Voice activated streaming using Google Assistant

Anyone using Google Home and Chrome Cast Audio devices for voice activated streaming.

I was gifted a Google Home and bought a CCA to try voice command. THE CCA is hooked up to my DAC via toslink and linked to the Home device. Works well for internet radio (via TuneIn), and supported streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, Google +, Youtube).

More a novelty I guess but gives a glimpse into what is to come. I do like being able to walk into the house after work and just say for example 'Hey Google, play SOMAFM Lush on Main Speakers' and that's it for background music while I settle in after work. Those with Google Assistant on phones can probably do same ? The Home device itself is not bad for background music in the kitchen.

Probably more functional is linking a CC to the TV and using a Home device to launch choose programs from say Netflix without having to scroll through using the TV remote.

589d32bbc5189_images1.jpg.a5f99bf5bfabc348532114f325b1ec7b.jpg

index.jpg.4f50cf9f805e305197cafe11b695d81c.jpg

Edited by adamg
  • Like 1

@adamg

You are almost living in the right place, just move a little but south and then you will be in the right part of the right state :).

Yes the Home Automation bit is here, not as many posts as in some other forums, but our own @Marc is right up there. I am slowly getting into it  - on a budget level. Have been looking at the Amazon Echo.

Anyway lots of things happening

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Can you get one with Scarlett Johansson's voice? emoji846.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great movie Raf - that really was a glimpse into the future albeit a semi-distopic one.

At least the Echo responds to Alexa ;) - you couldn't get any less sexy having to refer to the assistant as 'Hey Google'.

• 7 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still don't know if I'm 100% sold on home assistants, but every now and then I always think they could be handy... like once or twice a month :D But is that really enough to buy one? Not sure :/ The battle between Home and Echo is interesting, as no clear winner is really evident. Both do more or less the same things for roughly the same price (echo is a bit more expensive), but who do you trust more, Amazon or Google? I wonder if any other major companies are planning to release a home assistant too...

I have had mine for 3 months and the amount of times I have used it in the last 2 months would be zero. I wanted to sell but the missus told me she uses it while I am at work with spotify so its staying. Kodi are going to introduce Google assistant in the latest version so that should be intersting.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the google home mini and it's great for setting a timer when you put something in the oven, don't have to fiddle with  the oven timer. I use it with my harmony switching on a activity and also great for playing music on youtube

Edited by Lynne Mangold

I am utterly bemused why anyone would want to devastate what little privacy we still have by allowing one of these devices into our homes to monitor everything we do

and I don't want or need Google or anyone else to know I am going to a movie or the doctor. Heck, I can even turn on my lights or my stereo system all by myself.

Amazing but true :)

I also acknowledge that these matters are not an issue with many people, so good luck to you all as this isn't intended to deny anyone their own choice

• Like 1

I am utterly bemused why anyone would want to devastate what little privacy we still have by allowing one of these devices into our homes to monitor everything we do
 and I don't want or need Google or anyone else to know I am going to a movie or the doctor. Heck, I can even turn on my lights or my stereo system all by myself.
Amazing but true [emoji4]

I also acknowledge that these matters are not an issue with many people, so good luck to you all as this isn't intended to deny anyone their own choice

I read a while back, that the boss person of a large company said "Privacy is overrated". It may have been Facebook or Google or Amazon. It seems that gathering huge amounts of data about people is very lucrative and the more detailed, specific and up to date it is, the more lucrative. Anyway this is just an observation from a 60 year old man who use to muck around with Crystal Sets, so make of it what you will.
  • Like 1

Data mining is the new gold or diamonds and people are willingly convincing themselves to give these people access to every moment of their lives in return for appointment reminders or lighting activation

Amazing.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2017 at 12:06 PM, rantan said:

Amazing but true :)

Hence my comment about writing my own voice activation software. Not ready to sleep with devil just yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a google home mini for Christmas. Finally installed it yesterday which was pretty painless tho can't get Spotify or google music to work yet.

sounds wise it seems good for what it is , listening to Buddha radio now and the sound is fine for background. 

Said id good morning to it this morning, without prompting gave me the local weather and news. 

Cant get get it to swear tho ?