Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Peter-C

Mober Bearing Housing for LP12

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, djb said:

@andyr now get a grip 

the point is to remove Ivor's upgrade compulsion NOT substitute Edmund for Ivor.

 

Haha - good point, David!  :thumb:

 

11 hours ago, Tasebass said:

 

Oooo and BTW...have ordered both platter and bearing off Edmund...:)

 

Tase

 

 

2 in one hit, Tase!  And no Tranquility?

 

I need to get my Tranqu fitted first - and enjoy that - before thinking of a Mober bearing.

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tranq's are on back order...yes tranq's as in plural...

 

Tase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

Tranq's are on back order...yes tranq's as in plural...

 

Tase

 

How much was the bearing? Very interested. Been looking at Cirkus bearing for awhile so this definitely has my attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelossus said:

 

How much was the bearing? Very interested. Been looking at Cirkus bearing for awhile so this definitely has my attention.

 

email Edmund....He's good to deal with...

chanedmund7@netvigator.com

 

 

Tase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

 

email Edmund....He's good to deal with...

chanedmund7@netvigator.com

 

 

Tase.

 

Yes I have bought off him before, just wanted to know roughly.

 

Is it less than a brand new Cirkus Bearing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ?6?/?03?/?2017 at 6:24 PM, andyr said:

 

But given that a recording of a live music event always sounds degraded compared to the event listened to live ... why do you think that a before&after recording of the Mober will be able to show up the differences that you might be able to hear, live?

 

I suggest what is needed is 2 identical LP12 (same standard, same arm, same cart) side by side - listen to one ... then the other.

 

Andy

 

your proposal will also work, but don't discount the ability of a 96khz digital recording to capture any small differences, and also alow you to check bearing noise levels using PC software. Should there be an improvement before and after recordings can be shared. If the change in sound is so subtle as to not be captured by a digital recording then arguably its not really much of a change/ improvement. I hope my suggestion is taken onboard. I had no intention of distracting this thread, but from now on, in threads that take my interest, I will be challenging anyone who claims an improvement to prove it with an audio sample. Its not really hard to do, and should if anything reassure the modder, that their endeavour was worthwhile. I personally now take recordings fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Haha - good point, David!  :thumb:

 

 

2 in one hit, Tase!  And no Tranquility?

 

I need to get my Tranqu fitted first - and enjoy that - before thinking of a Mober bearing.

 

Andy

 

 

You aint got the Tranq fitted yet Andy...??

 

Tase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Tasebass said:

 

You aint got the Tranq fitted yet Andy...??

 

Tase

 

No, Roger rang me on Wed night a week ago and we had a good chat.  He also supplies the threaded plastic insert (which fits over the Cirkus bolts) in a shorter length and this is probably what I'll need for my SkeletaLinn.

 

It is on its way.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, eltech said:

your proposal will also work, but don't discount the ability of a 96khz digital recording to capture any small differences, and also alow you to check bearing noise levels using PC software. Should there be an improvement before and after recordings can be shared. If the change in sound is so subtle as to not be captured by a digital recording then arguably its not really much of a change/ improvement. I hope my suggestion is taken onboard. I had no intention of distracting this thread, but from now on, in threads that take my interest, I will be challenging anyone who claims an improvement to prove it with an audio sample. Its not really hard to do, and should if anything reassure the modder, that their endeavour was worthwhile. I personally now take recordings fwiw.

 

And, given all I have is a CD-R ... how am I going to make recordings at 96Khz?:wacko:

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

No, Roger rang me on Wed night a week ago and we had a good chat.  He also supplies the threaded plastic insert (which fits over the Cirkus bolts) in a shorter length and this is probably what I'll need for my SkeletaLinn.

 

It is on its way.

 

Andy

 

 

Hi Andy

 

Can you explain this threaded plastic insert?  Does it fit over the bolts and bearing housing to position the tranquillity lower magnet?  If this is so and it is specific to circus is it to be an issue with Edmunds Mober Ring Bearing?  I guess @Tasebass will know if they're compatible given he has gone for Edmund bearing and inner platter and tranquillity.  I hope they are as I'd like to keep my options open for the tranquillity if I go the Edmund bearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

 

Hi Andy

 

Can you explain this threaded plastic insert?  Does it fit over the bolts and bearing housing to position the tranquillity lower magnet? 

