tonythompson

Melbourne Memories

My god that photo brings back some memories, thanks for posting it!

14 hours ago, Chipofftheold said:

I took a photo in 1983 of the Douglas HiFi reels in Bourke St Melbourne.

Douglas HiFi  1983.jpg

Not to mention the cars that were sitting up and down the street, half of them would be worth a bit now!!

On 29/06/2018 at 1:39 PM, Number 9 said:

Ah yes, who could forget Daniel Jannicher unt Jeremy Freiberger. "Leezon to theez, Marnn, kosmiche muzik, blow your head off!".... Daniel is still alive and well (sorta)... He recently won a British award for an album he produced in the 70s called "Monster Planet" featuring Jim Keyes and Gil Matthews From the Masters Apprentices. the award was for "Worst Cover Design Of All Time".I have a copy in mint condition if anybody is interested. 

Yes, a truly hideous cover.

R-2241642-1338109888-2211.jpeg.jpg

I frequented Pipe to buy bootlegs.  When they had a new shipment I would select a few of them, and ask them to hold them behind the counter for 15mins while I went to the bank to get money to pay for them.  They always insisted on writing my name and contact details on the bag, despite me saying that I would be back in 15mins after going to the bank.  When i returned in 15mins they would always sigh, and tear off the paper bag with my details and put the records in a new bag. 

3 hours ago, mondie said:

My god that photo brings back some memories, thanks for posting it!

Same here!

Bought my very first hi-fi system there...

Wow...memories!

On 29/06/2018 at 10:43 AM, Willco said:

Professor Longhair  mid 70's--I think that was the name-- used to hang out digging for Gold😋

Willco

Professor Longhair, even had the T shirt, a boppin' dog with headphones!  Longhair's morphed into Readings Carlton

regards Ian

On 29/06/2018 at 1:39 PM, Number 9 said:

Ah yes, who could forget Daniel Jannicher unt Jeremy Freiberger. "Leezon to theez, Marnn, kosmiche muzik, blow your head off!" I did lightshows for some of Daniels Tours, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Focus. Daniel is still alive and well (sorta). Nowadays he is promoting German death metal bands. He recently won a British award for an album he produced in the 70s called "Monster Planet" featuring Jim Keyes and Gil Matthews From the Masters Apprentices. the award was for "Worst Cover Design Of All Time".I have a copy in mint condition if anybody is interested.

yes indeed that's them! Monster Planet re released

https://www.aztecrecords.com.au/products/dual001lp

Cybotron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybotron_(Australian_band)

I think Round and Round Records 556 Sydney Rd Brunswick has them, great shop to visit! The krautrock section is pure nostalgia for me!

https://roundandroundrecords.com/

https://www.facebook.com/roundandroundrecords/

regards Ian

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Professor Longhair, even had the T shirt, a boppin' dog with headphones!  Longhair's morphed into Readings Carlton

regards Ian

Thanks to them I discovered Ben Vaughn, I bought The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn his 1986 album on vinyl and never looked back. Have most of his albums!

https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Vaughn-Combo-The-Many-Moods-Of-Ben-Vaughn/master/387762

http://www.benvaughn.com/bio/

I introduced Mark Ferrie (Rockwiz Orkestra) to Ben's records, Mark used to cover Ben's I Dig Your Wig!

21 hours ago, Chipofftheold said:

I took a photo in 1983 of the Douglas HiFi reels in Bourke St Melbourne.

Douglas HiFi  1983.jpg

Hi,

Wouldn't mind that XR Falcon now, probably worth a few bob :thumb:

JJ

Posted (edited)

I got my second CD player (first one was nicked by a drug addict) from Douglas - a Denon DCD 620.  I also fondly recall going to Brashes, although they were probably the Equiv of JB Hi Fi back in the day :)

Edited by Tim O'Connor

Brashes were huge back in the 70's and 80's. A favourite haunt of mine for all the latest releases and maybe some audio accessories.....but alas, not much else.:P

Brash’s had a decent upstairs area where they had some pretty good gear. I remember seeing the AR range including the AR9’s and the big Sony SSG range. Had a wall of Warfedale as well.

23 minutes ago, gat474 said:

Brash’s had a decent upstairs area where they had some pretty good gear. I remember seeing the AR range including the AR9’s and the big Sony SSG range. Had a wall of Warfedale as well.

Yes, Brashes in Melbourne was a lot better than Brashes in Bendigo!👍:lol:

Dredging up some of the old stuff...

