Fetch Owners & Discussion Thread

On ?4?/?03?/?2017 at 6:08 AM, loki65 said:

...............................Thinking of trying a HDMI splitter .........................

Picked one of these up.

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3134d-2-way-hdmi-splitter/

Plugged it in and sound was spot on but no picture.

Is there any special way of setting these up, any ideas??

39 minutes ago, loki65 said:

Picked one of these up.

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3134d-2-way-hdmi-splitter/

Plugged it in and sound was spot on but no picture.

Is there any special way of setting these up, any ideas??

Yikes !! No nothing to it, should just work. Sounds like hdcp still blocking picture. That altronis one looks like the office works comsol but a 4K version.

maybe return get another. The Jaycar unit is other that has worked for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How well does the Fetch Mighty do with media on the local network? We switched to the original fetch when our TiVo died but found that it was quite clunky when streaming movies from the local network with, for example, DVD covers not being displayed ... Has this area improved with the latest models?

On 05/03/2017 at 11:45 PM, aasza said:

What the manufacturers of these new HDCP 2.2 compliant PVR's aren't telling people is that they are legally forced in their licensing agreements with content providers such as Netflix and the HDCP 2.2 encryption protocol's creator (iNtel corporation) to implement inbuilt Hardware Blockers in their devices that will not allow a full HDCP 2.2 4K signal to handshake with more than one device at a a time or to a device that has multiple signal outputs (ie.. an AVR) which can be daisy chained to other devices because this opens the door for the Pirating of their content by allowing the full 4K content to be sent on to external devices that may have recording capabilities.

Do you have a reference for this?

My understand is the issue is much less nefarious ..... it is simply that many devices do not correctly implement the creation of multiple keys correctly, and so cannot function correctly with a repeater that offers more than a certain number of outputs.

Something I find rather interesting,

we have a series tag on food safari...well what notice if start watching from the first one recorded. when get to the end of that episode... it automatically loads up the next one... pretty much seamlessly...

kind of like the series play that the tivo had...nice touch :)

ooh looks like Code 1260 works for enabling the fetch tv remote to work for the pio kuro.

now if I could just work out what the code is to work the fetch to run the vol and mute buttons on the marantz av processor :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went by HN Knox on Friday evening and had a play with the Fetch Mighty that they have set up there.

Downloaded the user manual and had a read through as well.  Only thing that concerns me in the manual is that it says if you're without internet for more than 48 hours the box locks up and can't be used at all until you get your internet connection back.

Anyone experienced this?

Probably won't be an issue.  We do have outages where we are, but only rarely for longer than a day. 

But it does seem a bit extreme to me.  How much EPG does the box store? Surely more than 2 days! And there's other stuff the box can still do without needing the internet.

Am I being cynical to suggest that they don't want to encourage activity that doesn't expose you to paid content?

Anyway, pretty confident the other half will be happy with the User Interface, so pulled the pin and put in my order with my TiVo discount over the weekend. Now for the wait.

no not experienced. epg seems to go for ages into future.

just set up my channels that dont include paid content. if dont want to see that. theres no need to disconnect it from the internet if down want to see paid content available. like the tivo i would suggest its not a good idea to keep disconnected from the internet for extended periods.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2017 at 5:50 PM, :) al said:

no not experienced. epg seems to go for ages into future.

just set up my channels that dont include paid content. if dont want to see that. theres no need to disconnect it from the internet if down want to see paid content available. like the tivo i would suggest its not a good idea to keep disconnected from the internet for extended periods.

Thanks Al.

Setting up the 'My Channels' will be one of the first things I do!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Thanks Al.

Setting up the 'My Channels' will be one of the first things I do!

apparently if dont want to ever see again can edit and delete channels dont want as well. not that have done that ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the Fetch mighty for quite awhile now. I really like it,so does the missus which is a bonus. 

We have one issue at the moment. When I select 2160p 60hz on the Fetch it plays ok for a little bit but goes very grainy, so I have to switch back to 1080.

The Fetch is connected to a Denon X1200 and then connected to my tellys hdmi 2.0/hdcp2.4 port. Not really sure what's going on.

I have just upped the speed on my nbn connection but it won't take effect till the next billing cycle, the Fetch is hard wired to my modem.