 

Yes, if you have a look at the pics on the TPA site, you can see the upper disc fits around the boss on the underside of the inner platter - while the threaded insert in the lower disc straddles the 3 Cirkus bolts.  Turning the threaded insert determines how much the lower disc is lifted off the (in your case) subchassis.  In a Linn bearing, the distance from the top of the bearing to the top of the subchassis is, what, 3mm?  In my SkeletaLinn, the distance is 6mm - hence, to compensate, I need the slightly-shorter, threaded insert.

 

Roger said you lower the inner platter down into the bearing housing and if it hits the bottom ring ... this has to be lowered.  So remove the inner platter, screw in the threaded insert a couple of turne ... and try again.

 

3 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

 

If this is so and it is specific to circus is it to be an issue with Edmunds Mober Ring Bearing?  I guess @Tasebass will know if they're compatible given he has gone for Edmund bearing and inner platter and tranquillity.  I hope they are as I'd like to keep my options open for the tranquillity if I go the Edmund bearing.

 

 

Yeah, I believe Roger has one, too so you will know whether it is compatible or not.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Cheers @andyr.  Makes sense now.  I'd guess seeing as the lower disk straddles the 3 cirkus bolts and these are the same spacing for the mober and cirkus, so long as the top section of the mober bearing is the same outer diameter as the circus there shouldn't be a problem.

 

Issue still remains of the hole size through the Valhalla.  Perhaps I need to make the Valhalla "off board" - anyone got an extra switch or blanking plug for the top plate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andyr said:

 

And, given all I have is a CD-R ... how am I going to make recordings at 96Khz?:wacko:

 

Andy

 

 

 

It’s not strictly necessary. A 44.1khz recording will do the job. I personally observe that a higher sample rate sounds more like the record than 44.1khz. But thats up to the individual to decide.

But I can understand your apprehension. I find CD recorders are a bit pernickety to use, and of course you need to spend a few dollars on a disc every time you want to make a recording. That’s why the modern recorders which record to a micro SD card are far more convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Yes, if you have a look at the pics on the TPA site, you can see the upper disc fits around the boss on the underside of the inner platter - while the threaded insert in the lower disc straddles the 3 Cirkus bolts.  Turning the threaded insert determines how much the lower disc is lifted off the (in your case) subchassis.  In a Linn bearing, the distance from the top of the bearing to the top of the subchassis is, what, 3mm?  In my SkeletaLinn, the distance is 6mm - hence, to compensate, I need the slightly-shorter, threaded insert.

 

Roger said you lower the inner platter down into the bearing housing and if it hits the bottom ring ... this has to be lowered.  So remove the inner platter, screw in the threaded insert a couple of turne ... and try again.

 

 

Yeah, I believe Roger has one, too so you will know whether it is compatible or not.

 

Andy

 

IMG_3903.JPG.1360fe2805a21eb3573abc113d0c67e2.JPGIMG_3904.JPG.ad9ea85938c718a43dc51106c16a8002.JPG

 

So this is what we are talking about Yeah...?

 

I cant see a problem with the Mober bearing if the dimensions are the same as a cirkus bearing...

The insert rides the height for clearance gap once set against the 3 bearing mounting blolts  .... just hope the diameter is the same from Edmunds affair...

 

should Know by mid next week 

 

Tase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Cheers @andyr.  Makes sense now.

Issue still remains of the hole size through the Valhalla.  Perhaps I need to make the Valhalla "off board" - anyone got an extra switch or blanking plug for the top plate?