My first piece of HiFi was a Phillips Cassette recorder/player with Dolby! It was in a polished walnut case and was a top loader. Mechanically beautiful. Built beautifully. Did everything I wanted. I had a neighbour who had a huge (about 150) collection of records. I used to take my recorder in and taped a lot of them while babysitting. I bought that at Douglas HiFi in 1974 just before Christmas with money saved up from my large group of babysitting clients for $120 - equivalent to a month's wages back then. I connected it to my parents' all in one with dreadful speakers and turntable.

The tuntable below was bought with my first scolarship cheque while studying at Melbourne University. Cost was $320 with the SME tonearm and a Stanton EEE cartridge (it could withstand abuse by students influenced by various substances). It has cost me less than $10 per year since February 1976, including the cost of new styluses and two cartridges. Grace F9L and the current one, also a Grace cartridge. I had a secondhand Sugden 20W per channel amplifier that I bought second hand from Douglas for not much. It was good but did not last very long and could be economically repaired".

Roger someone and Vasey Stocks were the sales people at the time. I remember well the discussions about acoustic waves. Ï think I probably annoyed them with all my questions and trying to find the perfect components on a student's budget.

Around the corner in Swanston St was Space Age Records. I found Cybotron and the other beginnings of electronic music there; I bought Moving Waves and then every other Focus album available from them. Jethro Tull was the next big discovery. Pet Sounds in Malvern was another place I spent time and money at; I bought Spectrum's Milesego there ... and the obligatory Chain, Supertramp, Sebastian Hardie and Skyhooks albums. Monash Records also visited Melbourne Uni on Fridays and I bought quite a few of the cutout imports cheap ... $5.45 and similar prices. King Crimson, Genesis, PFM, ELP and Pink Floyd came to me through those Friday stalls.

I remember these days as clearly as yesterday. I remember the excitement and expectation of a new release. I remember the long conversations with staff who had the time to talk about shared interests and passions. I remember the enjoyment with friends when listening to something new and spectacular. Spectrum and King Crimson were that for me. Later mixed with Carole King and Janis Ian, for different reasons. Equipment was, and still is, the means for hearing the music.

Over the next two years, I bought the materials to build my first decent speakers from George Hawthorn HiFi as well as a Kenwood Integrated Amplifier. All of that lasted me for around 10 years. They were some of the best years of my life and I am grateful to those who helped me enjoy them so much. The musicians. The record stores and the HiFi stores.

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.4ae92a25c08b7e9a7d1a677f6b2fe382.JPG

Here it is in my current room/system.

Room.thumb.jpg.86c3920a6d37c08cf38224af43055d76.jpg

@Peta

Fantastic post and I can echo the same feelings and emotions you experienced.

I lived and breathed music and discovering the new and it took up most of my early life. I also have no doubt that I will not feel the same ever again but I am also very thankful for the experience.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Peta said:

Roger someone and Vasey Stocks were the sales people at the time. I remember well the discussions about acoustic waves. Ï think I probably annoyed them with all my questions and trying to find the perfect components on a student's budget.

The Roger someone that you refer to would be Roger Price. Roger was an interesting character in that somehow he managed to be one of Ben's top salesman year in year out, while simultaneously being as deaf as a post. Roger was an absolutely brutal closer. His personal motto was "Qualify, Confuse and Crunch!". I remember one day, Roger had shown a guy a system followed by one of his typical closes, but the guy resisted saying "I really need to talk this over with my wife". With that, Roger led the customer to a nearby desk, picked up two telephones, handed one to the customer and said "okay you ring your wife and ask if she'll let you buy it and I'll ring my wife and ask if she'll let me sell it to you". Brutal.

Vasey was the guy who gave me my first job in the hi-fi industry. I walked into Sound city one afternoon shopping around for a PA system, got talking to Vasey, bought a PA system and was invited to start work the following Monday. A truly life changing encounter. Hilarity ensued for the next 30 years.

Edited by Number 9

Archie n Jugheads, they even have a FB page!

https://www.facebook.com/ArchieJugheadsRecords/

< I have started this page for people to remember the golden days of Arch'n'Jugs and all the good times we had there. Memories, reminisces and photos warmly requested. No nasty memories of DNP or KG please - well only the nicer ones! Like Cheech & Chong said "Keep it clean Kids". I will be putting up a photo gallery to help you remember all the good times in Manchester Lane and Collins Street. Go for it! >

Yep, remember owners Keith Glass (went on to run Missing Link Records, now resides in the US) and David Pepperell aka Dr Pepper (ran a jazz record shop for a while named Dr Pepper's in Campbell Arcade, under Flinders St, as well as a short stint at Discurio) well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_Link_Records

