Sign in to follow this  
Golliwog

Amp options for Omega / Hoyt Bedfords / sensitive speakers

Hi everyone,
Im possibly about to pick up some Omega or Hoyt Bedford speakers depending on how this week pans out and to say theres a plethora of choices is an understatement. Im a bit lost. These are high efficiency speakers around 93-97db so id say maybe 5+ watts minimum. The builder Louis recommends 7+ is optimal. I listen to lots of acoustic jazz, rock and hip hop but also complex orchestral passages on occasion. My partner listens to quite a bit of pop and deep house as well and since these are going in the lounge I'd say i need to be able to cover the range.

After having a bit of a look around the internet I'm seen a few options. I've read that Omegas prefer push pulls over SET but thats third hand info. I'm looking at the First Watt J2 (if i can find one), the Trafomatic Aries and am interested in Earle Westons amps. Aesthetically they suit the Omegas and he's got a good reputation here but its hard to see where his amps sit by reading through the forums. Are they competitive with Decware? Audio Note? Are they fast enough and tight enough in the bass for modern electronica? I would like to support local and have support i can trust though, that would be a positive.

As for flavour, I prefer treble air / sparkle and an expansive, holographic soundstage about most other descriptors. Clean and musical bass would be a plus and just a touch warmer than neutral suits me. With that being said, I know full rangers aren't known for their treble extension. Thus an audition this week.

But really I don't know what I'm talking about and ill take any and all suggestions. Less than $2000 would be great, happy to buy used. Could stretch to $2500 if it'll change my life.

Hello Alex

I have owned both Omegas and Hoyt Bedfords and used a variety of valve and SS amps with them.  If you have the choice, I think you will find that the Omegas deliver better SQ than the Hoyt Bedfords.

My experience was that they are not as easy to drive as they might appear.   8wpc 300B amps certainly sound pleasant, but given your musical tastes they would probably not be punchy enough.  I would recommend at least 25wpc push-pull valve or SS class A.  F5 clones come up quite regularly on SNA and can be had for around $1000.  The F5 has a relatively low gain and so needs a ballsy preamp with a gain of 20+dB to get it going.  But the sound is divine.  However it needs at least a half-hour's warm-up to sound its best.

I have just taken delivery of a Cymer ST80 (80wpc push-pull).  It is very quiet with a punchy rich sound that would match Omegas/Hoyt Bedfords very well.  As a power amp it is about $2250 delivered, but it can be supplied as an integrated as well. (elson.silva@optusnet.com.au)

You should have quite a choice of amps in your price range.  Why not post a WTB ad and see what comes up?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Vladas
      Item:
      MASTERSOUND INTEGRATED TUBE AMPLIFIER BOX R
      Parallel Single Ended in "Class A" Integrated - Made in Italy

Power: 2 x 35 Watt
      Tubes complement: 2 x ECC802 - 6 x EL34
      Input: 3 line + Phono MM
      Output: 1 line
      Load imped.: 4-8 ohm
      Bandwidth: 18 hz / 25 khz 0 db
      Output Transformer: MastersounD
      Automatic Bias
      Supplied with remote control - R version
      Negative feedback: 0 db
      Dimensions: 43,6 x 40,9 x 18,5 cm
      Weight: 24 Kg
      Made in Italy

Price:  $3000 (RRP - $5200)
      Item Condition: Brand New - still in the box
      Reason for selling: Change of financial situation
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 

Pure Class A  2x35 Watt PSET (Parallel Set) which is used in the very high end tube
      amplifiers like Aries Cerat $30K USD. This gives you uncompromising power to run in pure class A almost any 89+ db speakers.  Lack of power is Achilles weak spot of most tube amplifiers and I believe PSET is the best solution used by the very high end manufacturers. Legendary Mastersound brand - makes PF100 tube amplifier $50K USD. Fabulous musical EL34 tubes. To my knowledge, this model is absolutely the best value for integrated tube amplifier in that price range; made in Italy but priced similarly to comparable Chinese models. Includes very good phono pre-amplifier - same as in the flagship models.  This is Box R version with remote control (cost $330 AUD extra).

