Well tempered classic

That is great news you are getting the right puck i too have the larger one that moulfie has and it works just fine. I see you don't use a mat on the classic and this is how the designer wanted it to be used. Does your platter have a concave dip in it too? Apparently this is an addition to the bias where the cart is falling to the centre because of the "dishing" whilst trying to be pushed outwards by the centrifugal force.
Thanks for the heads up on your phono I'll have a read up on it later. I have nill diy skills but would really like to try different capacitance loadings?? between the rca's and the Tron phono. I too am using a canare lead between the TT and phono and find it very clear and neutral and it was made by a fellow sna'er here. Maybe a longer lead would add something to my mix?
I too have an issue with a slight hum from the tonearm wires if i touch them, the tonearm or the rca out connections! I'd love to get the tonearm rewired but i believe it is difficult as the arm is filled with sand, i have read of people running the re-wire on the outside of the tube. How did you find soldering that hair thin wire and how did you remove the cotton sleeve?
You have a lovely set up there and a better cart really would make a big difference in your set up. Apparently the Dynavector carts are a great match for this TT and are what the importer of this table reccomends. I think my next cart will be with this brand.
Anyway welcome to the forum and where do you live mate?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RCA phono loading plug would be the easiest to get and you just get Your RCA splitter. Many will say this degrade the signal though.

Btw still struggling with the new bearing tuning. So hard to get it perfectly level. Quite frustrating actually screw a bit to level one side and the other get tilted. Just keep going back to the old bearing with the collar for now

• 3 months later...

Just want to share this cos this is such a good personal lesson for me, After a while postponing I spent the week or so soldiering on tuning the new bearing to be spot on and it did took awhile cos the balancing is really tricky for me even a slight turn of the bearing screw will make the whole thing on an angle. But in the end I managed to level the new bearing.

All good after a while until I started noticing the platter slightly wobble again it was such a frustrating moment spending all the time and money buying the new bearing, tuning it and it still wobbles. I start over and retune it again (and again) and it all start well until it start to wobble after awhile. I almost gave up and put back the stabilizer collar back in and just leave this bearing issue behind until I remember I bought 50 cst silicon from Runaway awhile back and never try it (I was still using the motor oil as suggested in many WT post). Well I tried it and the platter is stable after tuning. Good start. keep using it for a week now and  it is still stable. great progress.

Tonight I say what the heck and try using the old "broken" bearing and uses the 50cst silicone oil, and I'll be damn it is actually stable with no wobble. played for an hour and it's all good :) we'll see how in goes in a week or so but it is actually looking good. well this has been a long exercise but is looking good. I'll stay away from the motor oil and stick with silicone oil, motor oil may work for many people including Bill firebaugh himself if you believe some post but definitely not for me :) 

@TOPSHELF @Runaway

Guest Runaway

In hindsight, I should be more careful of lifting quotes as they may not be accurately relayed.  That quote I referred to says the exact viscosity is not critical - which may seem a bit suspect.  Another quote says to use 5W-30 motor oil (https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-exquisite-well-tempered-lab-record-player-optional-dust-cover-with-marigo-audio-lab-p-2014-01-02-analog-94925).  But I think to be safe, if you have access to 50 cst silicon oil, may as well stick to it.  

@mloutfie how are you finding the reference platter?

There are plenty of post that suggest that using 5w30 works. Some even go to recommend Mobil brand to be the best for it (which I use) but I think the manufacturing parameters for producing this oil may change and the one I've got must not be suitable. Where having a silicon oil with exact 50cst is more reliable.

Yes I've tried the reference platter I'm quite torn on what I prefer one the reference platter I think has better tonality but acrylic platter has really good instrument separation and wider sound stage. I also think acrylic has better treble extension.

One thing for sure the reference platter looks really good and make acrylic looks cheap

• 3 weeks later...

@mloutfie that's great news you have sorted the issue for now. I too use a 100cst liquid for the spindle lubricant and the speed is perfect. Did i mention the acrylic platter is slightly concave on my table and tightening the puck does the same to the record? Is this the case with the other platter you have.
I'd really like to get my tonearm re-wired if any readers can reccomend someone, when i get the time I'm going to reset the puck in the goo pot again only this time i want to have it sitting lower within the pot. It's amazing how much influence is put on the vtf by adjusting the azimuth and arm height via the pillar. A set of digital scales are a must when owning this table. Sometimes i love the endless adjustments because when the cart is dialled in the sound is very good indeed sometimes i just wish i had a set and forget deck.....