You can find both of them sharing vinyl memories on FB. David released a book 100 Greatest Australian Singles of the 60's in recent years

https://www.readings.com.au/products/18778682/100-greatest-australian-singles-of-the-60s

You can see the complete 100 here

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/200777115?q&amp;versionId=220420918

< "The 100 Greatest Australian Singles 4 CD set is probably the best collection of Australian '60s music ever compiled" – Warren Barnett, legendary veteran Australian mastering engineer What were the 100 greatest singles made by Australian artists in the sixties? In the 1960s, Australian rock'n'roll singles were as good as those made anywhere in the world. Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs' "Poison Ivy" even knocked The Beatles off the top of the charts when the Fab Four were touring here in 1964! John Lennon was so amazed he asked to meet Thorpe in person. '100 Greatest Australian Singles Of The '60s' is a 4CD set released to coincide with a new book of the same name. The book, written by influential '70s Australian rock writers David 'Doctor Pepper' Pepperell and Colin Talbot, dedicates a chapter each to the authors' choice of the best local singles of the decade, and our cd replicates that list across 4 discs (and utilizes matching artwork). Both the book and the 4CD set present a diverse selection of tracks; one with an eye to what was popular as well as what was simply great. Unlike many other compilations that might focus on a particular genre of the era, '100 Greatest Australian Singles Of The '60s' ranges from the pristine pop-folk of The Seekers to the crunching psychedelic rock of The Wild Cherries and spans the whole decade. The compilers have tried to showcase the best, yet we expect there will always be some songs that the listener/reader will regard as glaring omissions. Well, that's the way the turntable spins! And that's the fun of these lists and collections too! So, take a trip back to these classic records of the sixties, to listen once again and remember those heady times when long hair and short skirts changed the world. >

regards Ian

A doco on Gasslight Records, still a great loss to the record-buying community:

Thanks for posting that.
A headful of music, a fistful of change!
Nicked their logo
IMG_2105.jpg

And a memorable Gaslight Records TV ad...

On 16/04/2018 at 6:01 PM, stevoz said:

I have just discovered this great thread. Lots of great personal memories here and reminders of the good ol' audio days of the '70's and 80's. My early 'Melbourne' memory starts with Encel's. My Dad had bought a nice system from them (Luxman amp, Connoisseur TT w/Supex, Interdyn speakers) and it got my audio bug going. At 18 yo and armed with about $1500, my mate and I headed down the Calder Highway from Bendigo en route to Richmond, our ute cloudy with the pungent odours of 'teen spirit'. Not sure what the sales people at Encel's thought when two long haired, red eyed teens walked in but they were very accommodating and helpful and we certainly did enjoy auditioning quite a few systems and the superb listening chairs!

At the end of the day, I walked away with a Rotel int. amp, a Rotel Cassette Deck, a Rotel TT and Interdyn speakers. After having the system for a few weeks, I was not happy with the amp (clipping issues....I was a teen and yes, it got pushed!), so I swapped it for a Luxman L3....aaaah, much better. The story behind that purchase may be for another day.......it involved a local Bendigo audio trader (who previously worked at Brashes....where he tried to sell me a 'Silver' brand boombox a couple of years earlier, trying to convince me it was top shelf.:lol:). Anyone else experienced Proud's Audio World? Anyway, I digress......

The Rotel cassette deck was soon swapped for a Luxman as well (from Encel's), the TT stayed with me in storage until three years ago, after a long digital period and has since been replaced. I still have the L3, the Interdyn speakers, the Rotel TT (broken) in storage. What I have in use now is listed below in my signature and was all purchased on Ebay, second hand, very cheaply compared with RRP but the purchases were clinical and certainly lacked the fun of the 'in store' experience.

I sometimes pine for those simpler days of the '70's when analogue ruled, you could 'hang' at the local audio and record stores, where the Age 'Green Guide' stereo section with it's regular large Encel's ad was eagerly awaited each week and where, frankly, you could get away with more!:cool::lol: Good times........and I'm getting old.:)

Wow, Old thread I know but I read your story and its almost identical to my own experience.

5 hours ago, couchy said:

Wow, Old thread I know but I read your story and its almost identical to my own experience.

Cheers Craig......sometimes I wish I had a time machine, they certainly were great times! 👍

My dad did some painting for Encels in the 80"s and he bought a luxman amp. He drove me up there in his ford f-100 and I put on layby a rotel amp,rotel tape deck,Scott turntable & interest speakers.Crazy hey.

Interdyn speakers.