421D9D41-2A0B-4232-88C8-13FF755045B6.thumb.jpeg.7154518f2ab6b14521733a71c094272d.jpeg

John Prine

The Missing Years

2017 Repress 

I wasn’t sure about this 1991 album on vinyl as the first ever vinyl version was released in 2013, pressed by URP. However, happy to now have it as it sounds clean, clear and dynamic unlike most URP pressings, if not just a tad bright/digital like. Surprised there’s not even one tick to be heard!

It won the 1992 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Folk Album.

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janjuc

• hlov

• Full Range

• April Snow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Hector.  I have it and a great album it is.           Thanks to @evil c   Donald Fagen - The Nightfly    Mofi one step release.   High standard

Now I want the real thing! Pink Floyd "Animals" 2016 remaster, Dutch pressing.  

Smokin' is right! One of my favourite "live" albums.

16186328815346482871752150155994.jpg

• Like 6

Madonna

I'm Breathless

US Standard Release

US Club Edition 

Australian Promo only 

Australia Standard Release

Europe Standard Release

Spinning the Europe one .................just love this album - wish Madonna would do a full on Jazz record.

and of course there is always the original CD I brought in 1990 ?

IMG_9302.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 12

Hi All,

Vulture Culture, The Alan Parsons Project

33833296_VultureCultureTheAlanParsonsProject.jpg.eeb836a21304d6b0d5e4e723f03e0f82.jpg

• Like 6

PXL_20210416_233824213.thumb.jpg.d3063180102d59bd6a476f3b1e242c7b.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976)

Stevie Wonder's run of albums in the early-mid 70s was extraordinary. This is often picked as the best of that run, but I play it and connect with it less than others. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I came to it later, maybe because it's sprawling length (2xLP + 7") makes it less accessible, maybe because it has less hard funk than earlier albums. Still a great record from an outstanding talent.

Edited by Monty
Early-mid 70s der
  • Like 7

Hi All,

Tin Machine, Japan 1992, Live

1753927463_TinMachineJapan1992.jpg.37ab69a6ed7b1b56aa1fa859177a2482.jpg

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Now spinning an album from 1978 by a Canadian rock band 

They only released 3 LPs and I just happened to like and purchase this one when released 

The group opened for The Stampeders, Rush, April Wine and Max Webster.

Artist - Ian Thomas Band 

Title - Still Here 

Album ID -  https://www.discogs.com/Ian-Thomas-Band-Still-Here/release/8823283

B615-F6-EE-FBC7-4251-A612-9631-F03-E3-C8

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 5

TISM - Machiavelli and the Four Seasons + Machines Against The Rage (MATR)

R-2122871-1349437155-4299.jpeg.jpg

R-2949711-1591632518-9051.jpeg.jpg

R-4970225-1477730818-2850.jpeg.jpg

R-2949711-1591632529-9227.jpeg.jpg

R-2949711-1591632480-6782.jpeg.jpg

R-2949711-1591632478-3559.jpeg.jpg

...a double CD not vinyl...sorry....sadly not available on vinyl AFAIK....pure gold that will never die

(a slab that Bon Scott drank notwithstanding)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Monty said:

PXL_20210416_233824213.thumb.jpg.d3063180102d59bd6a476f3b1e242c7b.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976)

Stevie Wonder's run of albums in the early-mid 70s was extraordinary. This is often picked as the best of that run, but I play it and connect with it less than others. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I came to it later, maybe because it's sprawling length (2xLP + 7") makes it less accessible, maybe because it has less hard funk than earlier albums. Still a great record from an outstanding talent.

Totally agree, that era was awesome, my favourite is Talking book

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, hlov said:

Totally agree, that era was awesome, my favourite is Talking book

Talking Book or Innervisions for me.

• Like 1

PXL_20210417_074214703_MP.thumb.jpg.343494c544305a58679713137ff12458.jpg

Marie 'Queenie' Lyons - Soul Fever (1970)

Sticking with 70s soul for now, from a lesser known soul diva whom I first encountered via the highly recommended 'I'm A Good Woman' compilation series. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, April Snow said:

Freddie Mercury

Barcelona Special Edition

Europe

IMG_9306.JPG

They used to play the song Barcelona on the font mágica de Montjuïc in Barcelona :)

• Love 1

GANGgajang - self titled

I have a CD compilation that I picked up in a bargain bin back in the nineties but was never really happy with the sound, it was overly compressed to the point that it sounds like an FM broadcast.

This chunk of vinyl though, much better (Mercury pressing rather than the original Truetone).  The overly familiar "Sounds of then" is as fresh as a daisy.

It's funny to think the band originated from the band put together to do "Sweet and sour", or that quintessential slice of aussie life described in "Sounds of then" is something most of us would have  never experienced (canefields, cattle) although I think a lot of people are still financing beds.

The $15 paid at David Jones by the original purchaser - $45 dollars today.

20210418_091755.jpg

• Like 9

Hi All,

Carmina Burana, Carl Orff

964723769_CarminaBurana.jpg.5890911d20c19fe046fa0cc164d834bf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Doc Powell - The Doctor

Label: Signoricci Vinyl

Stunning SQ - full analogue chain audiophile pressing of Doc Powell - an extremely talented jazz guitarist.