 

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

 

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

 

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

 

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

 

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

 

Andy

 

 

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

 

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

 

NP, Chris - I'll deal with this after I get back to Melbourne at the w/e.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just need the TP Tranq's then some serious rebuilding.....IMG_3959.thumb.JPG.017cb9cfbe08f978d161d27e7e174527.JPGIMG_3960.thumb.JPG.2604f6cd80105913ceb014d019785e3e.JPG

 

Tase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well [emoji1303]
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well emoji1303.png
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 The Motor kopt some damage in transit....:emot-bang:

 

 

IMG_3954.thumb.JPG.fcf7fe0ac69c69a563c2233d90b558c1.JPG

hope its OK. Not going to Know until i do the rebuilds . I've emailed Edmund to see if i can do a "cold" run just to make sure

These units will go on my Black deck replacing a Naim Armageddon which does sound very good.

 

Interesting your comments re the Khan as both my decks are super quite..

 

Cheers Tase

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch! yeah looks like it took quite a hit.
Also, you may have to modify the sensor mounting on your Khan (if it's the same as mine) as it's designed for the Linn tp.
I know Roger swapped the motor on his Mober to a re-max one, which I will probably do at some point.
Edmund gave me a re-max model no. to try.
Pete.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

 

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

 

  .mmmmmmmm..

 

Tase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact up to 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

 

IMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

 

  .mmmmmmmm..

 

Tase.

 

Very sad, Tase.  :(  Hard to see how this could happen when you use a 'Tranquility'.  :(

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

 

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

 

  .mmmmmmmm..

 

Tase.

Not good at all!! 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Dacman
      Item: Nordost Red Dawn Leif RCA 1m pair (sold:and Linn RCA 1.2m pair)
      Location: 3023
      Price: Nordost $375 shipped. Linn $75 shipped
      Item Condition: Perfect
      Reason for selling: NLR cable clear out to fund new gear.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.




    • By DrDeeKay
      Item: Linn Ikemi 
      Location: Melbourne
      Price: $999
      Item Condition: Very good, unmarked
      Reason for selling: Replaced with a universal disc player 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, PayPal
      Extra Info: This has been my reference CD and HDCD player for some years but I am simplifying my setup. Originally priced around $3600USD.  The review below sums the performance up perfectly. The Linn is in excellent working order, unmarked, comes with balanced XLR cables, a remote, and original box for safe transportation. This unit is very well constructed, delivers incredible detail and an expansive sound stage. 

      HiFi Review. "Sound wise this is typical Linn. Fast, refined, smooth and very detailed. You can hear just about everything in the mix. Although rather than sound analytical it sounds warm and silky. It has beautiful tone and the way it flows from passage to passage is a real delight." Nuff said.
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.



    • By thejt
      Item: Linn LP12
      Location: Perth
      Price: 1600 ono
      Item Condition: good
      Reason for selling: small child is now almost ready to destroy everything I own. Best it go somewhere safe.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Early Linn LP12 for sale equipped with Rega RB300 tonearm and Linn Asak moving coil cartridge. I am told that I am the third owner of this beauty with the original owner having it for many decades. The second owner got a newer Linn rather than upgrade. The fluted plinth is in pretty good condition with a few small nicks as seen in the photos. Lid is crack free with only minor swirling. Hinges replaced by myself so are almost new. No idea about the hours on the cartridge but it plays without a hitch and stylus looks very straight. I've put on less than 50 hours personally having only got it right before our child was born. It has been well looked after by all owners and I even have the original documents. Bonus shim for the tonearm in case you need to raise the height to accommodate a different cartridge. Happy for inspections for anyone in Perth.
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.










    • By Zoet
      Item: Linn Katan 
      Location: Sydney
      Price: $380 price dropped postage included to Eastern states
      Item Condition: 8/10
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: I’ve owned these speakers since new Original boxes so they will be well packed All tools included. Were part of an Aktiv system 
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.



    • By Salisbury 79
      As the main Star Wars saga concludes, I came across this blast from the past (see photo which for some reason has rotated 90deg).
       
      This was very much in keeping with the cheeky Linn & Naim marketing at the time but timeless in its message nonetheless.
       
      The main difference for mine is that the Source these days starts at the mastering/file quality, pre the turntable / CD player.
       

×
×
  • Create New...