Vinyl - Currently Spinning

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Ken, I think there may have been an issue with a batch of MoFi sleeves that was leaving a residue on the LPs, but I believe that MoFi got on top of it pretty quickly and the problem was resolved. 

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith.

I suspected as much. MoFi would be straight on it.

Had a listen to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue, as you suggested. It is really good isn't it (another one for the list).

Further to your previous conversation, l came across her when l first came across Kurt Maloo.

The good thing about Spotify is they cross reference artists that you like, and then they chuck other artist that are similar at you. And she came to my attention that way.

Another artist they came up, at about the same time, that l like also is a guy called John Martyn. No doubt you have heard of him.

Unlike Patricia, l purchased his album Sapphire on cd. I really like it. Played it last night and thought wow. Worth the purchase.

When l am entering new territory, l like have a good listen via streaming before l commit. Until l got the Kurt Maloo, l had completely forgotton about Patricia. But it jogged my memory. So when l was talking about Kurt's album, l thought she was worth a mention.

Deffinitely will be purchasing her music at some stage.

I am, thanks part to you, really starting to get into this type of music. (What ever genre it is). 

As you say, through a good system, and l have one; they sound really special. Even on cd.  I think this type of music is very well produced, and on vinyl, it would sound sensational.

Anyway will be having another listen to John Martyn this afternoon and will be following up on his back catalogue too. One power ball. ?

Sorry for rambling on. When l get excited about something, l like to talk about it. I wish others were more forth coming, instead of just posting an album cover. But that is just me l guess. When l hear something that l feel is exceptual, l want to share and shout it from the roof tops. LOL.

Happy Listening.

Cheers Ken.

1588060316006243541774175142510.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, metal beat said:

be careful  see link below  -    personally I would not touch Mofi sleeves.

MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl

Yes I have read about that on the SHF, but that was from 2012 and Mofi became aware of some faulty ones & replaced them. I have only been buying them the last couple of months so I am sure all will fine. :D

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Hi Shane, I've been using MoFi sleeves I reckon for 8 - 10 years as well as selling thousands of them through the Vinyl Eyeyears and I have not had one issue with them, either for myself or from any customers. I'm still supplying MoFi sleeves to one shop in Sydney that uses at least 1000 per month and they have never had an issue. From my experience, they are a good quality inner sleeve and I can't see any reason why I would stop using or recommending them.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

I will continue to use them with confidence as they are amazing & the benefits outweigh any concerns. They also made it clear that "if" you did find you had a faulty one from that batch in your collection, the residue will just wash off and do no harm to the records. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Have checked all mine MB. Not a blemish anyware. Some are over 2 years old.

Maybe a bad batch. And the complaint was in 2012. I didn't read all the post though, so l don't know when the post was end dated. 

But will keep an eye on them for sure. But l think they are a good product.

Cheers Ken.

Me too, I also noted the was from 8 years ago (2012) I will monitor my own too -  I think they are an excellent product and I shall keep an eye on my own collection too. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Keith.

I suspected as much. MoFi would be straight on it.

Had a listen to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue, as you suggested. It is really good isn't it (another one for the list).

Further to your previous conversation, l came across her when l first came across Kurt Maloo.

The good thing about Spotify is they cross reference artists that you like, and then they chuck other artist that are similar at you. And she came to my attention that way.

Another artist they came up, at about the same time, that l like also is a guy called John Martyn. No doubt you have heard of him.

Unlike Patricia, l purchased his album Sapphire on cd. I really like it. Played it last night and thought wow. Worth the purchase.

When l am entering new territory, l like have a good listen via streaming before l commit. Until l got the Kurt Maloo, l had completely forgotton about Patricia. But it jogged my memory. So when l was talking about Kurt's album, l thought she was worth a mention.

Deffinitely will be purchasing her music at some stage.

I am, thanks part to you, really starting to get into this type of music. (What ever genre it is). 

As you say, through a good system, and l have one; they sound really special. Even on cd.  I think this type of music is very well produced, and on vinyl, it would sound sensational.

Anyway will be having another listen to John Martyn this afternoon and will be following up on his back catalogue too. One power ball. ?

