Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge ~ A Game Changer for USB and Computer Audio.

Bought the F1 from Shenzen audio through Amazon. Passed on the case as it exceeded my budget. Will try it with my Linn Unidisk dac via spidf and later on with my dual AK4495 DAC VIA i2s.

Next thing is to rebuild the 12v Linear psu for the mini-pc to swap out from the switch mode wall wart.

• Like 1

If anyone else may be interested, I have some details of some replacement components inside the Singxer.

I have been chatting to elan120 (Kevin) on Headfi.

They have been doing a few other changes after changing the internal power supply. Here is what info he sent me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Glad to hear you are experiencing better sound quality with the LPS-1 change. The next logical move as you are interested in is to replace the regulator on the main board, and this should take the sound quality up another notch as SU-1 benefiting greatly from clean power input.

There are two different regulators used by most of the people I have seen modifying their SU-1. First is Sparkos Labs SS1117-3.3V discrete regulator, and to make this regulator work the best, you should replace the regulator input capacitor to low ESR type, such as Nichicon FACAP (R7) 220uF 6.3V 7mOhm capacitor, and regulator output capacitor, based on the recommendation from Sparkos Labs, should be Panasonic FR 100uF 50V electrolytic capacitor. The cap sitting closest to the Xilinx FPGA chip should also be replaced with the same Panasonic FR electrolytic capacitor, but go with Panasonic FR 330uF 25V capacitor that serves as bulk capacitance for the FPGA chip. The remaining electrolytic capacitor can be replaced by the same Nichicon FACAP mentioned earlier. Additionally, remove the 4 surface-mount 10uF MLCC caps sitting near the regulator to avoid degrading regulator phase margin.

The second regulator would be LT3045-LM31X Ultra Low Noise LDO 3.3V Voltage Regulator from www.ldovr.com. The 5 stock electrolytic capacitors should all be replaced with Nichicon FACAP (R7) 220uF 6.3V 7mOhm capacitors, and the 4 surface-mount MLCC caps don't need to be removed.

Sparkos regulator has better PSRR rating, where LT3045 regulator provide lower output noise level, and there may not be detectable sound quality difference between these two regulators."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going the 2nd simpler option on mine and cheaper. :)

I ordered the Nichicon capacitors here LINK

The Regulator here LINK freight was only $3

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, NordicNorm said:

I notice the Singxer SU-1 has an input for an external word clock. Has anyone tried adding one to theirs?

You mean word clock output. I think that's there for pro audio use. 

Guest scumbag

It would be handy in pro gear yes. I had a earlier PDX DAC that actually had a word clock input as part of its I2S inputs. The idea of using a master clock is that is should remove jitter during a transfer between devices.

• 3 weeks later...

I modified mine to what was mentioned on the other forum.

I think it has removed a slight haziness to the sound that I did not even think was there.

I have been flat out lately so not had much time to listen to my stereo.

Will have to compare to an original Singxer to see how they compare.

Also maybe a few different power supplies to gauge if the LPS-1 is a lot better than other external Linear power supplies or you could just use a cheaper option for a good gain.

I really liked the Singxer as original but definitely for me the upgrades to it have made a nice improvement to my setup.

Not sure on the cap change but could compare to another SU-1 and just quickly put the LPS-1 on it to see.

Pic of my SU-1 with the new caps and new Regulator installed plus the cable used to connect an external power supply.

IMG_0143.JPG

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://blog.kenricksound.com/2017/09/ddcsingxer-su-1-special-upgrade.html

Singxer_SU-1_Special_Mods-01.thumb.jpg.1279e33a7d553951da36193ed457569f.jpg
Singxer_SU-1_Special_Mods-02.thumb.jpg.454ebbdbb54167226419aa2f86798af0.jpg
Singxer_SU-1_Special_Mods-03.thumb.jpg.48715f939f4749045ace7d7c36f54c6e.jpg
Singxer_SU-1_Special_Mods-04.thumb.jpg.f15df79928c104554f726d4402757c97.jpg
The Importance Of DAC And DDC In Digital Playback Is Inevitable, Especially DDC Is Essential. We Have Specialized Singxer SU-1 Featuring Stable Operation At Low Latency. 

A Hand-Wound Fine Mesh Core Filter, A Noise Filter Of IFi Audio, A Super Luxury DDC Full Battery Drive Via A Special Super Capacitor. 

The External Power Supply Casing LFPP (Lithium Ferrite Power Plant) Is A Power Supply System Unique To Kenrik Sound, Developed To Provide Ideal Power Supply. 

Lithium Ferrite Battery That Has Very Low Internal Resistance And Can take out large discharge current instantaneously so that DC power required as soon as music progresses as quickly as noise with no purity as high energy I am prepared for the nucleus.

Excellent Load Regulation And Load Transient Response Brings Super Low Noise Floor, Skillfully Draws Even The Jerk That Clears The Clear Silence At Once, Realizes High S / N Ratio Reproducing Perfectly From Fff To Ppp. 

Custom Type Singxer SU - 1 Special Upgrade Version · · 190,000 Yen · 
External Power Cabinet LFPP (Lithium Ferrite Power Plant) · · · 300,000 Yen

1 minute ago, NordicNorm said:

Yeah. It takes a sub $500 unit and turns it into a +$2,000 one!

Try $5564.73 not accounting for exchange rate loses...

Freight from Japan which is bloody expensive...

GST + Customs Duty...not much change out of $8k landed...

16 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Try $5564.73 not accounting for exchange rate loses...

Freight from Japan which is bloody expensive...

