Vinyl - Currently Spinning

This is a very enjoyable album you just can't help listening to it 

Roy Buchanan is a great artist and this album is no exception 

Also does a fine job on this album doing a Neal Young cover - Down By The River 

Artist - Roy Buchanan 

Title - Your Not Alone 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca294701d3e17fd765ea7ddfdedee451.jpeg

Have a couple of Roy's LP's great artist, managed to see him live as well[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

This is in memory of John Wetton that passed away Jan 2017 

A truely gifted individual  

Sought after by many bands and excelled in all  

I think this album was his first Solo album

Artist - John Wetton 

Album - Caught In The Crossfire

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I missed that news. RIP John.

I first met you here, and my copy is now well-worn or well-loved.

Hah, it's both:

Phil_Manzanera_-_Diamond_Head_-_1975.jpg

and then I was surprised to find you here:

Bandstand 1972.jpg

Following your career led me to some treasures

Red,_King_Crimson.jpg

and some confusing moments

Ferrymind.jpg

and I'm glad you made it big, but really this seemed a long way from the story of Johnny B. Goode, too far for me:

Asia_-_Asia_(1982)_front_cover.jpg

and I never 'got' what UK was all about.

You featured on one of my desert island discs

Warmjetsvinyl.jpg

and for this alone, and without counting all your other work, I'm certain you're in a rock'n'roll heaven.

R.I.P.

• Like 2

You mean from THE English band called New Order.  Just about the best band of the 1980's and came out of the sadness that was the end of Joy Division.
    Blue Monday is the biggest selling 12 inch single of all time and was only ever released as a single.   Even the album Power, Corruption & Lies used to have stickers saying - Does NOT Include Blue Monday.

Awesome song and awesome band :thumb:

Apparently the packaging on the first release of the 12" cost more to produce than the selling price so they made a loss... A big best selling loss.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Feeling like a bit of rock tonight 

Anyone for T. Rex

I have 4 albums in the collection and I chose to play the first 2 releases 

Album - T. Rex 1st release 

Artist - T. Rex 

&

Album - Electric Warrior 2nd release

Artist - T. Rex 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

Apparently the packaging on the first release of the 12" cost more to produce than the selling price so they made a loss... A big best selling loss.

Sounds plausable 

The songs are awesome  

• Like 1

@ThirdDrawerDown This is for you 

I am very fortunate to have another John Wetton album 

A collaboration with one of his mates Phil Manzanera 

Artists - John Wetton & Phil Manzanera 

Album - Wetton Manzanera 

John Wetton will be missed greatly 

His tenure was amazing with King Crimson RIP 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

24 hour party people is worth a watch if you were watching Granada reports or heading out into the madchester scene in the late 80's early 90's. I obliviously went to the Hacienda during that time and had too much fun. Imagine that, a scouser drinking in Manchester and never feeling unwelcome.... Anthony Wilson was a very charismatic man who loved music. Martin Hannett a crazy recording genius then throw in New Order, The Happy mondays and a sprinkling of other bits'n'bobs.... Well it's probably worth a watch if you were into that kinda thing.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

24 hour party people is worth a watch if you were watching Granada reports or heading out into the madchester scene in the late 80's early 90's. I obliviously went to the Hacienda during that time and had too much fun. Imagine that, a scouser drinking in Manchester and never feeling unwelcome.... Anthony Wilson was a very charismatic man who loved music. Martin Hannett a crazy recording genius then throw in New Order, The Happy mondays and a sprinkling of other bits'n'bobs.... Well it's probably worth a watch if you were into that kinda thing.....

Had a quick look at the movie trailer 

I will search the movie out 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I think you may find its an urban myth.

New Order's fifth single. A milestone, both by musical standards and by design standards. Sold over 1 million copies globally. But because at the time of release, Factory weren't part of the BPI, there are no reliable figures nor certifications or awards. 
Initial editions were released in March 1983 with die-cut cover and cut outs and a thick silver inner sleeve, designed by Peter Saville. 
Cover variations: Die-cut with cut-outs, die-cut without cut-outs, plain printed. 
Inner sleeve variations: Thick glossy silver, thin matte silver, thick glossy black or thin matte black. 
All bear the colour code, spelling "FAC 73 Blue Monday And The Beach New Order". 
There is a common misconception that Factory lost money on the release due to the design. The sleeve did cost so much that it actually denied Factory an extra profit of just under 1 UK Pence on each copy sold. But demand and production cost and timings meant that the sleeve became progressively more simple with each repressing. 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I think you may find its an urban myth.

