tonythompson

Melbourne Memories

True evil shhhh

Like others I've re-read many inserts freely given herein to which I'd like to add a few of my own from the '60's mostly.

Radio Parts in Spencer Street and Carnegie also dabbled in the occasional stereo gear, Des Fitzgibbon and Ian? Musgrove were my go to guys then/there.

I brought with serious money the top shelf Richard Allen Super 12CGT speakers that not unusual for the time came with plans to build your own sealed speakers using that brand of 8" mid range contained in its own box within a box and a metal Kaltro tweeter and Richard Alllen sealed box crossover system. I built this up and used it as my travelling demo speakers system for a while in an effort to drive up sales but reckon carrying it around that much (50 Lbs each in an FC Holden) is why i've got a crook back now LOL.

From RPL also came one mistake, that was their Rapar (RPL) amplifier that broke down badly when "Cranked" at an output of about 25W or so It was was later swapped out for then modern Kenwood design....

Also came the very delux Dual turntable model 1019 ($110) with the mandatory Shure cartridges ME75 later swapped out for the V15 version. This is stilll with me and whist a bit sticky in its movement still goes. This player came with both a single spindle for manual changing as well as a stacker player where up to 6 or more disks could be vertically lined up. They also came with an Americal large Diam spindle, Cardboard Speed disk printed for 50Hz on one side and 60Hz on the other, (This model has speed control built in) Dual were made in Germany so they needed to cover many countries and a plastic cartridge alignment tool.

Lastly Saved up and brought a very up to date Crossfield Headed R to R Tandberg Deck that's also still with me. Tandberg's manual change decks were grand players and well sort after, so much so that Akai brought the rights to the crossfield tape head reading system and we all know how they went with that lot...... for many years till cd's turned up.

Not mentioned in the list of serious music stores so far has been Secher Audio in Hartwell another devotee of fine music and systems , got me into Monitor Audio a place I'm still in....

30 LP's in my collection and willing to be lent to seriuos music lovers are from the WRC of Hartwell........

Then there's some Music For Pleasure LP's too remember they sold for just $2 each and made in Dee Why....  & Ktel too  LOL.

For those left wondering what was the go to test album back then, well there was only one from Polydor...   A Swinging Safari by  Bert Kaempfert ....   Stereo 237 584  (thanks Red :)

Edited by agelessgoodguy
spelling correction

9 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

For those left wondering what was the go to test album back then, well there was only one from Polydor...   A Swinging Safari by James Last....   Stereo 237 584

A Swingin Safari - by Bert Kempert, not James Last.

Still my "go to" test record!

However the OZ pressings are poor, look for the early Hamberg pressings. 

Depth, swing, tonality, pace and all those other audiofool words and FUN.