Recorded in Italy and pressed in Japan from what I can see.

I am thoroughly enjoying this. 

FullSizeRender-preview.thumb.JPG.0c071bcc4eeeed62a8cb7420525201d8.JPG

• Like 3

Australian Crawl - Phalanx

Contains a dreadful cover of "Louie Louie" where James Reyne finds it necessary to explain the lyrics to the audience (I mean why?  I think I would have chucked my can at the stage).

I remember it stinking up bargain bins at record shops for years and now it stinks up charity shop vinyl crates but it's not bad.  There is a tougher edge to the sound that never came across on the other records.

edit:  Boys Light Up and Reckless really benefit from that raw sound.  As a chunky "best of" it works well.

20210418_101940.jpg

Edited by Old Man Rubber
added detail
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Hi All,

Procol Harum Live

514708572_ProcolHarumLive.jpg.334e4ad61e12064b6aed9abc9ff5e7df.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Old Man Rubber said:

It's funny to think the band originated from the band put together to do "Sweet and sour", or that quintessential slice of aussie life described in "Sounds of then" is something most of us would have  never experienced (canefields, cattle) although I think a lot of people are still financing beds.

I married a girl & her family worked and lived around cane fields and cattle ( have many B&W photos of manual cane cutting) 

My family also were in agriculture overseas before we came to Australia 

I have experienced most of what’s in those lyrics mentioned 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Here are the lyrics of 

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then 

I think I hear the sounds of then,
And people talking,
The scenes recalled, by minute movement,
And songs they fall, from the backing tape.
That certain texture, that certain smell,

To lie in sweat, on familiar sheets,
In brick veneer on financed beds.
In a room, of silent hardiflex
Brings home the heavy days,
Brings home the the night time swell,

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

The block is awkward - it faces west,
With long diagonals, sloping too.
And in the distance, through the heat haze,
In convoys of silence the cattle graze.

That certain texture, that certain beat,
Brings forth the night time heat.

Laugh and think that this is Australia.

To lie in sweat, on familiar sheets,
In brick veneer on financed beds.
In a room of silent hardiflex
Brings forth the heavy days,
Brings forth the night time sweat
Laugh and think, this is Australia.
This is Australia etc.

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Mental as Anything - Espresso Bongo

"Come Around" probably the standout track on this but it's fun the whole way through and unlike some of the later records doesn't have a quirky cover version on it, all original songs from the band members.  It's better for it too. 

Strangely the CD re-issue from the 1980s is hideously expensive, the LP can be had for little or no money. 

20210418_110350.jpg

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

INXS - Kick.

Sounding great.

IMG_2496.thumb.JPG.0ac6b5a2b0faafb86c2724ed3cc34b6d.JPG

one of my fav albums.  If you can find the 2017 30th anniversary Miles Showell Abby Rd half speed mastered 45rpm version of Kick, grab it.    It is better in every way possible to the mofi - you will be amazed.  bigger, wider, deeper, clearer, more detail, less brightness, clearer more lifelike  vocals.   

The mofi cover is better thou.

Ayut9X7.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

one of my fav albums.  If you can find the 2017 30th anniversary Miles Showell Abby Rd half speed mastered 45rpm version of Kick, grab it.    It is better in every way possible to the mofi - you will be amazed.  bigger, wider, deeper, clearer, more detail, less brightness, clearer more lifelike  vocals.   

The mofi cover is better thou.

Ayut9X7.jpg

Will keep on the lookout.  Thanks :).  I always wonder if I should put up new posts on which pressing of an album to buy before spending $100+ but that would get a bit tiresome I suppose.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Will keep on the lookout.  Thanks :).  I always wonder if I should put up new posts on which pressing of an album to buy before spending $100+ but that would get a bit tiresome I suppose.

you can sell the mofi for more than it costs for the Abbey Rd if you want to. :)

Hi All,

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Rust Never Sleeps

1472780975_NeilYoungandCrazyHorseRustNeverSleeps.jpg.9aebbaf1680a0e25c025262fd91c9300.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Hi All,

Neil Young, Home Grown

804864207_NeilYoungHomeGrown.jpg.b8c21ed290f683bff0c3cc7e3fef406e.jpg

• Like 6

Hi All,

Something quiet to end today's plays, Alaskan Tapes, In Distance We're Losing

27898210_AlaskanInDistance.jpg.a3c9382c8aa9ec708d4f82c7919cd9a8.jpg 

• Like 6

The Whitlams ‎– Eternal Nightcap - after seeing this go for $450 in the SNA classifies today, thought I would give it a spin.  I would have sold mine for a lot less :)

Jmxm6kQ.jpg

• Like 5

Santana - Carvanserai (1972)

Santana - Caravanserai (1972)

such 70's cover art and one of the best & most accomplished end-to-end Santana albums

• Like 8

Berlin - Dancing In Berlin (dance remix)

Giorgio Morodor produced 12", bass heavy and po faced, never forget dancing was serious business back in the 1980s.  Sounds a lot like the various bits and pieces done for "Top Gun" and Berlin of course ended up on that sound track.

I mean, look at those dudes faces, they are taking no prisoners!

20210419_083328.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1