Sign in to follow this  
lowpoke

FS: Audio Research EC-4 three way active tube crossover

Item: Audio Research EC-4 three way active tube crossover
Price: $450
Item Condition: Good used condition
Reason for selling: Using digital DSP (shock, horror)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: 

This is a classic and rarely seen three way active crossover by Audio Research. It dates from the mid to late seventies. Frequencies are adjusted by changing capacitors on the circuit board. Crossover points are selectable at 50/100/400/500/800/1k/1.5k/2k/3.5k/5kHz. Uses 6 x 12AX7 tubes.

This particuar example has been modified both for practical reasons (to operate at 240v) and for sonic improvements. A new 240v transformer has been added, along with an assortment of upgraded capacitors and resistors. In the process, RCA connectors have been moved to the front of the chassis. Unfortunately these modifications have not been carried out with aesthetics in mind. Nevertheless, if you can get past the less than immaculate appearance, this crossover will not disappoint.

This is a rare, collectible – and for someone with an active three way system, a serious consideration.

Info and photos of this unit in its original state can be found here: http://www.arcdb.ws/EC4/EC4.html

I am happy to package and send this item interstate at buyer's expense. Please budget $30 to $50 for this, depending on your location. Similarly, a buyer in Adelaide is welcome to collect in person from the Adelaide CBD.

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Pictures:

IMG_5488.thumb.JPG.0942555a2e2ffa928e6bff3ff71a7638.JPGIMG_5489.thumb.JPG.21335a92596e373c9f715754dc586a2e.JPGIMG_5486.thumb.JPG.cf1c25df6dc0e41d125435ac2f42705c.JPGIMG_5487.thumb.JPG.a0f179b679c2823efd9ecb8321fb940f.JPGIMG_5490.thumb.JPG.723d0084727489b4acedee692de70180.JPGIMG_5491.thumb.JPG.a6ad6d7625172b4bbb1accc33008d424.JPGIMG_5492.thumb.JPG.b32c101b26773ffb7709e710e139bd96.JPGIMG_5493.thumb.JPG.1101a7e5355bd26015d9ed9575084c36.JPGIMG_5494.thumb.JPG.2a0abdd0fea14478c9455a71aa52cf56.JPG

Edited by lowpoke

Very cool

I wish my speakers were bi-wireable, would to give this a shot! GLWTS very reasonable price for a rare piece of ARC history.

I am curious why one of the tubes is a 12AU7.

They should all be 12AX7s.

I own one of these, a smooth sounding crossover, no digital rubbish here!

Not sure. This unit has been modified from original though. But as I was not the one responsible for the mods, I can't really answer your question.

You need to add the electrical disclaimer to your post.

24 minutes ago, Marc said:

You need to add the electrical disclaimer to your post.

Done.

Wish I could get hold of two of these as I'd like to try the ESL's on a high pass!

SOLD pending receipt of funds.

Edited by lowpoke

15 hours ago, Decky said:

I can answer some question regarding the DIY work - it's been a while.... 

Hi Decky,

Do you mean you did the mods on this unit? I'd be interested to have a chat with you if so, as I am the new owner of this crossover, all things going well.

I'll send you a PM when I take possession,

Phil

Sure - no probs. Any time. 

Thanks Decky, much appreciated! If all goes smoothly, I'll touch base with you probably later in the week.

Regards,

Phil

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By flipswitch
      Hi,
      I’m a bit confused about this now, because I’ve gotten different answers.

I am using the HDMI arc connection ( it’s the only HDMI out) (Denon avr-x1600h) connected to the HDMI arc on my tv ( Panasonic fz950 OLED  (which is full bandwidth)

I have my 4K blu ray player and PS4 Pro connected to my avr HDMI ports.

When I’m playing a 4K movie with Atmos on my blu-ray player, am I getting it down-converted to something lower quality, or full lossless atmos?

I understand that playing something from my tv, eg the Netflix app, I wont be able to get Atmos.

Eg;

When playing a movie with atmos connected to the  HDMI ARC port of my tv, my AVR says Dolby Atmos – True HD.

Now when playing it on the HDMI non arc port, it says the say thing, Dolby Atmos -True HD.

Everything sounds the same.
    • By LukevanO
      Item: Audio Research VSi60, Martin Logan EM-ESLs (pair), Auralic mini, power conditioning and all cabling
      Price: $5000 for the lot (prefer no split)
      Item Condition: Excellent all round, Auralic a bit yellowed from sun.
      Reason for selling: Cashflow crisis
      Payment Method: Pickup only - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: Amp and speakers were listed separately, now throwing in the other items to get this sold,  due to a cashflow crisis (still ongoing!) forcing me to part with the system I always dreamed of. It’s all boxed up now at my home for quick sale, all in perfectly sweet working order, looks as new - with the exception of the Auralic mini. Really can’t deal with organizing shipping but am happy for an intermediary to hand over cash and collect for a courier. Sorry- lots going on! The amp alone is worth the $5k 🤦🏼‍♂️

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Eagleeyes
      Item: Looking at  mono block options from Krell to Boulder to PS Audio to Vitus. AVM or ARC but great dual mono single case amps considered.
      Price Range: Have a very large prefrence to swap for my Gryphon Sonata pre amp and Gryphon Antileon Signature class A power A
      Item Condition: New or Used - Used probably
      Extra Info: Size is a consideration the gryphon power amp is 90 kilos and too long ( just a bit too large for mr room. rack etc so looking at options )

• By GroovyGuru
      A completely new direction for me, so I'm starting a new thread.  Adding this to the old thread did not make sense. 

Said I'd stay away from valve pwr amps; and had reservations about horns, but stuff comes up and I made a change to what I never envisaged.  It sounds good, but still more changes to come.  

From Magneplanar 20.7 to Trio XD.  From AVM MA 8.2 to AR Ref 160M.  From Koetsu Onyx to Ortofon MC Anna.  The Onyx had a low output resulting in the phonostage running out of gain on the MG20.7.  The MC Anna has even lower output, but luckily the change to Trio XD gives me plenty of gain to easily cover the low output of the MC Anna. 

For over two decades I have not been happy with my analog set up.  It has under performed.   I think I needed to use a step up transformer for the Onyx and have the Onyx retipped by Koetsu.  With the MC Anna I love my analog sound. 

The Trio is not flat to 100hz.  The REL does not go much above 120hz.  We have a problem Houston.  No midbass in the current setup.  I've been moving the subs around, but there is no cure for component limitations. (See Later, I changed Trio setup).

These pictures are ugly, but I'm an audiophile not a bloomin' home decorator. 

The setup is Ortofon MC Anna on Graham 1.5t on Aura tt.  AR ph8 phonostage. AR Ref 6 preamp. AR Ref 160M pwr amp. Trio XD maiin speakers. REL 212se subs.  Cables are Audioquest and Synergistic Research.  Two dedicated 20A circuits and 2 dedicated 15A circuits.  Custom fuses on any component that needs them.  They do reduce noise floor. 

• By Realrift
      Item: Audio Research D400 Mkii Power Amp, 200W/channel @8ohm
      Price: $1800
      Item Condition: Very good for age
      Reason for selling: Downsizing audio equipment
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Link to Audio Research specs:
      ARCDB - D400
      WWW.ARCDB.WS  
      I have owned this powerful solid state amp for many years. It can handle pretty much any speaker you wish to play with it. Its now a bit big for my needs and doesn't get used much. There is thin vertical scratch on the left sidefront fascia. It may be able to be polished out. I have left it alone as it doesn't affect the sound.
      This a 240v model.

Happy to demo for anyone interested.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.