Sign in to follow this  
muzzagruzz

Toyota C-HR - World's Ugliest Car?

Wacky zone - well, Al, there are plenty that fall into that basket. 

4 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

I quite like the new Vitara and it would certainly be on my shopping list if I were looking for an SUV. Stylish inside and out and a nice price. 

2 hours ago, :) al said:

agree the vitara is a good piece. I reckon it looks pretty well styled actually. rather than those in the wacky zone. 

Thanks, I enjoy driving it and it easy to drive and perhaps most of all it's fun. 

I would have have liked to have got the pearl white with tinted windows and the black mags it looked very stylish. Alas white was out of stock when I bought mine, the turquoise is good tho, different colour and stands out in the carparks. 

I like the the squareness of it outside but to me still looks stylish (a Jimny it ain't) and that squareness translates to roomy inside and visibility. 

I also looked at 

Mitsubishi ASV, semed okay, but resale is horrible and build quality questins. 

Mazda CX3 - small inside and motor not that great. 

Skoda Yeti - I like these A lot , but expensive if you want the better engines which then come with 4wd, resale value and only 1 dealer in Perth who is a prick. 

Vw Tiguan - very nice, but again expensive with the better engines, limited dealerships in Perth and a question mark over relability - friend of mine bought Tiguan around the same time as I bought the Vitara and already he had to have the air conditioning replaced and some gearbox issues. 

Cx5, RAV4 , Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson considered but too big for what I needed. 

Wouldnt mind a Porsche Macan or a Audi Q3s tho :)

Edited by cafe67

sister in law has cooled on the suv "upgrade" particularly since she at end of it cant really see it as an upgrade from her CR-V. more  down grade just in what can get for money... these things are not cheap ! 

its interesting the Cx3 is mentioned . that she just wrote off completely as a jacked up in price and height version of what is after all a mazda 2 ! 

anyways something may re visit ... but for now ... sticking wiht the honda.

ps one car did take her fancy in travels a polo gti of all things...

and must admit it is a nice car about $30k  and almost as fast as a golf gti !  pretty practical a thing too...

Polo GTI is a good thing, for sure. I believe there is a new model on the horizon as this is getting a bit long in the tooth. That and the new Fiesta ST would be brilliant little road rockets that I'd love to drive. 

interestingly got a jeep renegade longitude as a courtesy car when getting the fiat 500 serviced. 

its a bit boxy in shape but gee for space and practically this is worlds apart form the c-hr here. still a big blind spot in back corners of the car... which almost seems the go no matter what get ! 

the biggest surprise in the jeep was the straight out performance and urge of the thing. turns out it has the 1.4 turbo from the fiat 500(abarth) same as in the 124 convertible. and also has a 6 speed dual clutch transmission...

loved the engine... made me want the little abarth 595 that comes with it. fuel economy is around 5L/100 as well which is pretty good. as a jeep though...inside is all black hard plastic...whcih might be not for everyone...also quite a bit up in the air.... and handling and steering not quite as connected as the little fiat 500 that I jumped straight into when dropped the jeep back.

What a combo: Jeep and Fiat! I can just imagine how the parts dealers are rubbing their hands. ;D

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Atjan said:

What a combo: Jeep and Fiat! I can just imagine how the parts dealers are rubbing their hands. ;D

my little fiat has been so far more reliable than our japanese made mazda... so not sure who is rubbing their hands :D 

I don't get the hate. It's clearly derivative of the Evoque. Same bad visibility. Same form over function. But with a Japanese twist which I'm not sure I appreciate. No different from the Honda Vezel/HRV. I think they are called sporty coupe crossovers. I never quite got the purpose of the X6M either.

There are some nice flourishes which i quite like with the LED lights. Not sure if those made it here. The hybrid engine seemed quite nicely reviewed.

I figured the CVT was part of the hybrid drivetrain.

4 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Same bad visibility. Same form over function. But with a Japanese twist which I'm not sure I appreciate. No different from the Honda Vezel/HRV. I think they are called sporty coupe crossovers. I never quite got the purpose of the X6M either.

There are some nice flourishes which i quite like with the LED lights. Not sure if those made it here. The hybrid engine seemed quite nicely reviewed.

I figured the CVT was part of the hybrid drivetrain.

yep bad visibility... but the toyota corolla is not that much better.... I get it regularly as a hire car. even though id rather have a hyundai i30 :D

the HRV is pretty decent actually visibility wise it doesnt go down this style or is that form over function route the C-HR does.