Sorry for rambling on. When l get excited about something, l like to talk about it. I wish others were more forth coming, instead of just posting an album cover. But that is just me l guess. When l hear something that l feel is exceptual, l want to share and shout it from the roof tops. LOL.

Happy Listening.

Cheers Ken.

1588060316006243541774175142510.jpg

Hey Ken, you know you can hang those CDs outside and they’ll keep those pesky birds away from crapping all over your outdoor setting!?

I do have several John Martyn albums and he is a very diverse artist and hard to categorise. I like him especially when he is in a folky, blues mood and he can be very engaging.

Any of those early Patricia Barber albums are worth investing in, but like I say, she is an acquired taste. I rarely listen to Spotify, in the car sometimes, but I’d say all those streaming platforms would give you tips to similar artists and that can often introduce you to new music that you would otherwise not have been aware of.

Don’t have any concerns with using MoFi inner sleeves with your LPs, they are a 1st class product and will only look after your vinyl collection.?

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Hey Ken, you know you can hang those CDs outside and they’ll keep those pesky birds away from crapping all over your outdoor setting!?

I do have several John Martyn albums and he is a very diverse artist and hard to categorise. I like him especially when he is in a folky, blues mood and he can be very engaging.

Any of those early Patricia Barber albums are worth investing in, but like I say, she is an acquired taste. I rarely listen to Spotify, in the car sometimes, but I’d say all those streaming platforms would give you tips to similar artists and that can often introduce you to new music that you would otherwise not have been aware of.

Don’t have any concerns with using MoFi inner sleeves with your LPs, they are a 1st class product and will only look after your vinyl collection.?

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith.

I am slowly gravitating towards more vinyl, especially now that l have a decent tt. But l find that a lot of the artists l like, still do not bring their albums out on vinyl. But in all honesty, l still think CDs have their place...apart from scaring birds. Oh, and beer coasters. I think in the main, they sound great. And I've got so many of the bloody things.

Update on the skipping record saga.

So l send them a video on Friday. They got back to me yesterday saying that they had no stock, so l would have to send the whole box set back and get a refund.

So l said: It's only one record and l would like to keep the other ones, as l would rather have some than none at all. The do sound really nice.  Anyway, they got back to me tonight saying that they would refund me 20% back. So good out come l think. Only down side is that they only seem to answer one email a night. So it's getting quite protracted. But they made no mention of me sending the faulty album back. Not sure if l will keep it or flog it off. Fortunately, it is the last song and only about 30 seconds from finishing. But l think l am too OCD to live with it. But others may not be so fussy.

If not, I will get a good German pressing to replace it. It wont be half speed mastered, but l think l can live with that. I have tried finding a half mastered copy, but outside the box set, they don't seem to be available, except one. The Ghost in the Machine album does one, but that's it as far as l can find?

The German pressings still use the original label, A&M, same as the half mastered one. Amazon/JBs are on a different label. I'm assuming the German pressing would be a superior copy ( at twice the price). But you would know more about that than me...Oh Wise Vinyl Guru.

Anyway that's me done for the day. My bed awaits. Until next time.

Ken.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder. 45rpm 2LP on Blue Note Stereo. Wow, could these blokes play.......bloody great album.:thumb:

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.JPG

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder [back cover].JPG

it is a must listen / own if you want to enjoy Jazz.  This and Leeway are his best 2 releases in my opinion.  Vol 3, Candy and Indeed close runners up.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/29976-Lee-Morgan

• Like 3

6 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Keith.

I am slowly gravitating towards more vinyl, especially now that l have a decent tt. But l find that a lot of the artists l like, still do not bring their albums out on vinyl. 

Anyway, they got back to me tonight saying that they would refund me 20% back. So good out come l think. 

If not, I will get a good German pressing to replace it. It wont be half speed mastered, but l think l can live with that. I have tried finding a half mastered copy, but outside the box set, they don't seem to be available, except one. The Ghost in the Machine album does one, but that's it as far as l can find?

The German pressings still use the original label, A&M, same as the half mastered one. Amazon/JBs are on a different label. I'm assuming the German pressing would be a superior copy ( at twice the price). But you would know more about that than me...Oh Wise Vinyl Guru.

Ken.

That is great you have come to an agreement with the seller, and they will offer a partial refund - sounds like they may not want you to post the faulty LP back either as it would just be more expense for them? They will no doubt clarify in their reply to you. I feel sorry for sellers because it is not their fault when something arrives faulty - and yet they have to wear the expenses.

