Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Hi All,

28 minutes ago, Full Range said:

The album from Discrepancy records has just landed not more than 40 minutes ago  ( but will play it when time allows ) 

So I decided to share with the SN members.

The first time I purchased this album was around 1971 and I lent it out several years later but never came back home 

Then I replaced it with a 1978 re issue album that I still have in the collection 

This release is the 50th anniversary album - Steve Wilson mix, that has great reviews so I have decided to add it to the collection from 2019 

Artist - King Crimson 

Title - In The Court Of The Crimson King 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King-An-Observation-By-King-Crimson/release/14338110

F3-B13-C52-7-ADB-48-C9-B147-5-B0217-E848

B565259-F-73-B7-4-C29-BC8-A-0-A724-FDD69

A really GREAT album, probably in my top 3 favourite albums, I first heard and purchased in early 1970 whilst in Melbourne shopping, I was passing by a newly opened Record Store opposite Myer, it was painted flat black inside, all of the record bins were flat black and the lighting was alternate ultraviolet and regular fluorescent strip lights, so it was not exactly bright inside, they eventually took out a lot of the ultra violet lights because a lot of stock was being taken and staff couldn't see what was going on in the store.

Seeing @Full Range's post I grabbed my copies, an original sale in 1970 https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King-An-Observation-By-King-Crimson/release/2511718

and the same 2019 remix by Steven Wilson https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King-An-Observation-By-King-Crimson/release/14338110

The first thing I noticed was how dull the rerelease 's cover was in comparison, it seems more washed out in comparison to the 1970 version. currently playing the 1970 version.

1478920382_KingCrimsonITCOTCK.jpg.50a189be5393a713bb93820da3fe735a.jpg

Cover Colour Comparison

866086819_KingCrimsonITCOTCKCovers.jpg.0da5a06eb0e7a4dc4224a18413e57ee7.jpg

JJ

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

The first thing I noticed was how dull the rerelease 's cover was in comparison, it seems more washed out in comparison to the 1970 version. currently playing the 1970 version.

Cover Colour Comparison

JJ

I have noticed that about so many of the re-releases - even the Prince one I posted over the weekend for Hits 1 - the original cover was a Sepia tone and the new release Black and White - I prefer the original tones. Another thing I have noticed that is really SLOPPY is how they will take the artwork from CDs and then just copy that for LP Jackets and they can be "fuzzy" and pixelated. That is just laziness. I prefer the original tones in the cover of this one too ?

• Like 4

Hi @April Snow

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

I have noticed that about so many of the re-releases - even the Prince one I posted over the weekend for Hits 1 - the original cover was a Sepia tone and the new release Black and White - I prefer the original tones. Another thing I have noticed that is really SLOPPY is how they will take the artwork from CDs and then just copy that for LP Jackets and they can be "fuzzy" and pixelated. That is just laziness. I prefer the original tones in the cover of this one too ?

Too true, enlarging a 5" x 5" picture to 12" x 12" is sloppy and lazy.

JJ

• Like 4

Hi All,

Currently playing one of yesterday's arrivals, The Pretty Things, The Final Bow, recorded live in their final series of concerts in 2018 after 55 years of performing, with special guest appearances from good friends David Gilmour and Van Morrison.

885413217_ThePrettyThingsTheFinalBow.jpg.360a242494592f36ed48bd79cd8907f1.jpg

JJ

• Like 3

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @April Snow

Too true, enlarging a 5" x 5" picture to 12" x 12" is sloppy and lazy.

JJ

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

I completely agree with the cover art observations 

• Like 2

Although I never really got stuck into the Dead much, that has got to be one of THE best record covers of all time.

N.P.

Also one of my favourites from the 70s and with a cover that has plenty of shock value. I had a lot of fun scaring my young sister with this cover.

uh.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

On 18/01/2021 at 2:16 PM, stevoz said:

I have an apparent bootleg double LP of this concert on grey vinyl......the 'Stop Making Sense Tour' on Broadcast Radio Records from 2015 with 14 songs. It sounds fantastic and it's not even an official release!

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Tour (2015, Grey, Vinyl) | Discogs

R-6871313-1513625338-2346.jpeg.jpg

Edit: Some quick Discogs research renders this post irrelevant to your question as it is a different concert (Milwaukie 1984) to the official release (New York 1983) but from the same tour. Still sounds great though.

Wow! What a piece! Ill be keeping my antennae out for that one :-))) Cheers steveoz! Discogs has it as an album that they cant allow to be commented on or sold by them! Hehehehe!! Awesome!

Edited by ScottyPeace

3 hours ago, ScottyPeace said:

Wow! What a piece! Ill be keeping my antennae out for that one :-))) Cheers steveoz! Discogs has it as an album that they cant allow to be commented on or sold by them! Hehehehe!! Awesome!

TALKING HEADS - Stop Making Sense Tour | Amazon.com.au | Music

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Tour (2016, 180, Vinyl) | Discogs

I have this, you can have my copy of this Scott.

Edited by scuzzii
  • Like 1

To Top