Sign in to follow this  
Peter-C

Mober Bearing Housing for LP12

12 hours ago, djb said:

@andyr now get a grip 

the point is to remove Ivor's upgrade compulsion NOT substitute Edmund for Ivor.

Haha - good point, David!  :thumb:

11 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Oooo and BTW...have ordered both platter and bearing off Edmund...:)

Tase

2 in one hit, Tase!  And no Tranquility?

I need to get my Tranqu fitted first - and enjoy that - before thinking of a Mober bearing.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Tranq's are on back order...yes tranq's as in plural...

Tase

1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

Tranq's are on back order...yes tranq's as in plural...

Tase

How much was the bearing? Very interested. Been looking at Cirkus bearing for awhile so this definitely has my attention.

1 hour ago, kelossus said:

How much was the bearing? Very interested. Been looking at Cirkus bearing for awhile so this definitely has my attention.

email Edmund....He's good to deal with...

chanedmund7@netvigator.com

Tase.

17 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

email Edmund....He's good to deal with...

chanedmund7@netvigator.com

Tase.

Yes I have bought off him before, just wanted to know roughly.

Is it less than a brand new Cirkus Bearing?

On ?6?/?03?/?2017 at 6:24 PM, andyr said:

But given that a recording of a live music event always sounds degraded compared to the event listened to live ... why do you think that a before&after recording of the Mober will be able to show up the differences that you might be able to hear, live?

I suggest what is needed is 2 identical LP12 (same standard, same arm, same cart) side by side - listen to one ... then the other.

Andy

your proposal will also work, but don't discount the ability of a 96khz digital recording to capture any small differences, and also alow you to check bearing noise levels using PC software. Should there be an improvement before and after recordings can be shared. If the change in sound is so subtle as to not be captured by a digital recording then arguably its not really much of a change/ improvement. I hope my suggestion is taken onboard. I had no intention of distracting this thread, but from now on, in threads that take my interest, I will be challenging anyone who claims an improvement to prove it with an audio sample. Its not really hard to do, and should if anything reassure the modder, that their endeavour was worthwhile. I personally now take recordings fwiw.

20 hours ago, andyr said:

Haha - good point, David!  :thumb:

2 in one hit, Tase!  And no Tranquility?

I need to get my Tranqu fitted first - and enjoy that - before thinking of a Mober bearing.

Andy

You aint got the Tranq fitted yet Andy...??

Tase

3 hours ago, Tasebass said:

You aint got the Tranq fitted yet Andy...??

Tase

No, Roger rang me on Wed night a week ago and we had a good chat.  He also supplies the threaded plastic insert (which fits over the Cirkus bolts) in a shorter length and this is probably what I'll need for my SkeletaLinn.

It is on its way.

Andy

13 hours ago, eltech said:

your proposal will also work, but don't discount the ability of a 96khz digital recording to capture any small differences, and also alow you to check bearing noise levels using PC software. Should there be an improvement before and after recordings can be shared. If the change in sound is so subtle as to not be captured by a digital recording then arguably its not really much of a change/ improvement. I hope my suggestion is taken onboard. I had no intention of distracting this thread, but from now on, in threads that take my interest, I will be challenging anyone who claims an improvement to prove it with an audio sample. Its not really hard to do, and should if anything reassure the modder, that their endeavour was worthwhile. I personally now take recordings fwiw.

And, given all I have is a CD-R ... how am I going to make recordings at 96Khz?:wacko:

Andy

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

No, Roger rang me on Wed night a week ago and we had a good chat.  He also supplies the threaded plastic insert (which fits over the Cirkus bolts) in a shorter length and this is probably what I'll need for my SkeletaLinn.

It is on its way.

Andy

Hi Andy

Can you explain this threaded plastic insert?  Does it fit over the bolts and bearing housing to position the tranquillity lower magnet?  If this is so and it is specific to circus is it to be an issue with Edmunds Mober Ring Bearing?  I guess @Tasebass will know if they're compatible given he has gone for Edmund bearing and inner platter and tranquillity.  I hope they are as I'd like to keep my options open for the tranquillity if I go the Edmund bearing.

3 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

Hi Andy

Can you explain this threaded plastic insert?  Does it fit over the bolts and bearing housing to position the tranquillity lower magnet? 

Yes, if you have a look at the pics on the TPA site, you can see the upper disc fits around the boss on the underside of the inner platter - while the threaded insert in the lower disc straddles the 3 Cirkus bolts.  Turning the threaded insert determines how much the lower disc is lifted off the (in your case) subchassis.  In a Linn bearing, the distance from the top of the bearing to the top of the subchassis is, what, 3mm?  In my SkeletaLinn, the distance is 6mm - hence, to compensate, I need the slightly-shorter, threaded insert.

