Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Hey Guys & Gals...

It's been a wet couple of days here, back to work tomorrow, but have had the time to keep washing a few records.  Getting great results with no casualties.  So far, so good.  There is a bit of a story behind this post, but to keep it from bogging down, I'll keep to the point. 

I grew up listening to Vinyl on a decent Pioneer.  I started collecting and was passionate about music, Heavy Rock and Metal back then.  But, I did grow up listening to melody and especially loved Abba, their records sounded so good when cranked.  I drifted away from Records with CD's, but always bought the odd one or two.  I was right into DJ, House, Techno and Trance for many years, buying a few 12"'s, and always had a turntable. 

I've recently re-gained my enthusiasm for music and Vinyl, as some of you may have noticed.  I'm re-educating my ears and 'listening' again.  I updated my system a little, with new speakers and stylus, and I'm very happy with the set up.  That's where the back story get's a little long, so I'll just write this, I was sold a 'generic' stylus without the guy telling me.  It frustrated me 'cos I couldn't get the sound I wanted.  I ended up getting service from Jayden at 'Beatniks' Records at Broadbeach,  A great guy and excellent Record Store with a decent Metal selection, not big , but good.

Today I washed a couple of oldies that I have bought new re-issues of.  Then compared them with each other, and the generic stylus with my Ortofon 10.

The first thing I noticed was the generic stylus was 'MUCH' louder.  It also sounds snappier and clearer in the top end, but can get a little irritating when turned up.  The Ortofon sounds much better at volume, and a richer overall sound, but does lack a little right at the top.  I would like to hear just a little more 'splash'

Some other Albums I've played in the last two days sound better with the generic, Metallica 'Ride the Lightning', but only up to a certain volume.

This is the first I doubled up with...

Black Sabbath 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' Left - 1973 Vertigo, A W.W.A. Record, Made in Aust.  Right - 1996 Earmark, Made by Abraxas, Italy.

5a9fbea1218df_BlackSabbathSabbathBloodySabbathLeft-1973VertigoAW.W.A.RecordMadeinAust.Right-1996EarmarkMadebyAbraxasItaly..jpg.b36e100f692f506d427fb350b755bd7a.jpg

There are so many variable when comparing Albums, not to mention the subjectivity of it all.  I always thought the original Sabbath was a little thin at the bottom end, but I used to 'turn up the treble', like a lot of white people (Sgt Slick 'White Treble, Black Bass'), to get more volume from my records when I was younger.  I love the original, and glad I kept it, after a wash especially.  Something it has never had before.  So, the re-issue is a lot fatter at the bottom.  The two sound different against each other and with the different stylus.  It's taken a while to appreciate the re-issues, they have their own characteristics which are growing on me.  I really enjoyed playing around with them today, it's all helping me to hear and listen again.

It's pretty much the same story with these two... 

Ozzy Osbourne 'Blizzard of Oz' Left - 1980 CBS, Jet Records, Made in Aust.  Right - 2011 Sony, Jet Records, Essex Music N.Y.

5a9fc103117de_OzzyOsbourneBlizzardofOzLeft-1980CBSJetRecordsMadeinAust.Right-2011SonyJetRecordsEssexMusicN.Y..jpg.d7f1f40f0dbfd250512e56a6bb61cb2f.jpg

I've been a little critical of re-issues that I have bought, Iron Maiden 'Killers' in particular.  I will have to give it another spin after today, because I really enjoyed all four Albums.

This one came out today after mentioning it elsewhere...

'Hard to Believe' KISS Tribute Album 1990 Waterfront Records Aust.

5a9fc1c3656ba_HardtoBelieveKISSTributeAlbum1990WaterfrontRecordsAust..jpg.df7648062dec2a0de2b3e5b6c4ca30d1.jpg

I have no idea how I came to have one red and one black.  I didn't buy it that way, I don't think.