Any advice would be great.

cheers Dave 

I have had a Fetch Mighty for some time now and I find the video scaler to be "average". On HD broadcasts the picture is great, but pretty poor on SD broadcasts. I will admit the Panasonic DVR's do a much better job at upscaling the SD channels compared to the Fetch Mighty. 

On 11/05/2017 at 1:02 PM, Pops110 said:

I've had the Fetch mighty for quite awhile now. I really like it,so does the missus which is a bonus. 

We have one issue at the moment. When I select 2160p 60hz on the Fetch it plays ok for a little bit but goes very grainy, so I have to switch back to 1080.

The Fetch is connected to a Denon X1200 and then connected to my tellys hdmi 2.0/hdcp2.4 port. Not really sure what's going on.

I have just upped the speed on my nbn connection but it won't take effect till the next billing cycle, the Fetch is hard wired to my modem.

Any advice would be great.

cheers Dave 

yep as per @loki65  you probably want it at 50hz ? though depends on what signal being fed. I've left mine on 1080p50 and am getting better result PQ wise than what was getting on the tivo. picture has better contrast/sharpness punch to it. the tivo just looking a bit more washed out and soft. so happy wiht the move across :)

interesting how you go with the nbn pops... let us know when your bandwidth goes up ...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bit of an update. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the fetch box but not to the Denon or Xbox. So I bought a powered 5 port switch box to connect everything up. The speed of the nbn has also been upped.

So fat everything is working great. Taking the Denon and Xbox off the wireless seems to have improved the internet speeds across the board, I think. 

I have also just replaced the hdmi cables with the Comsol 4K cables that @:) al recommended. Finally getting 4K through to the telly. At least that’s what it’s telling me. I switched the fetch to 2160p 50hz and there has been no issues like before.

Picture looks great. Very happy to get it going for a small outlay.

cheers Dave 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Bit of an update. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the fetch box but not to the Denon or Xbox. So I bought a powered 5 port switch box to connect everything up. The speed of the nbn has also been upped.

So fat everything is working great. Taking the Denon and Xbox off the wireless seems to have improved the internet speeds across the board, I think. 

I have also just replaced the hdmi cables with the Comsol 4K cables that @:) al recommended. Finally getting 4K through to the telly. At least that’s what it’s telling me. I switched the fetch to 2160p 50hz and there has been no issues like before.

Picture looks great. Very happy to get it going for a small outlay.

cheers Dave 

great to hear pops ! what powered 5 port switch did you end up getting ? starting to run out of ports myself ! 

Just now, Sime said:

I was just looking at one of these in the Good Guys, might be a replacement for my crap Humax 4tune rubbish. 

ps if on optus might be able to get one for free depending on plan you are on. 

I purchased a TiVo in around 2009 second hand on eBay. Last year I sold it just before the announcement that support was ending (dumb luck on my part). I ended up selling it for more than I paid after using it for many years.

I put the sale proceeds into a Fetch Mighty and couldn't be happier. The fetch used to have a few problems with the sync between it and the AVR which required the fetch to be restarted. But it hasn't done it for ages, so I assume it was updated and the problem fixed. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the TiVo in the future!

• 6 months later...

Just picked up a fetch mighty. What is the best resolution to select? 1080p@50hz or 1080p@60Hz? or something else? for smoothest video. I find on some of the paid channels motion is not so good. I won't be using netflix or any of the apps. Just paid channels and maybe some FTA.

I have a samsung MU6100 4KTV but when I select 2160p@ 50 or 60 it won't work could be my hdmi switch.

25 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Just picked up a fetch mighty. What is the best resolution to select? 1080p@50hz or 1080p@60Hz? or something else? for smoothest video. I find on some of the paid channels motion is not so good. I won't be using netflix or any of the apps. Just paid channels and maybe some FTA.

I have a samsung MU6100 4KTV but when I select 2160p@ 50 or 60 it won't work could be my hdmi switch.

probably related to what you tv is doing with it. i use 1080p50 keep in mind the paid channels themselves are not that great, and could be worse depending on streaming quality you have access to. we cancelled all that. but do get some free included ones. appletv 4k is much better for netflix and such. the fetch tv is really a good fta thing. rest is average in my opinion.