerpt
  • 3. Mike Oldfield's Stream - Theme From Return To Ommadawn Pt. 1
  • 4. Moonlight Shadow - Remastered 2000
  • 5. Sailing
  • 6. Slipstream
  • 7. Guilty - 7" Single Version
  • 8. Good News - Remastered 2000
  • 9. In Dulce Jubilo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Personally I would purchase a copy of the original TB, find which was the best release and attempt to get one of those :thumb:

If all the reviews are to be believed

Then I should look for the 1/2 speed release as they say that it’s very very good 

Think you have that one ? 

• Like 1

Hi @Full Range

I have 2 copies VR 13-105 US pressing when first released and  0600753695036 Double LP, 2016 remastered remix cut using half-speed mastering at Abbey Road Studios, one LP remastered by Mike Oldfield and the other by ?? at Abbey Road.

WWW.DISCOGS.COM

Label: Virgin - VR 13-105 • Format: Vinyl LP, Album FT • Country: US • Genre: Electronic, Rock • Style: Prog Rock, Experimental, Ambient

WWW.DISCOGS.COM

Label: Virgin - 0600753695036,Universal Music Group International - 0600753695036 • Series: Back To Black,Mastered At Abbey Road...

JJ

• Like 4

Hi All,

With all the Tubular Bells talk, threw on one from 'left field' Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells III

1440895268_TBIII.jpg.2a2e31657402e8e5d5e002e25fb4bd5a.jpg

Tracklist:
A1    The Source Of Secrets    
A2    The Watchful Eye    
A3    Jewel In The Crown    
A4    Outcast    
A5    Serpent Dream    
A6    The Inner Child    
B1    Man In The Rain    
B2    The Top Of The Morning    
B3    Moonwatch    
B4    Secrets