Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Goodbye TiVo hello Fetch

Just now, Grimmie said:

Been researching new PVR / set top boxes to replace my Beyonwiz DP-P2 and came across this thread to read through. The general opinion seems to be favourable on here but reading other review sites Fetch Mighty gets quite a lot of negative to horrible reviews.

To the guys who've had the unit a while, is it worth the fuss and the money? @Pops110 @loki65  @digitalhome @betty boop

no fuss. we are fine and happy with it :)

a couple of caveats... need to now and then...maybe every 6 months ? just unplug it re plug it from power... ? 

need a splitter that use as a hdcp striper in line if plugging into a 4k telly or other device.

good replacement of the TiVo :) we got our free from optus as well, so what's to grizzle about :D 

I think the fetch mighty is a great bit of kit. Does everything we need it to and more.

As Al said, occasionally have to unplug and then power back up but other than that it works fine. I don’t seem to have the issue where a stripper is required. I have it plugged into a Denon x1200w receiver then onto a 4K tcl telly with no issues. 4K content on Netflix is very impressive.

I say go for it, I think you’ll be happy with it.

Cheers Dave 

Posted (edited)

Another vote for the Fetch Mighty here. I don't use any of the movie services, so can't comment on the 4K capability, but for everything else it works well. What I have found to be a real plus, is I bought a second hand Fetch mini to use with the Fetch Mighty. This gives the ability to view content recorded on the Mighty in another location. You can also set recordings and series tags via the Mini.

One negative that I have found is that the Fetch uses FTA program info data from it's own website. The problem with this is that it doesn't give year of release, or cast info for movies screening FTA. Not a big deal, unless you have movies where you don't know if it's a remake of a movie, or the original. Also, I sometimes find that the description may be a bit generic? So when you decide to record an action movie, it can be disappointing when you do start watching it, only to find it is a Chuck Norris or Stephen Segal movie. This is a very minor problem though, and is easily remedied with the delete button.

Edit: I forgot to mention that very early on I sometimes had the problem where I'd turn on the Fetch, TV and AV amp, and I'd only get sound but no picture. To remedy this, you had to remove power from the Fetch and let it reboot, then all good again. This problem hasn't re-surfaced at all over the last 6? months. It may e due to a firmware update, but I really don't know.

Edited by bob_m_54

well apparently an updated remote ... $29 from fetch via their eBay outlet, with netflix and Apps buttons ... also what is good is some of the buttons that you needed to hit the 123... button ... to see are now made hard buttons as well 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fetch-Remote-Netflix-Button-Suits-Mighty-Mini-Gen-2/312630067403?fbclid=IwAR1X6P0V3u-LLC6DAQSaYarL1cqIsc8u_ysNOK1t11yH-Q13wSr4euTHVdg

s-l1600.png

On 20/09/2019 at 6:59 PM, betty boop said:

well apparently an updated remote ... $29 from fetch via their eBay outlet, with netflix and Apps buttons ... also what is good is some of the buttons that you needed to hit the 123... button ... to see are now made hard buttons as well 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fetch-Remote-Netflix-Button-Suits-Mighty-Mini-Gen-2/312630067403?fbclid=IwAR1X6P0V3u-LLC6DAQSaYarL1cqIsc8u_ysNOK1t11yH-Q13wSr4euTHVdg

In practice it looks like it's just the addition of a Netflix button, which would still justify an upgrade to save a few button presses if you're a frequent Netflixer.

Old model already has an Apps button, and the only 123... function made into a hard button is 'Text'.  Has anyone ever used the 'Text' function?  What does it do?

I would have preferred the 'Av' function, I've actually used that occasionally to switch the TV back to the correct input.

2 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

In practice it looks like it's just the addition of a Netflix button, which would still justify an upgrade to save a few button presses if you're a frequent Netflixer.

Old model already has an Apps button, and the only 123... function made into a hard button is 'Text'.  Has anyone ever used the 'Text' function?  What does it do?

I would have preferred the 'Av' function, I've actually used that occasionally to switch the TV back to the correct input.

my dad very much uses the text button ... its the subtitles i believe. he finds a pita has to hit the highlight 123 button all the time :) also the netflix button will be use full for him rather than diving through apr pretty sure netflix is all he uses in the apps :)

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

my dad very much uses the text button ... its the subtitles i believe. he finds a pita has to hit the highlight 123 button all the time :) also the netflix button will be use full for him rather than diving through apr pretty sure netflix is all he uses in the apps :)

Yes, of course.  Forgot about subtitles.  There may have been a lot of people pushing for that. 👍

I'll probably get one. Price seems fair. Wife will appreciate the Netflix button and it won't hurt to have a spare.