Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge ~ A Game Changer for USB and Computer Audio.

I guess my view on the Singxer is that it is a bit of a game changer, it seems to be different from the others - a fresh take on USB input into our systems.

I haven't tried all of the USB interfaces, but have have heard in my system three xmos devices, Audiophileo, Amenaro and also the Klein II and Holodac with their on board (and somewhat dated) xmos chips, the Singxer improves on all of this.

What the Singxer has done to my Killerdac with its Philips 1541 dac chip is revelatory, thoroughly involving no mush/hash just clarity and alacrity.

Its probably just the latest chipset and good engineering with Singxer ...

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

Guest m_james

I might give it a go. I can't use audiophilleo because the adapter doesn't fit my DAC. I'm not thrilled about needing another power outlet to plug the Singxer - battery power is more ideal for me.

Guest scumbag

Also, the singxer f1 can be usb powered so an ifi iusb could be employed to provide a good clean power source. Of course the combined cost might be getting into su1 territory but you can use pack of rechargeable batteries to power the iusb as long as you get the voltage right. I think it needs 9v from memory. The f1 with good filtering is supposed to be getting close to the su1. 

Edited by scumbag

I have a Singxer SU-1 on the way.  I'll be interested to see how it improves the Mola-Mola DAC, if at all.  A few brief questions to existing owners if I may:

1. Does USB "pre-conditioning" still matter? Eg Regen, Jitterbugs, W4S reclocker, etc

2. I have a Wireworld Oasis AES/EBU digital interconnect, any opinions on best SPDIF from Singxer to DAC?

3. Anyone noticing the power cable to the Singxer making a difference?

Edited by Stereophilus
added inverted commas

Guest scumbag
6 minutes ago, Sir Rab of Everest said:

@"steve m", have you tried a better linear supply to the board? That's my next step.

I thought the telema was pretty good? I've read a lot about people tweaking the Gustard and the Melodious XMOS units but haven't seen anything on the Singxer to date.

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

I have a Singxer SU-1 on the way.  I'll be interested to see how it improves the Mola-Mola DAC, if at all.  A few brief questions to existing owners if I may:

1. Does USB "pre-conditioning" still matter? Eg Regen, Jitterbugs, W4S reclocker, etc

2. I have a Wireworld Oasis AES/EBU digital interconnect, any opinions on best SPDIF from Singxer to DAC?

I would say use it without the addons Eg Regen, Jitterbugs, W4S reclocker, etc

You can still use the AES cable as there is one port on the Singxer. It suppose to be pretty close to the i2s connection.

I thought the telema was pretty good? I've read a lot about people tweaking the Gustard and the Melodious XMOS units but haven't seen anything on the Singxer to date.

You can power the SU-1 with an uptone LPS-1.

What I've seen is that Kitsune is selling a nice little backplate that lets you plug a 2.1mm plug into the rear. Then you just disconnect the internal Talema supply and the internal cable clips in.

Of course you can use other supplies too.

But yes it seems a waste to just have the Talema supply in there doing nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

My adds to the Singxer SU1:

Intona galvanic isolator : A slight smoothing of the music. Not night and day but still improvement.

Audioquest Jitterbug: Surprisingly a big improvement if you like a more anolgue deep and textured sound which I do. I thought the Jitterbug was ok before the Singxer but wouldn't be without it now. Also the cheapest add on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BAM said:

My adds to the Singxer SU1:

Intona galvanic isolator : A slight smoothing of the music. Not night and day but still improvement.

Audioquest Jitterbug: Surprisingly a big improvement if you like a more anolgue deep and textured sound which I do. I thought the Jitterbug was ok before the Singxer but wouldn't be without it now. Also the cheapest add on.

Ok, I have an intona, regen and jitterbugs x2.

sounds like these add ons could still be important.  At the very least worth trying with the Singxer.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
19 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

Ok, I have an intona, regen and jitterbugs x2.

sounds like these add ons could still be important.  At the very least worth trying with the Singxer.

May as well try them if you have them!

1 hour ago, scumbag said:

There's at least one thread on CA where folks report significant improvements using better linear supplies (including the LPS-1). This prompted DC adapter products from Kitsune and Sonore (although I'm not sure of the latter ever made it to production).

- r

3 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

I trialled a Cardas AES/EBU and compared it to an Aurealis Audio Pure Silver 75 Ohm RCA to RCA with the ETI connections and I couldn't detect any difference (and saved a fair chunk of money) so I would stick with your current cable. https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/digital-cables/.  Also a great way to support a local cable guy.

I'm keen to try a jitterbug so that could be my next tweak. I am running an Antipodes DS Reference (the older cigar case) into the Singxer into my Devialet LE 200, I tried it with my Meitner Dac and didn't like it as much as using the usb input on the Dac.

50 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

I trialled a Cardas AES/EBU and compared it to an Aurealis Audio Pure Silver 75 Ohm RCA to RCA with the ETI connections and I couldn't detect any difference (and saved a fair chunk of money) so I would stick with your current cable. https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/digital-cables/.  Also a great way to support a local cable guy.

I'm keen to try a jitterbug so that could be my next tweak. I am running an Antipodes DS Reference (the older cigar case) into the Singxer into my Devialet LE 200, I tried it with my Meitner Dac and didn't like it as much as using the usb input on the Dac.

I too placed an order last night for this coax cable. I was planning on feeding my F-1 with my Regen and Curious cables but looks like adding a jitterbug to the chain might improve things!

3 hours ago, Nap250 said:

Yes, I have tried some of Geoff's analog cables with good results.  Interesting experience on the Meitner.

A friend has the Berkeley alpha USB bridge which I might compare to the Singxer as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

Yes, I have tried some of Geoff's analog cables with good results.  Interesting experience on the Meitner.

A friend has the Berkeley alpha USB bridge which I might compare to the Singxer as well.

Would you please let us know what effect the jitterbug has in the chain when you get around to trying it. 

The Alpha comparison would be interesting given it had been around for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Nap250 said:

Would you please let us know what effect the jitterbug has in the chain when you get around to trying it. 

The Alpha comparison would be interesting given it had been around for a long time. 

Of course, I'll post here with some thoughts after I've set it up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

It will be interesting to hear if the Singxer can hold its own against a $3000 plus converter.

Edited by BAM

Hi @Stereophilus ,

I assume that I am the owner of the Berkeley.  When you are ready the comparison will be interesting.  It only does XLR and Spidif out.  I did consider at one time sending the Berkeley to @BAM to do a comparison but that didn't happen. 

Cheers

John

Edited by Assisi
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Assisi said:

Hi @Stereophilus ,

I assume that I am the owner of the Berkeley.  When you are ready the comparison will be interesting.  It only does XLR and Spidif out.  I did consider at one time sending the Berkeley to @BAM to do a comparison but that didn't happen. 

Cheers

John

You guessed right John!  I'll be in touch when my Singxer is set up.