Roger said you lower the inner platter down into the bearing housing and if it hits the bottom ring ... this has to be lowered.  So remove the inner platter, screw in the threaded insert a couple of turne ... and try again.

If this is so and it is specific to circus is it to be an issue with Edmunds Mober Ring Bearing?  I guess @Tasebass will know if they're compatible given he has gone for Edmund bearing and inner platter and tranquillity.  I hope they are as I'd like to keep my options open for the tranquillity if I go the Edmund bearing.

Yeah, I believe Roger has one, too so you will know whether it is compatible or not.

Andy

Cheers @andyr.  Makes sense now.  I'd guess seeing as the lower disk straddles the 3 cirkus bolts and these are the same spacing for the mober and cirkus, so long as the top section of the mober bearing is the same outer diameter as the circus there shouldn't be a problem.

Issue still remains of the hole size through the Valhalla.  Perhaps I need to make the Valhalla "off board" - anyone got an extra switch or blanking plug for the top plate?

2 hours ago, andyr said:

And, given all I have is a CD-R ... how am I going to make recordings at 96Khz?:wacko:

Andy

It’s not strictly necessary. A 44.1khz recording will do the job. I personally observe that a higher sample rate sounds more like the record than 44.1khz. But thats up to the individual to decide.

But I can understand your apprehension. I find CD recorders are a bit pernickety to use, and of course you need to spend a few dollars on a disc every time you want to make a recording. That’s why the modern recorders which record to a micro SD card are far more convenient.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Yes, if you have a look at the pics on the TPA site, you can see the upper disc fits around the boss on the underside of the inner platter - while the threaded insert in the lower disc straddles the 3 Cirkus bolts.  Turning the threaded insert determines how much the lower disc is lifted off the (in your case) subchassis.  In a Linn bearing, the distance from the top of the bearing to the top of the subchassis is, what, 3mm?  In my SkeletaLinn, the distance is 6mm - hence, to compensate, I need the slightly-shorter, threaded insert.

Roger said you lower the inner platter down into the bearing housing and if it hits the bottom ring ... this has to be lowered.  So remove the inner platter, screw in the threaded insert a couple of turne ... and try again.

Yeah, I believe Roger has one, too so you will know whether it is compatible or not.

Andy

IMG_3903.JPG.1360fe2805a21eb3573abc113d0c67e2.JPGIMG_3904.JPG.ad9ea85938c718a43dc51106c16a8002.JPG

So this is what we are talking about Yeah...?

I cant see a problem with the Mober bearing if the dimensions are the same as a cirkus bearing...

The insert rides the height for clearance gap once set against the 3 bearing mounting blolts  .... just hope the diameter is the same from Edmunds affair...

should Know by mid next week 

Tase

3 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Cheers @andyr.  Makes sense now.

Issue still remains of the hole size through the Valhalla.  Perhaps I need to make the Valhalla "off board" - anyone got an extra switch or blanking plug for the top plate?

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

Andy

10 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

Andy

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

NP, Chris - I'll deal with this after I get back to Melbourne at the w/e.

Andy

Just need the TP Tranq's then some serious rebuilding.....IMG_3959.thumb.JPG.017cb9cfbe08f978d161d27e7e174527.JPGIMG_3960.thumb.JPG.2604f6cd80105913ceb014d019785e3e.JPG

Tase

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well [emoji1303]
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well emoji1303.png
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.

The Motor kopt some damage in transit....:emot-bang:

IMG_3954.thumb.JPG.fcf7fe0ac69c69a563c2233d90b558c1.JPG

hope its OK. Not going to Know until i do the rebuilds . I've emailed Edmund to see if i can do a "cold" run just to make sure

These units will go on my Black deck replacing a Naim Armageddon which does sound very good.

Interesting your comments re the Khan as both my decks are super quite..

Cheers Tase

Ouch! yeah looks like it took quite a hit.
Also, you may have to modify the sensor mounting on your Khan (if it's the same as mine) as it's designed for the Linn tp.
I know Roger swapped the motor on his Mober to a re-max one, which I will probably do at some point.
Edmund gave me a re-max model no. to try.
Pete.

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

17 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact up to 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

Very sad, Tase.  :(  Hard to see how this could happen when you use a 'Tranquility'.  :(

Andy

1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

Not good at all!! 🤔