New Order's fifth single. A milestone, both by musical standards and by design standards. Sold over 1 million copies globally. But because at the time of release, Factory weren't part of the BPI, there are no reliable figures nor certifications or awards. 
Initial editions were released in March 1983 with die-cut cover and cut outs and a thick silver inner sleeve, designed by Peter Saville. 
Cover variations: Die-cut with cut-outs, die-cut without cut-outs, plain printed. 
Inner sleeve variations: Thick glossy silver, thin matte silver, thick glossy black or thin matte black. 
All bear the colour code, spelling "FAC 73 Blue Monday And The Beach New Order". 
There is a common misconception that Factory lost money on the release due to the design. The sleeve did cost so much that it actually denied Factory an extra profit of just under 1 UK Pence on each copy sold. But demand and production cost and timings meant that the sleeve became progressively more simple with each repressing. 

Very interesting information 

I read on wiki that the band did not even proof read before going to print ?

Not sure what version or incarnation my album is but I have one with a New Zealand connection 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

24 hour party people is worth a watch if you were watching Granada reports or heading out into the madchester scene in the late 80's early 90's. 

I just finished reading "Substance" by Peter Hook. Recommended for the fans of New Order or just interested in the whole Factory, Hacienda, Madchester scene. Classic sex drugs and rock n roll story with many twats (Hooky didn't suffer fools). Many lessons about how not to run a club, a record label and bad record deals. From my read New Order members missed out on a fortune due to poor/no advice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Hi FR that's definitely the 12" single.  For it to be an album it would need more songs or be longer, say 40 minutes, and almost always these play at 33rpm. Your disc would sound odd at 33rpm!

Yes if I'm reading your post right -you are correct @ThirdDrawerDown

On this particular record pressing from New Zealand 

It has on the record label the speed printed on it @ 45PRM (both sides)

And I play it at 45 as it sounds funny on 33.3 

Discogs info on my copy - https://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Blue-Monday/release/705934

• Like 1

You may have read my review of the M2 amp 

I have tested it thoroughly and going through my albums with renewed enthusiasm

@progladyte loves this album ( well I'm sure it's well regarded by him )

Today's record spinning is 

Artist - Steve Hackett

Album - Voyage of the Acolyte

Instructions are 

Gotta listen to this album  a few times to appreciate its brilliance 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Home alone and quiet for me to spin some records again 

This is a release that gets playtime almost once a week be it vinyl, CD or digital 

A perennial favourite from an array of superb artists 

Artist - Various and all incredible ( See photo ) 

Title - 801 LIVE

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Today was Frank Zappa day 

One after the other the albums kept spinning 

Although I have only 5 albums in vinyl I have over 80 titles in digital format 

When I got to the - Just another band from LA album and listened to Billy The Mountain - I got a memory flash when the town/suburb Glendale was mentioned 

Why - because I lived in Glendale Newcastle NSW

Artist - Frank Zappa 

Albums -

Chungas Revenge

Just another band from LA 

Joes Garage Acr 1, 2 & 3

Tinseltown Rebellion  

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Today's selection is out of left field 

Its one of many albums that I use as test records but the music is very enjoyable none the less 

Album - This is His Masters Voice QUADRAPHONIC SOUND 

Artists - Various 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

And now back to normal programming 

The Master - Robert  Fripp, purchased this album when it was first released 

Artist - Robert Fripp 

Album - Exposure 

What can I say - Superb again 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

@Full Range you have it in a nutshell. Exposure is one of the greatest debut solo albums ever released. Drawing on elements of the final incarnation (to that point) of King Crimson and beyond, and then extrapolating the whole lot into the future. In the early eighties I used to make people listen to this album whilst at the same time telling them that it was the musical blueprint for the next ten years. Almost forty years later it remains a cutting edge, seat of your pants ride that never fails to reward the listener in new and unexpected ways. Not to be played to young people just starting to learn an instrument; the bar is set so high here it would only be discouraging.

• Like 1

@Full Range, after looking at some more of your posts in this thread, I'm beginning to think that you're my long lost musical Siamese twin. I've never lived in Glendale though when I'm at home I like to crank out a few Watts. And I've been considering a trip to Montreal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

I was listening to some Dr John over at @evil c 's the other day :thumb:

Had to dust this one off and give it a spin on its 42nd birthday!

Artist: Dr John

Title: Hollywood by thy name

Featuring Vanetta Fields as a "Creolette"

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

Great, let everyone know I've rammed Dr John down your throat - @Luc takes much delight in mocking my old timers nostalgia playlist ! :(

It is getting on a bit this one Pete - bit of a mixed bag with Live albums (and old Dr John) but it's all about recreating the concert atmosphere rather than focusing on the sound quality constantly isn't it? ;)

• Like 1