I am disappointed some artists do not have vinyl versions of their albums too.................still that may change in the future we hope.

CDs certainly do have their place for convenience and sometimes are better than some of the vinyl issues  - but Vinyl sounds better to me overall to be honest - but both happily live in my collection.

Regarding pressings - I find that Discogs is my best friend there, look up the issues and see which one has best on the reviews there - each country can have it's good and bad pressings...........I like to research before purchasing. 

Glad things worked out with your faulty disc though ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Keith.

I am slowly gravitating towards more vinyl, especially now that l have a decent tt. But l find that a lot of the artists l like, still do not bring their albums out on vinyl. But in all honesty, l still think CDs have their place...apart from scaring birds. Oh, and beer coasters. I think in the main, they sound great. And I've got so many of the bloody things.

So l send them a video on Friday. They got back to me yesterday saying that they had no stock, so l would have to send the whole box set back and get a refund.

So l said: It's only one record and l would like to keep the other ones, as l would rather have some than none at all. The do sound really nice.  Anyway, they got back to me tonight saying that they would refund me 20% back. So good out come l think. Only down side is that they only seem to answer one email a night. So it's getting quite protracted. But they made no mention of me sending the faulty album back. Not sure if l will keep it or flog it off. Fortunately, it is the last song and only about 30 seconds from finishing. But l think l am too OCD to live with it. But others may not be so fussy.

Ken.

What is the turntable, arm and cart you have, Ken?

My comment on what you can use CDees for was made with tongue planted firmly in the cheek, but true nonetheless I hasten to add.?

With your damaged  record saga, I can tell you I’m definitely in the OCD spectrum, if there is such a thing, and I don’t think that fault being within the last 30 seconds of one disc only out of the whole box set, would cause me any discomfort at all. 
Take the 20% refund, keep the faulty disc and you might even go to the extent of marking the label or the jacket/ sleeve to remind you that the fault is there.?

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

Hi All,

38 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I am disappointed some artists do not have vinyl versions of their albums too.................still that may change in the future we hope.

CDs certainly do have their place for convenience and sometimes are better than some of the vinyl issues  - but Vinyl sounds better to me overall to be honest - but both happily live in my collection.

The setup for vinyl is expensive, especially if you can distribute the music digitally, with digital continuing to grow and physical media declining an interesting read here:

https://www.pwc.com.au/industry/entertainment-and-media-trends-analysis/outlook/music.html

Currently listening to Alaskan Tapes, You Were Always An Island.

AlaskanTapes.jpg.2d231aa1676afb2b26daaf660877b9f0.jpg

JJ

• Like 4

17 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder. 45rpm 2LP on Blue Note Stereo. Wow, could these blokes play.......bloody great album.:thumb:

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.JPG

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder [back cover].JPG

Wow, that must sound fantastic 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hlov said:

Wow, that must sound fantastic 

Hello, H, yes it does sound fantastic and Lee Morgan is outstanding on the album, but pretty much his equal is Joe Henderson on the tenor sax and the other three lads, well, they're just bloody showoffs!:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Take the 20% refund, keep the faulty disc and you might even go to the extent of marking the label or the jacket/ sleeve to remind you that the fault is there.?

Cheers,

Keith

That is what I have done with a couple of records I brought pre-loved that had a small skip on them - put a note inside between the LP Jacket and the outer  Blake Sleeve I use to remind me of it. 

I would keep a record with that small fault right at the end too and be happy with the discount ?

I am also OCD ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

The setup for vinyl is expensive, especially if you can distribute the music digitally, with digital continuing to grow and physical media declining an interesting read here:

https://www.pwc.com.au/industry/entertainment-and-media-trends-analysis/outlook/music.html

Maybe it is convenient and growing but that does not make it any better? I have been there and done that, ripped everything to Digital - then after ten years pulled out the CDs again and realised they sounded better & now come back to the Vinyl. 

And streaming is only ever as good as your internet connection too - which mine is crap - still on ADSL2 - 

forget trying to listen to Spotify or anything, unless you like buffering and dropouts.

