Sign in to follow this  
muzzagruzz

Toyota C-HR - World's Ugliest Car?

2 hours ago, :) al said:

the "new" toyota camry is a reasonably sleek thing. I dont understand that big grill but otherwise a tad on the bland but something id suggest falling in the timeless category...

03-2015-toyota-camry-ny-1.jpg

Youre a Star Wars fan......

Darth Vader on 4 wheels man!   :thumb:

8 hours ago, blybo said:

I call the current angular design theme the Transformers styling. Bits hanging out everywhere.

Anyone see the New Top Gear last night? New Ford GT

ford-gt-10.jpg

That does look pretty hot. I like some Ford design and this is specially appealing, although it's way out of my price range. Pity. 

10 hours ago, :) al said:

paint techniques even 20 years ago were a long departure from decades previous. with full dip processes :) gal bodies and such. so rust shouldnt be an issue.

mechanically and this is going back many years ago I remember talking to a designer and reliability guru for one of the majors... and his answer was ... they really only design them for the warranty period after that its good luck. however they have to severely over design for the warranty period given the extremes cars get thrown into. cars are somethings that get enormously wide and varying uses in wide and varying conditions. he told me how they would often be left scratching their head wondering how on earth something failed or what sort of condition/s even caused it. they never get to talk to drivers that cause these failures, feedback is rare and what they get rarely makes a lot of sense. hence the kind of extensive and rigorous testing cars go through. and why cars do go well past warranty. but its all on borrowed time.

i can see your argument though. you have to design for the moment. cant be deigning for the future as you will have cars in the future. that saiid car designs tend to be such long lead times ... takes years for an entire new model to come to fruition. so to some extent we are seeing styling from years ago...

hopefully the car makers can move on :sarc:

the "new" toyota camry is a reasonably sleek thing. I dont understand that big grill but otherwise a tad on the bland but something id suggest falling in the timeless category...

c-hr and camry likely aiming at different market segments though.

There are only a handful of cars that are 'over engineered' these days. Porsche sports cars are one excellent example. Beautifully designed and built will reliability and longevity in mind. Very rare indeed. 

Porsche are also the most profitable brand on the planet.  I am sure they can design long life into a car for a fraction of the price, but nature and business ( the art of keeping people busy) dictates that sufficient is all you get. Even a cheetah only runs as fast as it needs to.

Watched a  video on BMWs and " everything" is plastic these days. You can bet you will not pay a plastic price however.  I am sure that done well this is not a problem but as others have said, it only needs to see out the lease/ warranty .   

Makes you wonder about these 8 year warrantys. Anyway, all the more reason to buy a $15000 dollar Mazda 2 over a $30000 Mazda cx3. You could buy an awesome set of speakers for the price difference. My Vivid B1s were courtesy of keeping my last car for 20 years. Could never afford them otherwise. 

PS, buying today I would have a 2 or a Polo over C-HR any day.  Same sized boot as well.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Porsche's got very good volumes with the success of their SUV range.
One of the things one easily forgets is that all cars have the basics in common: 4 wheels, drive train, cabin, etc.
From a design and manufacture standpoint they are not that different in terms of base cost to get manufactured. The end result is that no-one makes money off small cars. More expensive cars are they reason many stay in the game. In fact, in Europe, VW(Audi, Porsche), BMW and Mercedes was the only ones
making money from car sales a few years back. I'm not sure if that has changed. The rest had to rely on part sales to be profitable.
My point being that its no wonder Porsche is profitable - high prices and high volumes across the range. Base cost to tool-up being similar to any other car company.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 11/04/2017 at 8:01 AM, :) al said:

The new Lexi (Lexuses?) are the same.Lexus.jpg.a151a8c6b877597afde69b4b4710ade6.jpgThey look as though something has fallen off the front, or one of those weird "deep" fish that are all mouth.

Greg

Edited by GregWormald

I understood that the SUV ( and parts ) was the reason car companies make a profit.  A Mazda CX3 has no more ground clearance than its "little" brother but you pay a lot more for little extra.  It's a poor value proposition.

People are clearly happy to pay lots more just for the butch styling, which is what you get with the Toyota as well.

11 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

The new Lexi (Lexuses?) are the same.Lexus.jpg.a151a8c6b877597afde69b4b4710ade6.jpgThey look as though something has fallen off the front, or one of those weird "deep" fish that are all mouth.