GST + Customs Duty...not much change out of $8k landed...

I'm not really sure how you arrived at your math?

Yen to AUD exchange rate is 1 JPY = 0.0113446 AUD, so 190,00 Y = $2,155, and 300,000 Y = $3,403

Either way, we're still a LONG way off of $8,000...

18 minutes ago, NordicNorm said:

I'm not really sure how you arrived at your math?

Yen to AUD exchange rate is 1 JPY = 0.0113446 AUD, so 190,00 Y = $2,155, and 300,000 Y = $3,403

Either way, we're still a LONG way off of $8,000...

Xe quoting $5564.73...

To buy anything at auction/used Japan you you have to go through a broker + 4%...(may not apply here so not included)...

Exchange rate cost/loss...roughly 0.05 for every $1...now $5842.97...

Exchange rate bank service fee $30.00...now $5872.97...

Freight ex Japan...that battery won't be feather weight...no change from $500.00 (believe me that's cheap ex Japan)...now $6372.97...

Now AUS arrival....Customs Duty @5%...now $6691.62

GST @10%...now $7361.78

But wait...there's more....

Electronic Customs Entry Fee @$50.00...now $7411.78...

As I said...not much change from $8k...

I think you will find the maths calc accurate...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Xe quoting $5564.73...

To buy anything at auction/used Japan you you have to go through a broker + 4%...(may not apply here so not included)...

Exchange rate cost/loss...roughly 0.05 for every $1...now $5842.97...

Exchange rate bank service fee $30.00...now $5872.97...

Freight ex Japan...that battery won't be feather weight...no change from $500.00 (believe me that's cheap ex Japan)...now $6372.97...

Now AUS arrival....Customs Duty @5%...now $6691.62

GST @10%...now $7361.78

But wait...there's more....

Electronic Customs Entry Fee @$50.00...now $7411.78...

As I said...not much change from $8k...

I think you will find the maths calc accurate...

OK, I see what you've done. You've added the 190,000 Yen + 300,000 Yen to get your $5,000 figure!

My bad.

I guess in a $500,000 system it wouldn't be overkill, but in mine? Definitely.

Edited by NordicNorm

On 9/12/2017 at 6:27 PM, custom_made said:

Unfortunately going to all these heroic lengths and then using SPDIF OP is......??????

Must use I2S / PCM (simultaneous) mode OP or all the money thrown at USB conversion is very much wasted.

T

• Like 1

Hi Terry - I'm in full agreement with you on that point.

Also there seems to be a lot of internal added wiring, plugs, sockets ect which can't be good if you are trying to supply a main board with a low impedance, low noise power source. I zoomed in on some of the solder joints - looks a bit shabby to me - what do you think?

8 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Terry - I'm in full agreement with you on that point.

Also there seems to be a lot of internal added wiring, plugs, sockets ect which can't be good if you are trying to supply a main board with a low impedance, low noise power source. I zoomed in on some of the solder joints - looks a bit shabby to me - what do you think?

TBH I haven't had a really close look at the board Clay.

When the Singxr first came out I looked carefully at it due to the fact that it could do 352/384k with 22/24M clocks.

They acheived this by doing reclocking  inside FPGA. As such jitter is dependent on FPGA. After doing quite

a bit of research it looks like there are better ways.

T

• 2 months later...

Just saw this on the Sonore website: http://www.sonore.us/ultraDigital.html . I wonder if this is pretty much an externally powered Singxer SU-1 without the internal power supply, as even the Windows driver manual is from Singxer. This could be potentially a better and cheaper option than getting a Singxer SU-1 and modifying its power input for connecting a better power supply like LPS1.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2017 at 6:24 PM, gt1482 said:

Just saw this on the Sonore website: http://www.sonore.us/ultraDigital.html . I wonder if this is pretty much an externally powered Singxer SU-1 without the internal power supply, as even the Windows driver manual is from Singxer. This could be potentially a better and cheaper option than getting a Singxer SU-1 and modifying its power input for connecting a better power supply like LPS1.

Here's a user review on ultraDigital against modified Singxer SU-1: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37438-sonore-ultradigtial/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-751572

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scumbag
On 08/12/2017 at 2:53 PM, gt1482 said:

These don't seem to have reached us in OZ as yet. It would be interesting to hear how they sound. The Sonore unit is a useful bit cheaper than the SU-1 too.

I have a DirectStream Junior and I'd really like to hear what something like this or a SU-1 does when using the I2S input. 

Does anyone have an SU-1 that they'd be willing to lend out for a few days next year up here in Brisbane???

Edited by scumbag

The interesting thing about the ultraDigital is that Sonore designed it to be fed by USB by its own devices e.g. Rendu and not for universal use on say Win10 or Mac. So when there was requests for drivers it was met with “no”.

I will try mine coming soon with a Mac to see if it works, then I’ll also compare to a SU-1.

On 25/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, Raffinator said:

The interesting thing about the ultraDigital is that Sonore designed it to be fed by USB by its own devices e.g. Rendu and not for universal use on say Win10 or Mac. So when there was requests for drivers it was met with “no”.

I will try mine coming soon with a Mac to see if it works, then I’ll also compare to a SU-1.

It seems that Sonore has removed the Singxer Windows driver from the ultraDigital page. Pretty sure it was there initially. I am wondering that this was done to protect the interest of Singxer. There might be still a fair chance that the driver from Singxer would work on ultraDigital.

On 21/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, rocky500 said:

I think it is actually the same actual driver as the previous version Rob but with added functionality in the buffer settings etc. Works with the F1 too.