A KISS tribute album featuring

1. "Detroit Rock City" Paul Stanley, Bob Ezrin Bullet LaVolta 4:32
2. "Parasite" Ace Frehley Smelly Tongues 5:06
3. "Snow Blind" Frehley Skin Yard 4:58
4. "Deuce" Gene Simmons Treepeople 4:29
5. "Christine Sixteen" Simmons All 3:47
6. "Calling Dr. Love" Simmons Hullabaloo 5:22
7. "God of Thunder" Stanley Melvins 5:17
8. "Beth" Peter Criss, Ezrin, Stan Penridge Coffin Break 4:38
9. "Rip It Out" Frehley, Larry Kelly, Sue Kelly Chemical People 5:04
10. "I Want You" Stanley King Snake Roost 5:39
11. "Do You Love Me?" Stanley, Ezrin, Kim Fowley Nirvana 5:16
12. "Lick It Up" Stanley, Vinnie Vincent Hard-Ons 4:51
13. "War Machine" Simmons, Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance Instigators 5:27
14. "Makin' Love" Stanley, Sean Delaney Thrust 5:48
15. "Love Gun" Stanley Surfin' Caesars

4:56

Low budget recordings but some sound pretty damned good.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Golden Earing 'Moontan' 1973 Red Bullet Productions - Polydor.

5aa117961f482_GoldenEaringMoontan1973RedBulletProductions-Polydor.jpg.3d51d190298f733f114080de6b9d3024.jpg

Ian Gillan Band  'Child in Time' 1976 Oyster, Polydor Records.

5aa117d152b6e_IanGillanBandChildinTime1976OysterPolydorRecords.jpg.69413631ff54f8069098997efeece06b.jpg

Some really good albums there. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Uriah Heep 'Salisbury' 1972 Bronze Records.  Dist. in Aust by Phonogram Recordings.

5a9b94bbb3943_UriahHeepSalisbury1972BronzeRecords_Dist.inAustbyPhonogramRecordings(CurrentlyPlaying).JPG.bb4ff0b09cb79498ec23c255862fcec0.JPG

Classic early 70's rock, when whole sides of an LP were dedicated to a single song / composition :thumb:

• Like 2

Hey Guys, I haven't looked anything up about this album.  I'm far from any expert, reviewer, or critic, but this album blows me away every time I hear it.  I've not seen it come up anywhere in my limited experience posting on forums.  It's very well recorded and pressed, although I do notice just a little hiss on vocal S's and such (probably my system), the sound stage is great, the musicianship and vocals are excellent and bizarre. 

Love to know if anyone knows it and what you think???

Goodley Creme 'Freeze Frame' 1979 Polydor Records England.

5aaa371f44d00_GoodleyCremeFreezeFrame1979PolydorRecordsEngland..JPG.ba6d800de4b7fba12585282bccbe56b8.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Guys, I haven't looked anything up about this album.  I'm far from any expert, reviewer, or critic, but this album blows me away every time I hear it.  I've not seen it come up anywhere in my limited experience posting on forums.  It's very well recorded and pressed, although I do notice just a little hiss on vocal S's and such (probably my system), the sound stage is great, the musicianship and vocals are excellent and bizarre. 

5aaa371f44d00_GoodleyCremeFreezeFrame1979PolydorRecordsEngland..JPG.ba6d800de4b7fba12585282bccbe56b8.JPG

I have heard this album  back in the mid 80s 

Genre would be Art Rock / Prog Rock 

From memory it has, lots of different twists & tangents and artistic styles 

A nice album ✅

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 2

Sorry I have been a little tardy lately with record spinning 

Its because I am trying to rearrange and catalogue the collection with extra storage shelves 

It’s still a work in progress 

Today I am taking a break and decided to spin a double album

In the vein of a musical journey consisting of 24 tracks similar to, but not exactly the same as   “War Of The Worlds “ style / genre 

Artist - A440 - Ted Neely & Yvonne Iversen 

Title - Ulysses The Greek Suite 

1A9AEE8F-63BF-4840-A7AB-0B8BB7F58603.jpeg

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 2

On 15 March 2018 at 8:04 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

It was produced by the two more experimentally inclined members of 10CC - Kevin Godley (percussion) and Lol Creme ( Guitar) following the dissolution of that band.

In style, if not substance, probably the UK equivalent of the studio perfectionism of STEELY DAN.  IIRC it featured a lot of GIZMO - the guitar attachment similar to the E-bow.

It sold quite well at the time, but seems to have slipped into obscurity. Excellent set, , well done you for bagging the vinyl.

Billy.

Edited by Zen Mister
  • Like 2

On 8 March 2018 at 10:00 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Golden Earing 'Moontan' 1973 Red Bullet Productions - Polydor.

