Sign in to follow this  
arjay

Recommend me 2.0 Active Monitors

Hi, I'm currently looking for some Active Monitors for a 1k Budget.

They will be powered with at least a modi 2 dac and be sitting on a desktop table with stands.

I will be mainly using them for music(hip hop, pop, acoustic) and movies.

I want some thing that is clear in the mids and highs and has decent bass for what they can do.

I been looking at certain brands.

Akitmate Mini

JBL LSR

Emotiva 5s/6s

Tannoy Reveals

M-Audio

Krk Rokits
Yamaha HS

If anyone has experience with these or any other brands you recommend, please help me out. 

Edited by arjay

Focal make great actives as do Dynaudio. I think you might find them around that budget. There is Adam and Genelec too

I had the Yamaha HS8s as desktop speakers. Pretty clear without being overly bright, great dynamics and good imaging.

Despite being 8" and in a small room, I have run them with a sub which to me was essential to really enjoy them.

One thing to consider when running any studio monitors is volume control. Magni will not provide that, so you'll have control the volume through the source, and that's not always convenient. Ideally you should get a DAC with some preamp functionality and XLR outputs (if your chosen speakers require that).

Guest Misterioso

In my opinion: either go really cheap (JBL LSR305) or try to save more and enter the next class of active speakers (Neumann KH120, around $1800 new). Pete's comments regarding volume control are important. I once combined the KH120 with a NAD M51 DAC, very nice.

Kef x300a would be one to look at the top of your budget. Has a built in DAC though. There is an analogue input but not sure if that goes through the internal DAC.

I have had some Emotiva Airmotiv 4 for a couple of years now. The ribbon tweeter is very pleasant for near field listening. Have tried other passives but keep going back to these for desktop use.

I recently went though this process.  I was sure I would buy some Genelec or Adam monitors.

At first the accuracy of these speakers is great, in a clinical way.  But I found them very tiring after 30 minutes.  They are not easy listening or musical - because that is not their purpose.  I didn't rate the Krk Rokits.  You may find it different.

I am not sure where you are located - but I went to a Melbourne DJ shop with a massively treated room.  I am so glad I spent some time auditioning.

FWIW i bought some active KEFs. 

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, alan3016 said:

At first the accuracy of these speakers is great, in a clinical way.  But I found them very tiring after 30 minutes.  

Here we go again.... This argument eventually comes up in every thread about active monitors and always seem to kill any further discussion. 

Even if you perceive music played via monitors as clinical in a perfectly treated room (I find this idea hard to comprehend), you most likely will not find such perfect conditions in your own listening environment. At home, the advertised linear frequency response simply will not be realised. Studio monitors are not different from any other active speakers (Dynaudio, Kef etc.). Therefore I do believe that the frequently cited association between monitors and "clinical" is nothing else than a psychological bias.

I am listening to jazz every day for several hours through active studio monitors. The last thing I am interested in is a clinical sound. I very much doubt that this is what I get from my system. Even the small KH120 do everything better than my previous Dynaudio Contour standmounts.

End of rant. To each his own.

My pmc'c are studio monitors (not active though) and are hardly bright. I'm going to have a listen to some actives now :unsure: