Power Cables a "blind" test

steve u

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 10:54 AM, scumbag said:

Of course, we could always measure frequency response, clipping power, peak current and noise in the amplifier with each power cord in place. I am not on either side of the fence.. Call me a true agnostic. But surely there must be some measurements that show some change in the amplifier as a result of the different cords.

I'd like to do this one day, but don't have the time. Maybe one day.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, steve u said:

Well, the results. And let me say, I am trying as hard as I can to be at least objective, if not scientific. And I found it bloody hard work.

But first, I learnt a bit from this first foray of only 2 cables and have a question about the process and it has to do with settling time of the cable. The assistant chose to leave the cable in place for one change, but removed it from the CD player and then put it back in. So it was the same cable, but pulled out and pushed back in.

Which is a hint for the results.

Change 1 was the lorad cable and probably should be noted had the longest time in the setup.

Change 2 was the lorad, it was pulled out and put back in again.

Change 3 was the Odin.

I actually wrote more notes about Change 2, than the other 2. I said it seemed a little coagulated or congested and not as resolved as Change 1, even though it was the same cable. And Change 3 with the Odin, I didn't like initially but after 30 minutes, was noting the speed and attack and that it seemed as though the volume had actually increased. But I scored it lower than Change 1, which was the most settled of all the cables.

I am going to hone the testing procedure a bit and try some other cables.

So far I have found out this is a time consuming, tough test and my notes about the same cable change dramatically if compared at the 3 minute and 33 minute marks.

When I did my tests in the following link, the first cable also changed when swapping back to it later. This didn't happen again, and after this first swap, all the cables were consistent.

I believe it was because my system needed to warm up first, I'd give it at least 10 minutes of playing before starting the first test.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...