5aa117961f482_GoldenEaringMoontan1973RedBulletProductions-Polydor.jpg.3d51d190298f733f114080de6b9d3024.jpg

Ian Gillan Band  'Child in Time' 1976 Oyster, Polydor Records.

5aa117d152b6e_IanGillanBandChildinTime1976OysterPolydorRecords.jpg.69413631ff54f8069098997efeece06b.jpg

MOONTAN is in my top fifty albums ever. Still play it on a monthly basis to this day.

" Vanilla Queen" " Candys Going Bad" and the immortal full length " Radar Love" the best driving song full stop.

Billy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G'day Folks...

Playing around with a 1976 Technics SU-7200 Amp, through Sharp 'Optonica' speakers, also from the '70's.  Also tried out two, new Harman/Logan H30 satellites with them.  Man!!!  It was sounding very nice.  A selection of Vinyl appropriate to the period...

Led Zeppelin 'IV'  1971 Atlantic Records, WEA Aust.

5aad004dd685d_LedZeppelinIV1971AtlanticRecordsWEAAust..JPG.d61f763ec77577add029350a4f53c277.JPG

'Queen' 1973 Elektra Records, WEA Aust.

5aad008ea8920_Queen1973ElektraRecordsWEAAust..JPG.8e400245c4ad5fac9b369ec79f186c93.JPG

Cream 'Wheels of Fire' 1968 Polydor, Aust.

5aad00d8254d0_CreamWheelsofFire1968PolydorAust..JPG.c2643ba0306611907c82d4db8375719c.JPG

Budgie 'Never Turn Your Back On A Friend' 1973 MCA Records.

5aad0102af3bb_BudgieNeverTurnYourBackOnAFriend1973MCARecords.JPG.12b9a53e351e715808095403a020a797.JPG

Deep Purple 'Machine Head' 1972 EMI Aust.

5aad035c6a447_DeepPurpleMachineHead1972EMIAust..JPG.426ae176a555278209cec785966d0828.JPG

All sounding good.  A nice day of retro music and gear.

Cheers Big Ears

• Like 7

On 15/03/2018 at 8:04 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Godley & Creme, the brains behind 10cc! Showing my age, these guys were big!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godley_%26_Creme

< Freeze Frame (1979) included several songs that gained airplay on alternative radio in many countries, notably "I Pity Inanimate Objects" and "An Englishman in New York", which was accompanied by an innovative music video. Several notable guest performers contributed to the album: Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera played guitar on and co-produced the album tracks "Random Brainwave" and "Clues", Paul McCartney contributed backing vocals to the song "Get Well Soon" and Roxy Music saxophonist Andy Mackay played saxophone on the single-only track "Wide Boy" and also appeared in the song's innovative promotional video. >

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Rocketfrogs said:

They also played in the band that recorded "Space Hymns' way back in 1971spacehymns.jpg.2a987daa08e07c76388d4f9b0824daf9.jpg

indeed!

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/space-hymns/

< Martin Raphael was a former army PT instructor and heating engineer who decided to adopt the name of the Egyptian Pharaoh, Rameses, in order to record an album at Stockport’s Strawberry Studios… but let none of this put you off listening to Space Hymns.

The album features Eric Stewart and Lol Creme on guitar and moog, Kevin Godley on drums on flute while Graham Gouldman plays guitar and bass. They were soon to become 10cc, one of the most innovative pop rock bands ever to come out of Britain. Mr Raphael himself plays sitar. The cover is a classic Roger Dean mind-painting and the album, while virtually unknown in Britain is a cult classic in Germany and South Africa. >

Godley & Creme also invented the Gizmo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gizmo

< The Gizmo, also called Gizmotron,[1] is an effects device for the electric guitar and bass guitar, invented ca. 1973 by the English rock musicians Kevin Godley and Lol Creme, whilst they were members of the British rock group 10cc. Taped onto the body of the guitar, the Gizmo uses small, motor driven plastic wheels to make the strings vibrate, yielding resonant, synthesizer-like sounds from each string. >

< The Gizmo was first used on 10cc's instrumental "Gizmo My Way", a song arranged as a type of laid back beach music, where it appears as a slide guitar effect and sustained background effect. "Gizmo My Way" was the B-side to "The Wall Street Shuffle", and appeared on 10cc's second album, Sheet Music (1974), which included more uses of The Gizmo, most notably on the track "Old Wild Men". Its presence is heard throughout most of the track as a unique shimmering background guitar effect. The Gizmo was also used on the Sheet Music track "Baron Samedi".[citation needed]

The Gizmo continued to be used on 10cc's subsequent albums The Original Soundtrack (1975) and How Dare You! (1976) on the tracks "Brand New Day", "Iceberg", and "Don't Hang Up".

