adamg

Voice activated streaming using Google Assistant

Anyone using Google Home and Chrome Cast Audio devices for voice activated streaming.

I was gifted a Google Home and bought a CCA to try voice command. THE CCA is hooked up to my DAC via toslink and linked to the Home device. Works well for internet radio (via TuneIn), and supported streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, Google +, Youtube).

More a novelty I guess but gives a glimpse into what is to come. I do like being able to walk into the house after work and just say for example 'Hey Google, play SOMAFM Lush on Main Speakers' and that's it for background music while I settle in after work. Those with Google Assistant on phones can probably do same ? The Home device itself is not bad for background music in the kitchen.

Probably more functional is linking a CC to the TV and using a Home device to launch choose programs from say Netflix without having to scroll through using the TV remote.

589d32bbc5189_images1.jpg.a5f99bf5bfabc348532114f325b1ec7b.jpg

index.jpg.4f50cf9f805e305197cafe11b695d81c.jpg

Edited by adamg

@adamg

You are almost living in the right place, just move a little but south and then you will be in the right part of the right state :).

Yes the Home Automation bit is here, not as many posts as in some other forums, but our own @Marc is right up there. I am slowly getting into it  - on a budget level. Have been looking at the Amazon Echo.

Anyway lots of things happening

Can you get one with Scarlett Johansson's voice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Can you get one with Scarlett Johansson's voice? emoji846.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great movie Raf - that really was a glimpse into the future albeit a semi-distopic one.

At least the Echo responds to Alexa ;) - you couldn't get any less sexy having to refer to the assistant as 'Hey Google'.

Just streaming some U.S. Tv and it seems every second ad is a google home/assistant product. Looks like they are really trying to take amazon out!

I still don't know if I'm 100% sold on home assistants, but every now and then I always think they could be handy... like once or twice a month :D But is that really enough to buy one? Not sure :/ The battle between Home and Echo is interesting, as no clear winner is really evident. Both do more or less the same things for roughly the same price (echo is a bit more expensive), but who do you trust more, Amazon or Google? I wonder if any other major companies are planning to release a home assistant too...

My issue with any cloud based voice activation is if your ISP is down you lose control of your devices, that's why I am opting for a roll your own voice recognition system.

I have had mine for 3 months and the amount of times I have used it in the last 2 months would be zero. I wanted to sell but the missus told me she uses it while I am at work with spotify so its staying. Kodi are going to introduce Google assistant in the latest version so that should be intersting.