Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Foo Fighters - ST

This is effortless for most of the first 30 mins, before bogging down slightly towards the latter 1/4, but what an impressive start for a guy who had no rights to a burgeoning second band career, almost as big as the first one.

It's easy now to knock the Fooies, as bloated and 'large-corporate' as they inevitably became (Coldplay anyone?), it seemingly becoming harder to find the 'it'  factor again for them with each successive album.

However this debut was really solid - visit it again to hear what the true guts of the young band really had going for it.  

IMG_2863.thumb.jpg.14911f48f06ed292e773a7494b909b66.jpg

• Like 8

some new purchases the wife has done. First for us for both of them. My 9 year old daughter has wanted some Elton for awhile because she just loves “I’m still standing” not sure where she has heard it because i don’t play Elton previous to now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Tab74 said:

My 9 year old daughter has wanted some Elton for awhile because she just loves “I’m still standing” not sure where she has heard it because i don’t play Elton previous to now.

She likely knows it from the Sing movie.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tab74 said:

some new purchases the wife has done. First for us for both of them. My 9 year old daughter has wanted some Elton for awhile because she just loves “I’m still standing” not sure where she has heard it because i don’t play Elton previous to now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

What's next, Dancing on the Ceiling ?  ?

Hey Ive got a Prince record to!

Actually its my wifes, bought it for her for Christmas 1991, I think, and she thinks Im not romantic. 

Sounds great for an old record, a Alsdorf first press......hmm wonder if can swap for a mud honey lp.

20201224_115746.thumb.jpg.8d634971e68a1b1d7db8e58e96ed35ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Sign of the Times comparison:

Original Euro German pressing - 1987

2020 remaster - from the box set

2020 remaster - special Peach vinyl version.

I was peer pressured by @April Snow when the Peach vinyl to buy this - I resisted until she said it a classy embossing that the box set did not have. ? I nicked down to JB and saw the beautiful embossing - so I had to buy it from amazon - JB price is crazy..   It has sat there for 6 weeks, unopened.

Thought it would be fun to compare the the 3 versions - nothing scientific - just playing 1st track in its entirely and the start of Play In the Sunshine.

put the Peach vinyl on first, then played 2020 Black vinyl, then original 1987 Euro pressing, then back to Peach vinyl to compare

2020 Peach vinyl - sounds good - slightly more bottom end weight than the 2020 black vinyl but lacks a bit of treble extension.  Play in the Sunshine is a brash aggressive track - the new remaster peach vinyl has taken too much of that attack and top end aggression away - a deliberate decision from Burnie no doubt to tame some of the top end aggression on some tracks..

2020 Black vinyl - immediately slightly tighter bass and faster in the upper frequencies. The drum echo is clearer on the black vinyl on Sign of the Time.  rest of the sound is pretty similar to the peach.

1987 original Euro German pressing - EVERYTHING is tighter and faster. the musical notes have edge and aggression.   has better left to right soundstage and detail and Prince's voice is more centred compared to the other two pressings.  Maybe I am used to the original pressing after playing it for 33 years, but to me it is easily better sounding than the 2020 remaster.

overall ratings

1.   original 1987 Euro German - this to me is the essence of a 29 year old at the top of his game - this sounds tight, aggressive and plain wonderful

2. 2020 Black vinyl - You can hear from the 2020 remaster that everything has been slightly smoothed over when directly comparing to original pressing. Sounds more balanced to me vs the peach vinyl. has better treble extension and space.  This sounds damn good and very enjoyable.

3. 2020 Peach vinyl - last place I am afraid sonically.  First place with the stunning embossing - hard to tell from my photos how beautiful the embossing is..

Like many coloured vinyl pressings compared to the black, this sounds just a little more subdued in the top end and thicker in the bass region.  It still sounds very good and if you system edges to being lean or thin - buy this.

qvbl80z.jpg

CCyoPIb.jpg

camera phone changes the colour from peach to ??

Wbvjrhb.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

Good write up @metal beat  

Really interesting to hear peeps takes on different pressings of the various albums they have.  Maybe deserved of a dedicated thread ?

thanks.  I also posted in Prince Vault thread so it does not get lost in the 100+ postings on this thread.

The different sound of different pressings is why the crazy hobby can get expensive - chasing that elusive rainbow  ?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Sign of the Times comparison:

Original Euro German pressing - 1987

2020 remaster - from the box set

2020 remaster - special Peach vinyl version.

I was peer pressured by @April Snow when the Peach vinyl to buy this - I resisted until she said it a classy embossing that the box set did not have. ? I nicked down to JB and saw the beautiful embossing - so I had to buy it from amazon - JB price is crazy..   It has sat there for 6 weeks, unopened.

Thought it would be fun to compare the the 3 versions - nothing scientific - just playing 1st track in its entirely and the start of Play In the Sunshine.

put the Peach vinyl on first, then played 2020 Black vinyl, then original 1987 Euro pressing, then back to Peach vinyl to compare

2020 Peach vinyl - sounds good - slightly more bottom end weight than the 2020 black vinyl but lacks a bit of treble extension.  Play in the Sunshine is a brash aggressive track - the new remaster peach vinyl has taken too much of that attack and top end aggression away - a deliberate decision from Burnie no doubt to tame some of the top end aggression on some tracks..

