Headphones / amp advice for novice

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice on starting a head hi setup. 

Budget is $1200 for both. 

These are some of my questions

- brand new or second hand? I feel used would be better, as I can still test the waters and see if I like this whole headphone thing or not. 

- is there any specs that I have to match between the headphones and amp i.e impedance etc

- which should I buy first, the cans or the amp? I am looking at an amp/ dac combo. Less boxes the better 

I would appreciate any recommendations on combos or  even on one you want to sell.

lets consider this an advice /wanted to buy topic. Cheers 

Edited by hellzigha

As you know in hifi you can spend any amount on any component. For phones  $400 to $800 will get you a good pair. I have Senhieser 700s wich are open back and really excellent. I got them the new on eBay. At the $400 mark Beyerdynamic 400 pros (closed back) are excellent. I have both the 250ohm and 32ohm version. I feel the 250ohm version sound better and have softer more natural bands. I build head hone amps so I need both to test different loadings.

I also have audio-Technica AD700 Airs. I feel any of the other two I have suggested may be better. Agin these are around the $400 mark. Buy new, they are cheap enough. I have some portable triode headphone amps ready to go if interested very, very cheap. PM me if interested 

Hi mw,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried searching for beyerdynamic 400 and nothing seems to come up. Have you got a link or a suggestion where I can have a look ? I am interested in your amps. Do you think they would be suitable for a Hifiman 400s, the planar ones? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to sort a few things out first.

Headphones

Open back? There are considered superior by the majority but generally leak the most sound

Close back? More suitable if likely to be listening when other people are around due to less sound leakage

Over Ear? Generally more comfortable, but larger

On Ear? Less bulky, less dorky looking,less comfortable

All these things are relevant irrespective of what brand you choose.

Obviously, depending on your choice, will determine the suitable Amp/DAC combo

I would do as much research as you can before committing to purchase.

You have a good budget so if you choose wisely there is no reason you cannot come up with a very satisfactory set up.

I have visited Addicted To Audio several times to audition many different combinations and I found it to be an excellent way of deciding.

You just cannot beat trying before buying

Obviously this is not an option for people that live out of big cities, so this is not relevant for everyone sadly.

Good luck on your journey

Saxon hall- that sounds like good advice. I think there is a store nearby me that has got a decent range of headphones. I'll head out tomorrow and let you guys know.

rf1963 - never thought of that. Assumed one size fits all.. makes sense.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I dropped by Jaben ( headphone store in Perth. Had a listen to the Audeze LCD 2, just to get a feel of what an open back sounds like. I could consider this even if the budget is stretched a little. 

What caught my eye and ears was the Final audio design Pandora vi- closed back, easy to drive and sounds great. It was about $900. Itself comfortable but a little heavier than the Audeze. In my opinion ,it has a  nice tight bass in comparison with the Audeze. 

All this demo-ed via a Chord Mojo, which  is a very impressive device. I will be getting a Mojo for sure. 

Fortunately , the owner was extremely helpful and was not pushy. We started from the beginning on what I was wanting, what I was used to and what I should expect. Nice experience. 

I still need to have a listen again today. Will update post. Cheers 

• Like 2

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 8:33 AM, hellzigha said:

So I dropped by Jaben ( headphone store in Perth. Had a listen to the Audeze LCD 2, just to get a feel of what an open back sounds like. I could consider this even if the budget is stretched a little.

What caught my eye and ears was the Final audio design Pandora vi- closed back, easy to drive and sounds great. It was about $900. Itself comfortable but a little heavier than the Audeze. In my opinion ,it has a  nice tight bass in comparison with the Audeze.

All this demo-ed via a Chord Mojo, which  is a very impressive device. I will be getting a Mojo for sure.

Fortunately , the owner was extremely helpful and was not pushy. We started from the beginning on what I was wanting, what I was used to and what I should expect. Nice experience.

I still need to have a listen again today. Will update post. Cheers

Did you have a chance to listen to Final Audio Sonorous III cans? Not sure they had them in stock, but around $400 cheaper than the Pandora VI.

A very nice set of closed headphones, and they are very easy to drive too.