Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Guest Old Man Rubber

A little reward for doing some actual work this morning:

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Easy Pieces

To a suburban, pretentious teenager good old Lloyd Cole sounded so worldly wise, as if he was spitting truth about adult relationships and work and cigarettes and too much wine.  In retrospect he wasn't much more than a pretentious young adult himself but it's still good.  "Rattlesnakes" might be marginally better but this is worth a spin.

His first solo album from 1990 (which I only have on CD) is an absolute ripper though - he did grow up eventually but the haircut on the front is worth googling up, it's just awful.  Now I think he's just a grumpy old golf playing dude who dabbles in electronica and making fun of university students when it suits him.

20210304_104515.jpg

Guest Old Man Rubber

Jackson Brown - The Pretender

The only Mofi pressing I have - lovely sounding record I can see why people treasure them so much.  Shame the sleeve is a bit beaten up, the record itself looks unplayed.

20210304_115139.jpg

PJ Harvey ‎– To Bring You My Love - 1995 original Euro pressing.  joining in :)  this album absolutely kicks butt with PJ's angst and aggression - good to hear the reissue sounds good as the original is insanely superb pressed on 100gm vinyl.

uTAaHAl.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Old Man Rubber

Kris Kristofferson - Me and Bobby McGee

Jackson Browne - Hold Out

Wikipedia says "Hold Out" is Jackson Browne's biggest selling album.  It's hard to see why, it just kind of drifts past without leaving much of an impression.  There is no great "My name is Jackson Browne and I am here to kick you in the guts" songs like "Late for the sky" or "The Pretender", the title track is paint by numbers Browne and the rest of it kind of sounds like he is doing Jackson Browne like things but has forgotten why.

The Kristofferson record - I think it's easy to forget just what a fine songwriter he is when overshadowed by a pretty awful acting career.  The cover is as worn out as his voice sounds on this record but it's fantastic.  Too many great songs to mention on here but "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" and "Me and Bobby McGee" on vinyl are essential.  If you've only heard the Janis Joplin version, this one is world weary and so evocative you can just about smell the diesel and the dirty red bandanna.  It's such a damn simple song pretty much anybody can learn it on the guitar and I recommend you do!

20210305_094254.jpg

20210305_090540.jpg

1 hour ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Kris Kristofferson - Me and Bobby McGee

Jackson Browne - Hold Out

Wikipedia says "Hold Out" is Jackson Browne's biggest selling album.  It's hard to see why, it just kind of drifts past without leaving much of an impression.  There is no great "My name is Jackson Browne and I am here to kick you in the guts" songs like "Late for the sky" or "The Pretender", the title track is paint by numbers Browne and the rest of it kind of sounds like he is doing Jackson Browne like things but has forgotten why.

The Kristofferson record - I think it's easy to forget just what a fine songwriter he is when overshadowed by a pretty awful acting career.  The cover is as worn out as his voice sounds on this record but it's fantastic.  Too many great songs to mention on here but "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" and "Me and Bobby McGee" on vinyl are essential.  If you've only heard the Janis Joplin version, this one is world weary and so evocative you can just about smell the diesel and the dirty red bandanna.  It's such a damn simple song pretty much anybody can learn it on the guitar and I recommend you do!

20210305_094254.jpg

20210305_090540.jpg

Ironically, it's probably one of Jackson's least admired albums but I found "Lives In The Balance" to be one of his best apart from the song "Candy" which I can take or leave.

The 2nd last track, "Till I Go Down" is one of his best ever IMHO.

• Like 2

Guest Old Man Rubber
44 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Ironically, it's probably one of Jackson's least admired albums but I found "Lives In The Balance" to be one of his best apart from the song "Candy" which I can take or leave.

The 2nd last track, "Till I Go Down" is one of his best ever IMHO.

I do have that on CD somewhere will go dig it up for another listen

To Top