MrSchnitzer

PrimaLuna; standard vs HP

12 hours ago, bhobba said:

Make no mistake - it one of the best amps on the planet - even not upgraded. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you after listening to the PL HP driving my speakers and headphones. This is one seriously good sounding tube amp using PL stock 12au7 and KT88.

I'm in awe and simply soaking in the euphony, power and control that the PL is having on my transducers.

Just a teaser pic.

20170925_181245.jpg

Congratulations @Odyssey

I got my PL HP March 2017 with KT120s and can say this is the most enjoyable my system has ever sounded. 
The only mod I did was add a thin white sliver of Ptouch label tape to the volume knob for a visual cue.

I like that the input selection via the remote is direct and not a dumb step around method.

At first I was a bit annoyed that by default the input selection always fires up on CD but soon realised this would be useful and instead of the CD plugged in there I plugged in the source I use the most. Perfect!

The remote is a piece of art and is the most impressive remote I have ever seen. But I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control everything and the PL was easily added to the Logitech functionality.

KT120.jpg

10 hours ago, rockpig said:

Congratulations @Odyssey

I got my PL HP March 2017 with KT120s and can say this is the most enjoyable my system has ever sounded. 

Thank you @rockpig.

I echo everything you said about this amp. I love it !!! I'm going through albums after albums now. I've never been so smitten with a gear before... well maybe my Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge and Avid Pellar phono.

Here's another photo.

20170926_193014.jpg

Glad to hear you are enjoying the PrimaLuna HP Matt. I remember being equally excited about how good our system sounded once the Pl was introduced into it.

Then a couple of months later to make it even better I got back into vinyl and the PL really started to show what a great bit of gear it is.

cheers Terry

On 9/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, Ancientflatulence said:

I am out on the dry dusty blacksoil plains in the North West of NSW  ............. not a lot of kit around here that didn't come from Harvey Norman ......... :):)

I should say that the Prima Luna has been sitting forlornly to one side since a Weston Artisan KT150 landed on my doorstep ........... the day is approaching when I will have to decide between the two .............. :(

Looking at upgrading at the moment and both of these are on my list.Have you come to a decision yet and interested to hear what you views are on them both.

@OdysseySo a few months in now - what's the verdict?

Also, does anyone use the HT input? If so, is there any interference or high pitched buzzing?

5 hours ago, caminperth said:

@OdysseySo a few months in now - what's the verdict?

Also, does anyone use the HT input? If so, is there any interference or high pitched buzzing?

I did try it for several days just after I got mine and it was fine, no buzzing at all.

cheers Terry

On 27/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, McCvinyl said:

Looking at upgrading at the moment and both of these are on my list.Have you come to a decision yet and interested to hear what you views are on them both.

On 15/03/2017 at 9:00 PM, MrSchnitzer said:

I'm fairly sure I'm going to buy one, but I'm currently stuck in a cycle of trying to work out which speakers to choose (from a short list that I've narrowed it down to.)  In an ideal world I'd try the amp with various different speakers, but that's often impractical.

Hey @MrSchnitzer have you got the PL amp in the end? If so which speakers are you driving?

How about you @mcvinyl did you end up with a PL or did you go for the Weston?

I'm considering getting a PL myself but not too sure which model would best suit my Yamaha NS-1000 speakers - and whether integrated or power amp would be the best way to go about it?

Very good amp for the money.

i had the HP version but I had some issues with mine that Magenta could not resolve (weird buzzing noise in one channel). 

In in the end went with a PS Audio BHK 250 / Pre - but that cost 4x as much as the PL. 

i still have extra an Octet of KT150 and KT120’s stored when I tube rolled. Preferred the 120 in the end but that may have been aesthetics as well. 

Preferred Gold Lions in front for their top to bottom balance (help that that are not that expensive). 

Miss the PL sound. 

8 hours ago, Willmax said:

Hey @MrSchnitzer have you got the PL amp in the end? If so which speakers are you driving?

How about you @mcvinyl did you end up with a PL or did you go for the Weston?

I'm considering getting a PL myself but not too sure which model would best suit my Yamaha NS-1000 speakers - and whether integrated or power amp would be the best way to go about it?

I have made my mind up on a Weston Topaz KT 120, It was a toss up but seeing that it will be sitting pride and place in the kitchen dining area my interior director loves the look of the weston with the copper plated cover upgrade and I wont  discourage that.Still in talks with Earle at the moment on some cap upgrades and other options, its great to be able to communicate with the man himself and create your own personal amp. Now I just have to move on some gear to help with the funds which is like cutting my arm off but have to keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

I have made my mind up on a Weston Topaz KT 120, It was a toss up but seeing that it will be sitting pride and place in the kitchen dining area my interior director loves the look of the weston with the copper plated cover upgrade and I wont  discourage that.Still in talks with Earle at the moment on some cap upgrades and other options, its great to be able to communicate with the man himself and create your own personal amp. Now I just have to move on some gear to help with the funds which is like cutting my arm off but have to keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end.

That's a great choice particularly since it's been endorsed by the Interiors Director ? 

The Weston's certainly have a great aesthetic appeal and being able to customise to suit your preference as far as upgrades and appearance is just stupendous value. The look of the Primaluna has a very understated/utilitarian look IMO kind of reminds me of the Bewitched 6550/KT88 deluxe amp. 

Bewitch-6550-EH-Integrated-Amplifier-Del

Edited by Willmax

Has anyone got the photo board installed on the Prima Luna?

7 hours ago, dave1 said:

Phono Board??????????? ............ :):)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dave1 said:

I actually considered it for a while then decided to go down the path of a separate phono stage as I could not find a review anywhere of how good or bad the PL phono stage was.

If you actually find one please share it.

If you look inside the HP Integrated especially after having the Caps upgraded its hard to see where anything else can be fitted.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the link, Unfortunately I think the reply from Herman from PL in 2016 kind of says it all and even though there have been several more enquiries since then it would appear there is still no answer. I think even if they get it up  I'll give this option a miss.

155af26fad87ced13a38f7597548eed7?s=120&dbeheerder says:

Hi Robert! Trying might not be so easy as till now it is a kind of a hassle to get a board installed. The MM version is kind of OK. The MM/MC is something we are still discussing here and it has to be mounted outside on the bottomplate for hum-sentivity reasons. The problem is that we designed the amps to be line source only. The MM and later the MM/MC are designs made after that the amps were designed and in fact already in production. Noth boards perform very well for what they are, but space is really an issue. Will have discussion here again about that on Monday. Have a nice weekend. Best regards, Herman

Edited by TerryO

Sometimes I wish PL should have built in the phono to their amp.  That would make a hell of amp.

23 minutes ago, dave1 said:

Sometimes I wish PL should have built in the phono to their amp.  That would make a hell of amp.

From what I gathered once Herman got to the Kiseki, he realised he couldn't make a good enough internal phono preamp, he decided to drop the product. 

I ordered one in 2014 at SouthPort HiFi - but the customer decided not to go ahead with the order so if you ask Mike to rummage through his inventory, you might be able to find one :P

The chassis stays quite cool, but as with all valve amps - the tubes get very hot and need ventilation space.

I currently have an amp that runs 4 EL34's and it is not too bad with heat output. I was curious if the PL puts out enough heat to make you think twice about using it in summer without A/C? 

1 hour ago, Col. Mustard said:

I currently have an amp that runs 4 EL34's and it is not too bad with heat output. I was curious if the PL puts out enough heat to make you think twice about using it in summer without A/C? 

My PL runs on 4 KT88 tubes. Never too hot in summer.