Sign in to follow this  
Gremrock

Voltage, and when to use a conditioner?

So,

I've been wondering for a little while now if I should try running a conditioner on the power for my system. I finally got around to testing the voltage, which is dead constant and 252/253 volts. It held fluctuating for a good 30 seconds so I can assume this is a pretty good indicator.. My concern is does a slightly higher voltage than ideal, adversely affect sound, or is great fluctuation (say 230-250v range) more an issue? I don't seem to get any line noise through it, at least nothing that comes through to the speakers. you can turn the volume up with no signal and hear no hiss...

Would there likely be a benefit plugging source componentry into something like a Thor Powerstation or similar to bring the voltage back to spot on 240?

Power conditioners are the 'final frontier'.  It is usually a case of try it out and see.  My power is at 245 volts.  Ideally you want it at 50hz and 240 volts.  My last house was somewhere in excess of 50hz and it burned out transformers or made them hum.  It improved dynamics and bass but I rather not have equipment getting over worked due to incorrect current.

Conditioners can change sound in a way you may not like.  I don't have any conditioners, but I am currently looking at that upgrade.  Shunyata Denali is an option.  Dedicated power circuit would be a better starting point.   I already have that.

The other aspect to consider is brownouts and surges. 

Indeed up in Nth Qld my wall can output 251V regularly --and the frequency upswings/etc were validating serious hum --especially in PSU's--and some Tube based Modules.

I have the PurePower Regenerators set for 230V plus the frequency adjust to allow wind back on the hum that was prevalent especially my worst offender!--the NAIM CD555PSU direct from the wall--it is now perfectly quiet and left on full-time.

Te latest PurePower Models are Microprocessor controlled for this operation--recommended.

Sorry I'm not sure of this feature is on/in other brands sold here--you would have to ask the Agents/etc--but I would not own anything similar without this adjustment in our current situations.

One of those times when only an in house install so you can evaluate and establish if the solution you require is successful without wasting unnecessary dosh!

Good Luck

Willco

why is everyone talking 240v ?

nominal mains is 230v +/ 6% 50hz

ie. 216.2v - 243.8v is considered normal.

@Gremrock I got a PS Audio Dectet on 7 day appro. from Tivoli Hi-Fi in Vic. I kept it as it did have substantial benefits for me. Maybe see if you can get a Conditioner from one of your audio stores on appro., that way you can hear & see (big improvement to my Plasma TV) in your environment.

Edited by initforthemusic

One problem with conditioners is they won't help with the high voltages at all.

The cheapest that normally pops on for sale 2nd hand is the Thor PS10 units that can lower the voltage your equipment sees.

Just have to be careful with some Chinese made gear is they can sometimes have 220V transformers and 250V+ you would think will be taxing them pretty hard.

Edited by rocky500

Something to keep in mind. I might play with a Thor PS10 at some point when one pops up.. Seems a sensible thing price wise and they sell quickly enough If it does nothing for me I don't see that I'll get stuck with it.. But then that might be why they keep popping up haha

The PurePower regenerators that Willco mentions go beyond conditioning, in that they convert AC to DC and back again, so that the power to the equipment is clean. They also carry a battery pack that takes over in case of a power failure. Your equipment will keep on playing as if nothing has happened. That is an excellent additional feature to have when living in an eara with power drop-outs.

Btw Willco -where did you buy your PurePowers?

My voltage is a constant 243V in my unit and all my components are European 230V designs, where some actually give a range of only up to 230V at the back.

I was worried about it and asked Cyrus and Naim about it (seeing that I have Cyrus and Naim components).

Both of them said it's not an issue and joked that I'd just get more headroom!

Naim said they've run without an issue on 256V in the UK.