Greg

gosh... I can see where the camry got it form now...

do people get this styling through ? why ? whats with this wierd big grill thing ? you pay serious money for lexus... what on earth had them thinking of putting that big huge big A ugly grill on it ?

do people actually think thats stylish or something ? 

the crazy part is ... its likely a faux grill anyways ! the actual radiators now days are tiny things dont need much if any venting out front ! at all. 

In ancient societies if life was rough so were the gods.  If life was good the gods were benevolent. I wonder if that applies to traffic.  The more congested the roads the tougher cars tend to look.

Hey don' t mess with me. My car has a frown and a big mouth.  I bet there is a thesis in that one.

this week as it happens I got to check out the c-hr, the juke, honda HRV, 500X and odd one out the citroen cactus !! sister in law looking at replacement potential for honda CR-V. wanting to down size to something smaller .... but still sticking to the SUV style,

the C-hr has a kind of chopped roof feel to it. high sides, slim windows. sit inside and yes it it claustrophobic in the back. small boot too. with grown up kids(young adults) and the small boot. not her no 1 on the list. though she did think it stylish from the outside.

500X, she really likes my fiat 500 and hence the suv version. it works well in translation. but expensive, looses the fun factor of the 500 somehow in suv form

the citroen cactus... this a huge surprise. she likes manual and and in manual form is a hoot to drive. love that 3 cyl 1.2L turbo its somehow only a 1000kg thing and the turbo engine does well. inside it is so liveable. unique quirky but feels light airy so much room and lovely seats. a lot of thought gone in the design. good boot too. and those bump pads etc are a great idea. this is top of list ! I had a quick drive of the automated manual diesel as well. real grunty thing with a bit of urge. but have to work the gear box which many will struggle with i suspect, am used to it given the same style on the fiat 500. oh and it does come with a moon roof which reminded me of the C4 i once had and loved the panoramic roof on that... i want one :D

the honda is a good middle of ground effort. super well implemented in every way. some question marks on the gps that has to be mirrored off the phone. it can get expensive if move up the ranks. also no turbo and not sure on urge in driving. a good middle of road effort. suspect sister in law will go for the honda hrv. but heck i was getting something id go with the cactus :D

what happened to the juke you say ? well sorry, she took one look, wouldn't bother even getting in. funky she said as she walked away ! 

500X, she really likes my fiat 500 and hence the suv version. it works well in translation. but expensive, looses the fun factor of the 500 somehow in suv form

Good to see another 500 driver on SNA. Reliably driven since 2009.

Pity about the stereo and blue & me though...

Anyhow, back to SUV bashing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Good to see another 500 driver on SNA. Reliably driven since 2009.

Pity about the stereo and blue & me though...

Anyhow, back to SUV bashing emoji4.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oh i didnt realise another 500 driver onboard here :) am ownership doesnt go as far back, only couple of years but our 500 has taken me the length and breadth of two states ! and been very much enjoying, ps I fixed the stereo and blue and me :D

Lol, I've had a Suzuki vitara S since November replacing a Kia pro_ceed turbo (needed. Something more practical and auto) and have done nearly 10000 kays. 

At at first the Suzuki took abit of getting use too after the pro_ceed being quite different cars.  but it's comfortable , roomy for the 3 of us. You can see out out it :D, the motor is good  - 1.4 turbo 103kw ( good, but Mazda is getting -124kw out of their mx5 1.4 turbo) but 220nm of torque is very good. The 6 speed auto is fine, changes are pretty smooth and responsive, turbo lag is minimal. Around town I'm getting low  16kpl and on a recent country holiday was getting high 17s with 3 people n lugguage. 1560 kays in 6 days. Went fine. 

It handles well and the brakes are progressive and work well without being grabby. 

Electric wondows, mirrors, the GPS works really well, the blue tooth is quick. I only have android phone so can't comment on the I drive.  No CD player is sucky, but I have loaded up a 8g thumbdrive with music, works fine. The rear reverse camera is good , plus forward and back sensors. 

Dislikes, the hard plastics, no CD player, be nice if it was a 1.6, space saver spare. 

I like the the boxy shape and I'm pretty sure if I keep watering it, it will turn into a Range Rover evoke :-) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Good car, I'm sure, but no head-turner or fashion statement. Sounds a bit like the complaint people had about Toyotas for the last 50 years. ;D

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I quite like the new Vitara and it would certainly be on my shopping list if I were looking for an SUV. Stylish inside and out and a nice price. 

agree the vitara is a good piece. I reckon it looks pretty well styled actually. rather than those in the wacky zone.