FTGH: KEF Uni-Q (LS50) drivers with deformed cones

SOLD
SOLD

Item: KEF Uni-Q drivers out of KEF LS50s (Damaged cones but may be useful to someone ?)
Price: Free to good home (+ postage). If these are of value to you then a donation to SNA would be a nice gesture.
Item Condition: One driver is clearly deformed from over excursion apparently from being over driven. The other has a slight deformation but much harder to notice. Nothing a speaker grill won't fix. Apart from that they were working when removed and replaced. 
Reason for selling: Thought someone may be able to use one of both of these for a DIY project.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: On the rare occasion I turned it up a bit this happened and I replaced both drivers before selling the speakers. I can't say as I really noticed any glaring issue with SQ after this happened but didn't spend a lot of time listening to them before swapping out. 

Pictures: The first pic is the worst driver still in the cabinet. Next to are both out of cabinet and so on.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.94222d69bb643bf4949f6a9448e6d0e3.jpgIMG_4274.thumb.JPG.f9a4b1de8927a13e80850114113cf72c.JPGIMG_4275.thumb.JPG.7903443103532901df911ec00fc0273f.JPGIMG_4276.thumb.JPG.3caea68af5c4b2d56f139fdc93a1d23c.JPGIMG_4277.thumb.JPG.0912fdfe23b08cebf0495763fa9a7ee4.JPGIMG_4278.thumb.JPG.a26932a1a97f792e2f9ad21533831399.JPG

Edited by adamg
  • Like 1

It's a bit of an alarming trend that this seems to happen a bit to these LS50s isn't it? I don't recall any other metal drivers being known for that but perhaps someone might enlighten me? I mean, shouldn't the spider prevent this kind of thing from happening? This makes a few of these I've heard about and now two in the same speaker set! I'd be miffed (to put it mildly) if I paid for a set of LS50s and then simply putting a bit of bass through them did this.. Maybe excusable in an esoteric full ranger or something but not a commercial bookshelf speaker..well, to my mind at any rate.

Edited by treuben
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, treuben said:

It's a bit of an alarming trend that this seems to happen a bit to these LS50s isn't it? I don't recall any other metal drivers being known for that but perhaps someone might enlighten me? I mean, shouldn't the spider prevent this kind of thing from happening? This makes a few of these I've heard about and now two in the same speaker set! I'd be miffed (to put it mildly) if I paid for a set of LS50s and then simply putting a bit of bass through them did this.. Maybe excusable in an esoteric full ranger or something but not a commercial bookshelf speaker..well, to my mind at any rate.

I was a bit miffed about the whole thing myself as I didn't think I pushed the speakers to hard at all. I'm pretty careful and the SPL was nothing scary.

• Like 1

This happened to a set of LS50 I had from new. They lasted 3 weeks like pieces of crap. The retailer didn't want to refund my purchase. After the usual letter stating my consumer rights and mentioning my solicitor the money was immediately refunded into my account. Don't buy these if you play bass heavy music they will die in you

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Interesting thread...

Out of interest for the rest of us thinking about purchasing these, what amps were the two gentlemen driving them with?

Wyred 4 Sound STi500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair the LS50 drive does have some refinements over the lesser two model variants of the same driver.. but all that isn't much comfort if they are going to die on you in normal operation.. 80W doesn't seem excessive. Didn't clip obviously since the tweeter is ok so it was a bass transient under 80w level that wrecked at least one. Hmm, though the impedance of the driver does dip below 4 ohms down low.. so perhaps more than 80w from your amp is possible. 

Edited by treuben

52 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I'm also joining the queue.

Pick me pick me pick me!   (err - I see someone is picking up).

Junk Dave although ok for free.

Will give you my personal review in person, for fear of litigation