Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Guest Old Man Rubber

Procrastinating this morning - and doing a bit of listening with some newly repaired tip shop speakers.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (2015 Sony release).   It's a kind of go-to speaker audition for me, probably not the best version of this but still mighty good.

20201125_095900.jpg

Hi All,

Harpist, Mary Lattimore, Silver Ladders. 

1020379948_MaryLattimoreSilverLadders.jpg.02a3648a7f5aefe8b9484e9fa6beb2d7.jpg

From: https://www.magneticmag.com/2020/10/album-review-mary-lattimore-silver-ladders/

Recorded over nine days in Neil Halstead’s Cornwall studio in the UK, the LP is sprawling, beautiful and lush. Her harp plays elegantly next to washed out guitars like on soaring “Sometimes He’s Inn My Dreams” that feels like the best dream you have ever had. The lengthy 11-minute “Til A Mermaid Drags You Under” is a song to get lost in so you can just curl up in a ball and forget the world exists.

This is the sort of album that slows the world down to a gentle walking pace. You won’t get bumped into by a rude New Yorker (sorry if that is me) or have some anti-masker cough on you. There is only lush green grass, a cool breeze on your face, warm water and an orange sunset on the horizon.

Earlier this year, she released a collaborative album with Mac McCaughan AVL, but this feels more polished. Silver Ladders is the follow up to her 2018 LP Hundreds Of Days.

JJ

• Like 3

Hi All,

Bowie, Changes Two

1478533297_BowieChangesTwo.jpg.552e16c97b584d8b4626c7146c37091f.jpg

Tracklist:
Aladdin Sane (1913-1938-197?) / On Broadway    5:03
Oh! You Pretty Things    3:10
Starman    4:10
1984    3:24
Ashes To Ashes    3:35
Sound And Vision    3:00
Fashion    3:23
Wild Is The Wind    5:58
John I'm Only Dancing (Again) (1975)    6:39
Dj    3:20

JJ

• Like 5

Guest Old Man Rubber
1 minute ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Bowie, Changes Two

I always figured the Changes compilations being a bit, I dunno, redundant when they were released.  Most of his other work when this came out was in bargain bins so you could pretty much pick up the discography for peanuts.

However, being young and stupid at the time I bought them on cassette ?  I'll bet you can guess what happened to those.

Hi All,

29 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

I always figured the Changes compilations being a bit, I dunno, redundant when they were released.  Most of his other work when this came out was in bargain bins so you could pretty much pick up the discography for peanuts.

However, being young and stupid at the time I bought them on cassette ?  I'll bet you can guess what happened to those.

Making a bit of a comeback, many things on Bandcamp are released as cassettes, so if you still have a player, no problem.

Currently spinning Thom Yorke, Anima

2140193065_ThomYorkeAnima.jpg.19dba589529f3df91dce0a55a937190b.jpg

JJ

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dilettanteque said:

Has Heaven's Door and Pol Roger Winston Churchill ever been in such close company ? :) 

Very good pick up........ maybe not, but I do love both.

Not sure where I am going to find another bottle of Heavens Door when this gets emptied, trying to save some for the nostalgia... being such a big Bob fan.:thumb:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, metal beat said:

The Go-Betweens ‎– Bright Yellow Bright Orange  - 2003 release - one of those amazing albums that literally gets better every time you spin it.  luv it.  sounding better than ever today.  rip  Grant.

0JrVB9U.jpg

Robert Forster produced a couple of Halfway records and the 2 songwriters in the band won a songwriter competition set up by Grant and Robert which allowed them to spend a year in London 

From memory (Hope I’ve got that right)

• Like 3

Spun earlier.......new arrival, came today (two weeks from Russia! I'm impressed).

AC/DC "Ballbreaker" 2009 George Marino remaster, German pressing. More surface noise than the very quiet 'Power Up' but still very good SQ.

This is a cracker of an album IMO. Talk about the masters of the simple.....the main riff on the title track is virtually two notes.....but it is one of the ballsiest rock riffs I've ever heard. Salute!B)

R-10938218-1507986894-8940.jpeg.jpg

• Like 4

The Go-Betweens ‎– 16 Lovers Lane - the perfect dreamy indie pop album?

original UK Beggars 1988 release -maybe 60gms vinyl - can almost been used as a Rolf wobble board ?  been played literally several hundred times or more - still sounds perfect and this pressing is the best you will hear this album - that is the longevity of vinyl if looked after. 

tVmyomZ.jpg

• Like 6

To Top