Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Guest Old Man Rubber

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

Tried to get a picture of the level meters on the tape deck as well, this thing is *loud*.

also:  DOMO ORIGATO MR ROBOTO!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:  ah ha ha I completely forgot the ludicrous story line that accompanies this record.  An excerpt:

THE PRESENT is a future where japanese manufactured robots, designed to work cheaply and endlessly, are the caretakers of society.  "MR ROBOTOS" are everywhere, serving as manual labor in jobs that were once held by humans...crowds hurl rock'n'roll records and electric guitars into huge bonfires..."

Good luck hurling a spotify stream into a bonfire!  Now, if you were slightly unhinged you might argue that Styx producing this record have in fact prevented a dystopian future without Rock'n'Roll and we should thank them.  So thanks Styx!

20201126_142948.jpg

Edited by Old Man Rubber

15 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

Tried to get a picture of the level meters on the tape deck as well, this thing is *loud*.

also:  DOMO ORIGATO MR ROBOTO!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:  ah ha ha I completely forgot the ludicrous story line that accompanies this record.  An excerpt:

Good luck hurling a spotify stream into a bonfire!  Now, if you were slightly unhinged you might argue that Styx producing this record have in fact prevented a dystopian future without Rock'n'Roll and we should thank them.  So thanks Styx!

20201126_142948.jpg

Thanks for showing the amp, I have tried to workout what was the brand. Is the tape deck a Marantz as well?

• Like 2

Guest Old Man Rubber
9 minutes ago, hlov said:

Thanks for showing the amp, I have tried to workout what was the brand. Is the tape deck a Marantz as well?

Yep - Marantz SD4000.  Actually bought the cassette deck first (2nd hand dealer in Newcastle) then loved the look of it so much chased up an affordable but matching amp.

Got another similar vintage amp (Kenwood KR-4010) and while the Kenwood has a better FM tuner, the Marantz SR4000 has just a touch more punch and a really nice phono input to let that Technics 'table sing.  Slightly warmer tone too - although it has bass/mid/treble tone controls so a touch more flexible.  Great little period rig for vinyl.

53 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Yep - Marantz SD4000.  Actually bought the cassette deck first (2nd hand dealer in Newcastle) then loved the look of it so much chased up an affordable but matching amp.

Got another similar vintage amp (Kenwood KR-4010) and while the Kenwood has a better FM tuner, the Marantz SR4000 has just a touch more punch and a really nice phono input to let that Technics 'table sing.  Slightly warmer tone too - although it has bass/mid/treble tone controls so a touch more flexible.  Great little period rig for vinyl.

Vintage gear is awesome, I have a matching tuner for my Yamaha amp with power vu meters :)

• Like 3

The Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Adore - 2014 reissue.  Easily the best reissue of all the Pumpkins albums Corgan did between 2011 and 2014. I understand what Corgan was trying to do with the MONO vinyl release back in 1998 with his Spector-ish wall of grunge sound but the wall is a bit too muddy -  this version just works better imo especially with the slower songs, but luv both.

d8OOXfw.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, metal beat said:

The Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Adore - 2014 reissue.  Easily the best reissue of all the Pumpkins albums Corgan did between 2011 and 2014. I understand what Corgan was trying to do with the MONO vinyl release back in 1998 with his Spector-ish wall of grunge sound but the wall is a bit too muddy -  this version just works better imo especially with the slower songs, but luv both.

d8OOXfw.jpg

Agree Shane,  excellent sq on this one.

• Like 2

Just picked this one up today. Absolutely fantastic sound quality on this great folky album. I heard it on cd and just had to track it down on vinyl. Mastered to perfection.

Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest.

16063775405909201998670413104113.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Sceeta said:

Just picked this one up today. Absolutely fantastic sound quality on this great folky album. I heard it on cd and just had to track it down on vinyl. Mastered to perfection.

Fantastic album.

Played it for @hlov on Sunday and it cost me my backup copy  :)  (well, a swap) 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sceeta said:

Have had this on vinyl for 7 or 8 years now and one of my favourite albums. It was in high rotation in our room at the HiFi Show last year too.?

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Have had this on vinyl for 7 or 8 years now and one of my favourite albums. It was in high rotation in our room at the HiFi Show last year too.?

Cheers,

Keith

I had a fellow SNA'er come down to audition my ascension speakers and he brought the cd with him. Gotta say categorically that the vinyl blows the cd away. Definitely has quickly become one of my faves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sceeta said:

I had a fellow SNA'er come down to audition my ascension speakers and he brought the cd with him. Gotta say categorically that the vinyl blows the cd away. Definitely has quickly become one of my faves.

Yep, they’re all good tracks, but a few real standouts for me are Tennessee, The Way It Goes and Down Along The Dixie Line. 

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

To Top