I have Vinyl, CDs, Flac Files and even MP3s where they were the only option for rare bootleg material - but Vinyl tops the list for me - it offers a better listening experience that is warmer and more tactile - but I will admit some CDs have sounded better than vinyl if the pressing has not been so great. I love all mediums really, but Vinyl is my favourite, but all live happily in my collection ?

Audio seems to be like fashion and changes anyway, vinyl was written off as a "never to return once" and now Cassette Tapes are getting a resurgence (cannot understand that one, fixed too may of those with sticky tape when I was a kid and they broke) & I think CDs will become sought after again.

Some of my CD Singles from Madonna are worth more than any vinyl in my collection - they are very sought after.

I think Digital is the "flavour" right now - but the pendulum will swing back around - when people realise they are "renting" music from iTunes and Tidal and do not actually own anything.

I stopped buying albums from iTunes as I realised I was paying pretty much the same price (sometimes more) than if I walked into JB and brought the CD which I could own and rip into iTunes anyway if I wanted to.

I guess it depends what "floats your boat" but where physical might be "down" compared to Digital right now, does not mean it is not important and will not be in the future. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3

You’d think working from home I’d have lots of opportunity to spin some records but with everyone home doing work, uni etc it’s been quite difficult. This morning my wife has gone back to work, my son has gone to the uni library and my daughter is at work - that leaves me alone working from home! Time for a record and also time to show off the new stands I made for my old Advents.

Hoping you are all keeping well.

247DEA14-D501-41C7-B2A1-D7F7FAC7024B.jpeg

AB143F50-CB37-47BB-BEA0-E80193B39F3E.jpeg

Edited by Rustee
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Rustee said:

You’d think working from home I’d have lots of opportunity to spin some records but with everyone home doing work, uni etc it’s been quite difficult. This morning my wife has gone back to work, my son has gone to the uni library and my daughter is at work - that leaves my alone working from home! Time for a record and also time to show off the new stands I made for my old Advents.

Hoping you are all keeping well.

Lovely stands, I think you should change the locks whilst they are gone !!!!

Hahahhahahahaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

Continuing with Procol Harum, shine On Brightly

1987005934_ProcolHarumShine.jpg.fa540145a5378a8a723de0a286ee12f7.jpg

And @April Snow there will always be a place for physical media, as you say unless you have a good internet connection, most streaming services are glitchy, ripped CDs are only as good as the ripping device and errors that can be made there, and most streamed music is loaned / hired and taken up by majority by those born from about 1990 and 'enjoy' MP3 quality through $20 earbuds (my observations from seeing this demographic in Melbourne the past 8 -10 years, and from what cafes pipe through their establishments when you ask)

JJ

• Like 5

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

Maybe it is convenient and growing but that does not make it any better? I have been there and done that, ripped everything to Digital - then after ten years pulled out the CDs again and realised they sounded better & now come back to the Vinyl. 

And streaming is only ever as good as your internet connection too - which mine is crap - still on ADSL2 - 

forget trying to listen to Spotify or anything, unless you like buffering and dropouts.

I have Vinyl, CDs, Flac Files and even MP3s where they were the only option for rare bootleg material - but Vinyl tops the list for me - it offers a better listening experience that is warmer and more tactile - but I will admit some CDs have sounded better than vinyl if the pressing has not been so great. I love all mediums really, but Vinyl is my favourite, but all live happily in my collection ?

Audio seems to be like fashion and changes anyway, vinyl was written off as a "never to return once" and now Cassette Tapes are getting a resurgence (cannot understand that one, fixed too may of those with sticky tape when I was a kid and they broke) & I think CDs will become sought after again.

Some of my CD Singles from Madonna are worth more than any vinyl in my collection - they are very sought after.

I think Digital is the "flavour" right now - but the pendulum will swing back around - when people realise they are "renting" music from iTunes and Tidal and do not actually own anything.

I stopped buying albums from iTunes as I realised I was paying pretty much the same price (sometimes more) than if I walked into JB and brought the CD which I could own and rip into iTunes anyway if I wanted to.

I guess it depends what "floats your boat" but where physical might be "down" compared to Digital right now, does not mean it is not important and will not be in the future. 

i find that the copy you get through itunes is not always  the same as the physical copy ie cd or vinyl they don’t always have the same tracks as Digital downloads 

To Top