Godley & Creme

The Gizmo's ability to create a wide range of sounds was central to the production of Godley and Creme's first post-10cc project, the 1977 triple concept album, Consequences. Godley and Creme left 10cc to create Consequences which was intended to be a promotional album to market the "Gizmo". According to Paul Gambaccini's sleeve notes for Consequences,[6] 10cc were unable to afford an orchestra for their early albums, so Creme and Godley imagined an effects unit that would enable a guitar to produce violin-like sounds (this was some years before the introduction of the polyphonic synthesiser and long before the development of digital sampling).

Other Godley & Creme albums featuring the Gizmo include L and Freeze Frame.

Mechanism

The device, a small box attached to the bridge of the guitar, consists of six small motor-driven wheels with serrated edges to match the size of each string. The continuous bowing action is activated by pressing one or all of keys located on the top of the unit. Pressing a key allows the wheel to descend against a motor-driven shaft and bow the corresponding string, while the other hand remains free to fret single notes or full chords. An extremely powerful[according to whom?] sound can be created that changes dynamically depending on how hard or soft the wheels are pressed against the strings. The sound is also affected by the type of guitar strings (round-wound or flat-wound). >

Martin Raphael was a former army PT instructor and heating engineer who decided to adopt the name of the Egyptian Pharaoh, Rameses, in order to record an album at Stockport’s Strawberry Studios… but let none of this put you off listening to Space HymnsThe album features Eric Stewart and Lol Creme on guitar and moog, Kevin Godley on drums on flute while Graham Gouldman plays guitar and bass. They were soon to become 10cc, one of the most innovative pop rock bands ever to come out of Britain. Mr Raphael himself plays sitar. The cover is a classic Roger Dean mind-painting and the album, while virtually unknown in Britain is a cult classic in Germany and South Africa.Space Hymns was released on the Vertigo label in 1971 and is very well worth a listen. The link takes you to Space Hymns on Spotify. >

• Like 2

Organising the collection in a newly installed record storage unit 

Have unearthed some rare prog and other genres LPs 

When I finish my task & hoping that I will unearth more - I will play and present them  as time permits ?

• Like 1

Hey @Ian McP: thanks for all that info man.  I've had this record for years, but only just started listening to it.  It's one I never hear anything about, and after listening a few times lately, it really stands out.  I knew there had to be more to this Record.

I still haven't checked anything on line about it.  I prefer to find out what you guys think about albums, rather than reviews, critiques and advertising.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Today I went extreme Metal.  I've posted on the Metal thread, but wanted to give you guys a taste as well.  It started lightly with some early Electronic/Industrial Techno from Belgium...

Front 242 'Official Version' 1987 Nettwerk Prod. Capitol Records, Made in Canada.

5ab23f4aae82d_Front242OfficialVersion1987NettwerkProd.CapitolRecordsCanada.JPG.cf0d932d41b80678c0ca3fe813c8345c.JPG

It was then a day of brutal Metal.  My pick for the day was this one...

Cephalic Carnage 'Anomolies' 2005 Relapse Records, USA.

5ab23fdf6fb81_CephalicCarnageAnomolies2005RelapseRecordsUSA.JPG.7ee931fdccf706e68c2b8305d5beacfc.JPG

These guys are considered 'Grind Core'.  Not a genre that even I listen to, normally.  This band resonate with me for a few reasons.  They have a depth to their lyrics, a good sense of humour and a clarity that is usually absent from Grind Core.  They love their weed.  Nice production and pressing.

• Like 1

Another find of many to be presented as time permits 

A superb concept / prog album that has 4 tracks depicting Earth - Water - Air - Fire

Artist - Patch 

Title - The Star Suite 

Aust Pressing

Cat # SHVL612

1E446A79-CF12-4DC0-8680-522697BBB66C.jpeg

• Like 3