2020 Black vinyl - immediately slightly tighter bass and faster in the upper frequencies. The drum echo is clearer on the black vinyl on Sign of the Time.  rest of the sound is pretty similar to the peach.

1987 original Euro German pressing - EVERYTHING is tighter and faster. the musical notes have edge and aggression.   has better left to right soundstage and detail and Prince's voice is more centred compared to the other two pressings.  Maybe I am used to the original pressing after playing it for 33 years, but to me it is easily better sounding than the 2020 remaster.

overall ratings

1.   original 1987 Euro German - this to me is the essence of a 29 year old at the top of his game - this sounds tight, aggressive and plain wonderful

2. 2020 Black vinyl - You can hear from the 2020 remaster that everything has been slightly smoothed over when directly comparing to original pressing. Sounds more balanced to me vs the peach vinyl. has better treble extension and space.  This sounds damn good and very enjoyable.

3. 2020 Peach vinyl - last place I am afraid sonically.  First place with the stunning embossing - hard to tell from my photos how beautiful the embossing is..

Like many coloured vinyl pressings compared to the black, this sounds just a little more subdued in the top end and thicker in the bass region.  It still sounds very good and if you system edges to being lean or thin - buy this.

camera phone changes the colour from peach to ??

I don't have the original 1987 Vinyl  (only have the original CD) - but I do have the 2016 pressing that the SH Forum recommended as the best copy up to that time.

I do think the Peach 2020  vinyl is slightly better sounding than the 2020 Black one - but both are of course mastered by Bernie Grundman - only difference I guess would be the colour of the vinyl itself and of course the Peach Jacket has the nicer embossed cover. I love the 2020 issues though, they are more alive and dynamic to me and I could pick out things I had not heard before and I was totally blown away. Sign of the Times was never in my top albums from Prince as there are others I love more, but once I heard the Peach copy (2020) I was blown away. I believe the detail is great and it is elevated to a new height. Bernie did a wonderful job of the remastering of this to showcase it as a true masterpiece.

The Peach is my favourite - out of the three copies I have, but really I guess it depends if you get a copy flawless copy or not?

These days that is a gamble...........

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I don't have the original 1987 Vinyl  (only have the original CD) - but I do have the 2016 pressing that the SH Forum recommended as the best copy up to that time.

I do think the Peach 2020  vinyl is slightly better sounding than the 2020 Black one - but both are of course mastered by Bernie Grundman - only difference I guess would be the colour of the vinyl itself and of course the Peach Jacket has the nicer embossed cover. I love the 2020 issues though, they are more alive and dynamic to me and I could pick out things I had not heard before and I was totally blown away. Sign of the Times was never in my top albums from Prince as there are others I love more, but once I heard the Peach copy (2020) I was blown away. I believe the detail is great and it is elevated to a new height. Bernie did a wonderful job of the remastering of this to showcase it as a true masterpiece.

The Peach is my favourite - out of the three copies I have, but really I guess it depends if you get a copy flawless copy or not?

These days that is a gamble...........

agree, even at Burnies senior years he knows Prince back to front.     I am tempted to keep the embossed cover and return the peach inside the box set cover ?  I won't do it thou.

I owned the 2016 Kevin Gray remaster - preferred the 1987 Euro pressing so returned it.

I have been getting myself into Prince mode the last week by playing a lot of his 90's albums.  Now I am set for a Prince Xmas  ?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, metal beat said:

agree, even at Burnies senior years he knows Prince back to front.     I am tempted to keep the embossed cover and return the peach inside the box set cover ?  I won't do it thou.

I owned the 2016 Kevin Gray remaster - preferred the 1987 Euro pressing so returned it.

I have been getting myself into Prince mode the last week by playing a lot of his 90's albums.  Now I am set for a Prince Xmas  ?

I got the 2016 (Kevin Gray Remaster) as it was recommended on the SHF as the best reissue, but after hearing the 2020 one (in either Peach or Black) I doubt I will play the 2016 again in a hurry as I like the 2020 so much more as there is just a lot more detail. I found Prince's vocals so dynamic and right out there - I just loved it so much - on first spin I cried coz it was so different to what I had heard before, I was totally moved. I realised then what a masterpiece it was ?

I am glad to have both the Peach and Black though, neither copy is shabby - just the Peach one easier to grab off the shelf to play - that big box set is a heavy sucker !!

I worry for the music world when we lose Kevin & Bernie though ...................they have the midas touch.

Glad you have been enjoying some Purple over the holidays. I am on holidays too, so intend to enjoy some more Purple too. I have the Sign o The Times in the big CD/Book set to listen to as well, but it does not sound as good as the vinyl I admit - but I had to have it.....................(OMG I am so weak !!!!!! ?)

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2
  • Love 1