A general power cable discussion

JSmith

So some years back Audioholics did an interesting piece on this subject;

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

It is possible, under some circumstances, to cause a system to behave sub-optimally by using a poorly-designed power cable, but the main consideration at work here is simply wire gauge, and in such a circumstance all one really needs to do is increase the gauge of the cable.

I am posting this as a start to an amicable discussion... I don't necessarily agree with everything in the posted article and I believe the above could be a little simplistic.

I'd like to see discussion on reasons and evidence as to how a power cable can affect a system sometimes and what that cable needs to be able to do to achieve this or whether it is also related to specific types of power supplies, shielding etc.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Surely this needs to be in the great debate section 

I'm sure it will end up there as practically any discussion on cables does. For now though, it's sub-forum relevant.

54 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

So is it correct to assume that you are saying some aftermarket power cables do

They way I heard it, he asked a question(s)

• Why could a power cable cause a difference?
  • What would the power cable have to be like, to cause such a difference (to be significant)?
  • Is this related to specific situations or does it apply generally to audio electronics?

Your ears are the best scientific instruments.  If you can't hear an improvement, then the bottleneck in your system is somewhere else.  If you have a modest system, don't spend big on power cords. 

If you don't hear any improvement then you can save some money and just enjoy your system as is. 

If you do obtain an improvement with a power cable, enjoy it and don't let anyone tell you it does not exist.   Truth in audio is what you perceive.  No debate, really.

• Like 4

Perhaps if the technically inclined could spell out what a power cable actually does would be a good first step.

What is occurring in the phase wire and any difference to what is occurring in the neutral wire.  Is there less energy in the neutral given the item being powered has converted energy to heat, sound, mechanical energy.  If there is less energy should the neutral be a heavier gauge i.e. following Eichman's idea's with the Eichman formula.

Also, how the earth wire effects things given that it is a connection to the general mass of earth, to neutral back at the transformer, to signal ground in the unit being powered etc.

Also, what is actually flowing in the cable.  I know it is said it is a 50 HZ sinusoidal waveform for voltage, but, it is far from that for current considering the action of rectifiers charging the power supply cap.  What effect do the sharp turn ons and off have given these will have high frequency components.

Many of these power cable threads have been full of information but I don't believe anyone has really spelt out just what the power cable really has going on in it.

Fingers crossed here guys - this could go bad at any time :sorry:

If proper results can be obtained here, SNA members could be the first to properly dissect and "solve" this issue. This would provide much traffic to SNA and if mentioned in other Audio publications, could give much kudos to SNA... just sayin'. :)

The Audioholics publication mentioned above doesn't properly explain their assertions in a rigorous scientific method and may simply be based on their own experiences.

The gauge of the cable certainly sounds like a good suggestion though...

JSmith :ninja:

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, JSmith said:

If proper results can be obtained here, SNA members could be the first to properly dissect and "solve" this issue. This would provide much traffic to SNA and if mentioned in other Audio publications, could give much kudos to SNA... just sayin'. :)

I hate to be a pessimist (realist), but nothing will ever be "solved" on this question. 

Neither side will even agree on what the question is, let alone listen to each other's answers 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I hate to be a pessimist (realist), but nothing will ever be "solved" on this question. 

Neither side will even agree on what the question is, let alone listen to each other's answers 

That's what I was trying to express but you've done a better job

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

You think it'll improve once we actually start talking about cables ?

I hope so at least initially if we can talk about the fundamentals of what a cable does prior to whether it makes any difference what cable you use.

At that point it will go south very quickly.