11 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

@mloutfie that's great news you have sorted the issue for now. I too use a 100cst liquid for the spindle lubricant and the speed is perfect. Did i mention the acrylic platter is slightly concave on my table and tightening the puck does the same to the record? Is this the case with the other platter you have.
I'd really like to get my tonearm re-wired if any readers can reccomend someone, when i get the time I'm going to reset the puck in the goo pot again only this time i want to have it sitting lower within the pot. It's amazing how much influence is put on the vtf by adjusting the azimuth and arm height via the pillar. A set of digital scales are a must when owning this table. Sometimes i love the endless adjustments because when the cart is dialled in the sound is very good indeed sometimes i just wish i had a set and forget deck.....

Yes it's concave but I use a rigmat goldspot http://www.ringmat.com/products/ringmatanniversarygoldspot.htm which lifted the record off platter and since it's only around 10 inch it doing so and makes everything flat 

• 3 months later...
On 01/03/2017 at 4:25 PM, michaelw said:

until i got the sp10 sorted  :D

1. sp10

2. well tempered turntable

3. well tempered amadeus

4. technics sl-7

5. :P

6. technics sl1200

What arm and plinth did you have on the sp-10. I've recently acquired an sp-10 but only have a grace g707 on it that I use for mono cartridge. I have another formula 4 unipivot arm I reckon my best arm is still the well tempered. I got an idea of building a plinth with 2 arm with a removable arm board so I can move the welltempered tonearm between the two turntable depending on the sound results

• Like 1

Just a side note to your question. I recently rewired the wtc arm on the outside of the arm tube and secured the wires with a length of shrink tube. I'm not sure if the benefit came from the extra damping, increased mass or the wire itself. At the end of the day it just sounded better and the annoying hum i was hearing had gone.....
Can i ask what method you are alighning the cart with on your classic arm?

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

Just a side note to your question. I recently rewired the wtc arm on the outside of the arm tube and secured the wires with a length of shrink tube. I'm not sure if the benefit came from the extra damping, increased mass or the wire itself. At the end of the day it just sounded better and the annoying hum i was hearing had gone.....
Can i ask what method you are alighning the cart with on your classic arm?

I used the well tempered way using its protractor, set azimuth first using the azimuth ring guide. Then align with the same protractor

Yes i use their one too but there is a 5mm distance from the printed black ring to the tip of the tonearm. I just don't see how the tonearm can move anywhere to close that gap. There is an equal distance around the edge of the white puck that sits in the silicone filled pot. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Can you elaborate more please.
Thanks ian.

If you rotate the tonearm base around it changes the pivot to spindle distance. If you see the manual for alignment it shows it in the picture

And if you loosen the arm rest screw you can twist it to straighten it up after you move the base around

Well all twisted and on length, it suprised me how little i had to adjust the pillar to adjust the overall length of the arm. Obviously i had to adjust everything else. One things for sure this tt teaches you all about how one adjustment affects others in the chain.

Thanks for the heads up. I wish i could report back on how it sounds but the sunday night idiot box wins in this house......

• Like 1

Yes, cartridge realigned it went back a few mm then vtf then azimuth. I mormally play a whole side then check it all again then leave well alone until i feel like having a fiddle again. It's a great table if you like tinkering with it's adjustable parts.
Anyway thanks for the info. What was it you asked?

And obviously you will need to realign the cartridge as after you change the pivot distance
Well i have finally had a chance to have a listen and what a difference it's made.
Everything is much more focused and i am hearing lovely macro dynamics in some records that were not there before. I will have to find an original template somewhere as mine has been printed from vinyl engine and it's always a pita to get the spindle hole perfect.
Listening to Frazey Ford and her voice is indeed a warble but once again such focus and detail there was definately some sibiliance before this adjustment. I've been blaming the tubes in my phono and was in the market for some new ones. I'll put the TT through the hifi news test record next week and see how we go.
I think there is still a fine adjustment to do on the cart as point 2 on the protractor is still a tad out.
Thank you so much for the simple fix......
Atn Ian.
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 8:13 AM, mloutfie said:

What arm and plinth did you have on the sp-10. I've recently acquired an sp-10 but only have a grace g707 on it that I use for mono cartridge. I have another formula 4 unipivot arm I reckon my best arm is still the well tempered. I got an idea of building a plinth with 2 arm with a removable arm board so I can move the welltempered tonearm between the two turntable depending on the sound results

hello,

i have the sp10 mk2 on a solid jarrah plinth.

originally drilled for a rega rb300

now fitted with an oracle/sme 345, stock vdh arm cable replaced with some fancy purist audio design thingy

:)

EvZ8Tc3.jpg

• Like 2