CVTs feature in all toyotas these days.... hybrid or not. its only lexus that busy dumping CVTs in pref to conventional autos....

evoke is a chocking case of form over function for visibility... seems a common curse in a lot of current cars and brands .... its particularly exacerbated in SUVs particularly little ones with raised chasis and chopped roof look that not only reduces visibility but makes cramped and claustrophobic inside. also end up making mockery of boot size as well. 

The ugliest car on the road IMHO was the original BMW 1 series. Particularly from the front.

I called it the face only a mother could love.

The irony that I ended up with the facelifted version and a two door coupe derivative of that car is not lost on me

The new Korean cars don't look particularly right to me either. I can tell they borrowed heavily from the VeeDub group and other German marques but then the proportions don't go well with the terribly small wheels they fit on those cars - where the German variants usually have 18" - and the gaps in the wheel arches look terrible.

3 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

The ugliest car on the road IMHO was the original BMW 1 series. Particularly from the front.

I called it the face only a mother could love.

The irony that I ended up with the facelifted version and a two door coupe derivative of that car is not lost on me emoji51.png

The new Korean cars don't look particularly right to me either. I can tell they borrowed heavily from the VeeDub group and other German marques but then the proportions don't go well with the terribly small wheels they fit on those cars - where the German variants usually have 18" - and the gaps in the wheel arches look terrible.

the current 1 series is a pretty awesome car. I can only presume the original had some bangles influence ! 

the i30N has had bmw influence given the ex bmw guy behind it. they obviously have their sights set on the gti and vw golf though given how popular it is for them world wide. in the koreans .... for hire cars id take a hyundai i30 over a corolla any any day... kia is also doing pretty decent things design wise...with the ceed and now stinger... all dont have the whacko factor some of these japanese cars seem to have :)

the bmw 1 series is to be replaced. the coming release being the last one before they move across to FWD and likely just using the mini base.

Yeah they released a new 1 series sedan which looks a lot like the 1 series here but with a Mini FWD platform. shudders

my little fiat has been so far more reliable than our japanese made mazda... so not sure who is rubbing their hands  

Out of interest, how old are the cars?

I'm driving one of those Corollas at the moment as a hire car. I like how it drives - its got a certain effortlessness about it that I appreciate. The boot is ridiculous though. The sedan has a pretty decent boot on it, not that it makes a difference.

Rear visibility is not great, but seriously, what do you want to see behind you through the rear window? Its got a reverse camera for reversing....

Just now, Atjan said:

Out of interest, how old are the cars?

I'm driving one of those Corollas at the moment as a hire car. I like how it drives - its got a certain effortlessness about it that I appreciate. The boot is ridiculous though. The sedan has a pretty decent boot on it, not that it makes a difference.

Rear visibility is not great, but seriously, what do you want to see behind you through the rear window? Its got a reverse camera for reversing....

our fiat is 2 years old has done 40,00 kms covers the length and breath of victoria and tasmania in all sorts of conditions. amazing little car and not let me down once. our mazda is 3 years old and lives a inner suburban life rarely for the odd trip getting itself maybe an hour out of the burbs. it had two issues in its first two years both meaning undriveable. and needing a trip into there shop to resolve. gee imagine if i had taken it north west tassie or far west or far east or north of vic where the little fiat has been.

rear visibility on the toyota corolla ?

this is what you see when you look behind you.

33561491931_1eac306a6f_b.jpg

when driving rear visibiltiy is an important thing as with not having massive dead zones for visibility that the toyota does. 

it is not unusual though these days and a lot of brands fall in the same trap with very poor rear visibility. a rear view camera is only good reversing. however driving along its absolutely no use. 

On 19 May 2017 at 5:07 PM, :) al said:

interestingly got a jeep renegade longitude as a courtesy car when getting the fiat 500 serviced. 

its a bit boxy in shape but gee for space and practically this is worlds apart form the c-hr here. still a big blind spot in back corners of the car... which almost seems the go no matter what get ! 

the biggest surprise in the jeep was the straight out performance and urge of the thing. turns out it has the 1.4 turbo from the fiat 500(abarth) same as in the 124 convertible. and also has a 6 speed dual clutch transmission...

loved the engine... made me want the little abarth 595 that comes with it. fuel economy is around 5L/100 as well which is pretty good. as a jeep though...inside is all black hard plastic...whcih might be not for everyone...also quite a bit up in the air.... and handling and steering not quite as connected as the little fiat 500 that I jumped straight into when dropped the jeep back.

Interesting , I wonder what the performance of their 1.4  turbo compares the one in the vitara?