Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

GIESELER KONVERTER (DAC/Preamp) Official release.

So how many other Konverter owners are out there now?

Reviews/thoughts?

Hi Adam,

just taken an order for number five yesterday.

We have improved the firmware a bit too so when I get time I will send out the upgraded control chips to all previous owners.

On 06/07/2017 at 3:20 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Adam,

just taken an order for number five yesterday.

We have improved the firmware a bit too so when I get time I will send out the upgraded control chips to all previous owners.

Order number five would be me.  It will be teamed with a pair of ML2 Reference speakers and Arion HS500 monoblocks once Clay has worked his build magic. I'll be happy to report back once the system has been set up and I've had a good listen but that won't be for at least a few weeks.

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago now and I've been very happy with it so far.  Still waiting to put a few other pieces in place before I do more of a review but I'd highly recommend both the Konverter as a DAC/preamp and Clay himself as someone who's great to deal with.

Hello Clay @Gieseler Audio,

I wonder if you could give us a run-down on the volume control in this Konverter, compared with that in the new Gross DAC, please?

Also, would it be possible to use 2 outputs (eg XLR and RCA) for bi-amping (looks like switchable only at the moment), or would this involve too much change?

Thanks,

Brian.

Edited by BioBrian
forgot to tag

Hi Brian.

The Konerter uses a analogue based volume control but with digital control & is located after the DAC chip in the preamp section. This is implemented using a Muses72320 - it is like a switched antenuator but uses CMOS devices instead of a switch. Bottom line - it is like a high quality stepped antenuator but with the convenience of precision/remote control.

The Groß DAC uses the digital level antenuator that is built into the AK4497EQ DAC chip so it is a pure digital level control.

With digital attenuation you are throwing away bits as the level lowers so you lose a bit of resolution at lower volume levels.

Fortunately due to the AK4497EQ 32 bit architecture this has a minimal effect on the sound unless you are listening at extremely low levels.

Dual outputs 

Konverter - no problem - The dual RCA outputs will work simultaneously or if you select XLR the second (2) RCA output can be used at the same time.

Groß DAC - strictly RCA or XLR - simultaneous operation is not possible.  

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi Guys,

small update. We have put a massive amount of time into the Groß DAC firmware & as a result some of the new features will be able to be incorporated into the Konverter. Things like “heavy load mode” , DSD filter roll off & sound quality select mode.

Some off these features will be switchable in the menu & others are behind the screen stuff. Bottom line is they all add small improvements to the sound quality so I definately what to incorporate them into the Konverter. As soon as the work load backs off a bit I will get on to it. The firmware upgrade is dead simple. Just a matter of replacing a plug in chip.

Stay tuned.

@Gieseler Audio

I think this question has been asked before, but I couldn’t see an answer, is it possible to have both outputs active at the same time ? Ie for the purpose of driving active speakers or power amp and sub etc. ?

Additional question is on the feasibility of headphone socket ?

regards,

Hi Ray,

the main outputs are either RCA or XLR selected by a switch. They do not work both at the same time.

However there is an additional pair of RCA outputs which are fixed output.

They output signal regardless whether you are using either RCA or XLR output from the main outputs.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Fixed output, as in, not volume controlled? Like the old "Tape Out"?

Edited by BioBrian
too much confusion

Hi Brian,

sorry that is not clear. The second set of RCA outputs are variable outputs the same as the main XLR & RCA.

I just ment fixed in that they are not effected by the RCA/XLR switch.

Oh good, as I thought. Thanks for clarifying again, Clay.

So 2 outputs can be used at once: either XLR + RCA, or RCA + RCA, both volume controlled.