Links below shows additional information about The Box and Mastersound brand in general:
      http://www.mastersoundsas.it/1/reviews_4451773.html
      https://soundapproach.com/mastersound-box-r-integrated-amplifier-class-a.html
      https://www.technologyfactory.eu/en/mastersound/integrated-amplifiers/mastersound-box/a-5384-10000401
      https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/axpona-2018-integrated-mastersond-box

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By alexb
      Item: Little Dot Mk II Headphone Amplifier
      Price: $SOLD
      Item Condition: Mint
      Reason for selling: Selling head-fi rig
      Payment Method: Pickup, EFT, Cash, Paypal (buyer pays all transaction fees & postage)
      Extra Info:

Great condition and one of the best value headphone amplifiers available. Australian variant with 220v power supply. Upgraded Value Electronic CV4010 KQDD/K and 6H6 VIII tubes.

The device has a single volume knob on the front along with a blue LED and of course, the 6.3mm port. At the back you can find the input and output RCA pots as well as the power button. The specifications of the amp are as follows:

Input: Gold-Plated Unbalanced Phono (RCA) Jacks Output: 1/4" Gold-Plated Stereo Headphone out Driver Tubes: 6JI Power Tubes: 6N6 Frequency Response: 20HZ - 50KHz (-1dB) THD+N: 0.1% (50mW into 300 ohms) Suitable Headphone Impedance: 32 - 600 ohms Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 10K ohms Power Output: 300mW into 300 ohms 200mW into 120 ohms 100mW into 32 ohms Average Power Usage: 28 watts Dimensions: 210mm (length) by 110mm (width) by 130mm (height) Weight: 2.5 kg or 5.5 lbs.  
      The Little Dot MK II boasts a SEPP (single ended push pull) circuit (in similar vein to the rest of the MK-series tube amplifiers) greatly increases sound quality, dynamic range, output impedance, and harmonic distortion. The Little Dot MK II also provides gain control of 3, 5, and 10 via internal DIP switches for fine-tuning so you can maximize synergy with almost any headphone you have, whether it be 32 ohms or 600.

Some cheap tube amps have what is called a hybrid design, where the power is provided by a transistor based circuit and the driver circuitry is tube based. Examples of these designs are the headphone amps with only a single vacuum tube (the driver tube). Not only does the Little Dot MK II have a fully tube based design (both power and driver elements are tube based) it actually has independent circuitry for the left and right channels.

So essentially, you have 1 power tube and 1 driver tube for the left channel and 1 power tube and 1 driver tube for the right channel. This is called an SEPP design (think of it as 2 + 2 design).

Photos:

• By MooCow
      Item: Audio Note Trans-152 Output Transformers
      Price: 320 for pair
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to c-cores
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: These are genuine Audio Note Trans-152 OPTs that have been in use on an Audio Note 300b SET.  I have upgraded to AN Trans-305 c-cores.

Specs: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/trans152-p-366.html

Replacement cost approx $800.

Can ship in quality packaging.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By sa2013
      Item: Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $870
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:

I had this amp for about 5 years. There are few very small and hardly noticeable scratches on the right side of the top panel (see photos), apart from that it’s in excellent condition, local buyers welcome to have a listen. I have the original box, manual and power cable. Prefer local buyer.

Key Features
      Ken Ishiwata Edition Integrated Amplifier
      2x 70 Watts RMS (8 ohm)
      Full discrete Current Feedback amplifier technology
      Toroidal transformer
      Copper plated chassis 
      Marantz Original HDAM-SA3
      Power Amp Direct mode

Here's one of many reviews for both amp and CD player: https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/marantz-ki-pearl-lite-sacd-and-amp-714688/review

Also for sale Marantz SA-Ki Pearl Lite SACD Player.

Thanks for looking.

Photos: