How much to invest in a turntable to get as good as digital?

Little update, have added vibrapods and cones between anti-vibration mat and TT, and again non-negligible improvement. Have tried then removing the mat, and noticeably less good. Also added spikes to speakers and again, nice gain in definition (although not as much as the rest). Now waiting for cork/rubber mats, as cork had made a big difference when trying them with [mention=152056]Runaway[/mention].
Also tried with and without lid, slightly better without I think but not sure (and biased, given how much prettier it looked without [emoji6] ). TBC

Mmmm, just bought 8x vibrapods and vibrapod cones for my turntable + phono stage..... Hopefully I get a similar improvement ;)

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, alpha33 said:

Yes, amazingly different, now trying different combinations; where to place them (plinth or feet, just pods, etc). I see the brand recommends using an 13mm MDF sheet between pods and TT's feet (http://www.vibrapod.com/isolatorinstallation.htm). Will try that I think as well :)

honestly if can do the rega wall shelf it is THE way to go

id do it myself...and have plans to do at some stage just need to get around to. really is well worth it. 

no1 though I would without even a shudder of doubt relocate the TT from away from your side firing speakers.... doesnt make a lot of sense wiht the TT in the front t=stage let alone right next to a side firing driver going right at it :)

regardless have you had a chance to check in with brett. take tt in at all.. his advice will be free and can hear for yourself on another system in the store how it should sound :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alpha33 said:

Yes, but renting so... cannot drill into the wall :/

a solid rack would help to I used to use cheap ikea shelf when I use rega p3 definitely can hear the difference when changing it to a solid and heavy rack and it's a noticeable difference. Luckily I got the rack for $100 in gumtree so definitely worth looking for a decent used hifi rack

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I am no TT expert but my suggestion is first make sure it is set up properly (eg cartridge is aligned, angles correct, TT level etc) before you spend another dollar. 

unlike digital, these things can make a big difference 

I'd agree but if it has the elys it should be a factory fitted job..Also no VTA on rega arms/tables

I'd be recommending a better cartridge and looking at the phono stage as Andyr has suggested... 

Can you get an A>B Comparison with the REGA's at your dealer with say the factory cart and have them fit a nice 2M ortofon or something so you can hear the different cartridges that way? If you were local I'd loan you my Sumiko BPS.. They are a nice budget "detailed" cartridge if a little bright

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

Can you get an A>B Comparison with the REGA's at your dealer with say the factory cart and have them fit a nice 2M ortofon or something so you can hear the different cartridges that way? If you were local I'd loan you my Sumiko BPS.. They are a nice budget "detailed" cartridge if a little bright

I have to admit the 2M red/blue and OM10 I had before gave a very clear and bright sound on different setups.  Very CD like :D

YMMV 

I'm a big fan of ortofon but will have my eyes set a little higher when I can afford to step up from the Sumiko. 

Another point, have you bumped the cantilever at all? A damaged suspension can cause all sorts of bad sound issues..

I have to admit the 2M red/blue and OM10 I had before gave a very clear and bright sound on different setups.  Very CD like [emoji3]

YMMV 

A Pickering XSV3000 + Jico shibata stylus will destroy those carts and at a fraction of the cost. Ditto a JVC/Victor Z1-S cartridge with Jico shibata stylus. You'll need to go up to the 2M Bronze before it comes close [emoji6]

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 8:46 PM, andyr said:

Indeed you should, Murray.  But bcoz you haven't bothered to get your T-1Ds working ... I suspect you won't hear any difference (with your current speakers)!  :P

Haha - good one, Rf!  :thumb:

Just get yourself a taser ... sit on the couch / chair when listening ... and wait for the cats to arrive.  :D  One short taser and that cat will never repeat the experience.  :party  So you only have to go to that trouble, thrice.  :D

Andy

No need for a taser, just one of those anti-static guns will do.

Don't know why but my cat is terrified of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MattyW said:

A Pickering XSV3000 + Jico shibata stylus will destroy those carts and at a fraction of the cost. Ditto a JVC/Victor Z1-S cartridge with Jico shibata stylus. You'll need to go up to the 2M Bronze before it comes close emoji6.png

Not sure if the pickering is a fraction of the costs.... but the om10 at $50 is pretty cheap to try :)

Not sure if the pickering is a fraction of the costs.... but the om10 at $50 is pretty cheap to try [emoji4]

Ah, I missed the OM10.... My eyes just picked out the 2M Red/Blue. The OM series are fantastic value for money for a recent, readily available cart.

23 hours ago, MattyW said:

A Pickering XSV3000 + Jico shibata stylus will destroy those carts and at a fraction of the cost. Ditto a JVC/Victor Z1-S cartridge with Jico shibata stylus. You'll need to go up to the 2M Bronze before it comes close emoji6.png

Maybe another cart for my wishlist:D. I have heard/read many good things about the XSV3000. I see LPGear have a VividLine D3000 replacement stylus available for this cart @ $US79. The VL styli are supposed to be pretty damn good. Anyone had any experience with these? I plan to get a VL for my Shure M97xE eventually, after some other items get ticked off the list first!!:)

Edited by stevoz

Maybe another cart for my wishlist[emoji3]. I have heard/read many good things about the XSV3000. I see LPGear have a VividLine D3000 replacement stylus available for this cart @ $US79. The VL styli are supposed to be pretty damn good. Anyone had any experience with these? I plan to get a VL for my Shure M97xE eventually, after some other items get ticked off the list first!![emoji4]

Yes I've an LPGear PICSD3000 on my Pickering XSV3000, and an LPGear PICKXLV7500MK2S on my Stanton 785LZE. If you'd like to hear how they sound I've samples on my Dropbox right now recorded yesterday afternoon :)

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 0:01 PM, Gremrock said:

And have you got scales to test tracking weight? Lightening that will increase top end detail.. But you want to make sure you can get it accurate or you may well just make the situation worse

Had one with Mun, but ordered my own now. How much lighter would you get?

Unfortunately, cannot get anything demo-ed at my reseller any more - seems like they're not interested in demo-ing under $10k anymore!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Yes I've an LPGear PICSD3000 on my Pickering XSV3000, and an LPGear PICKXLV7500MK2S on my Stanton 785LZE. If you'd like to hear how they sound I've samples on my Dropbox right now recorded yesterday afternoon :)

I now have the same track recorded with 12 cartridges; How amazing is that?!! :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alpha33 said:

Actually, subsidiary question: how to you accurately set the bias? It seems that sound gets a bit better with a lighter setting but I don't know how to get it fully right.

Very good question, Franz.  By ear, finally - but I generally start off with the HFNRR Test Record.

Read the late, great Allen Wright's white paper on cart setup, here:  http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf

Andy

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very good question, Franz.  By ear, finally - but I generally start off with the HFNRR Test Record.

Read the late, great Allen Wright's white paper on cart setup, here:  http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf

Andy

Hi @andyr,

Thank you so much for the link; very useful. Actually, you know, Regas have a 3rd screw so that adjustment is very limited. I however feel that the setting is not quite right; looking from the top I feel that there should be a 0.5mm difference, but I cannot do it with the 3rd screw. Do you know if people have "let go" of Rega's third screw?

I think by biasing he means weight adjustment? I'd only attempt it with scales, and adjust accurately in increments until you find the best sound.. I'm not familiar with how much pressure the Elys wants, but if its set up wrong, it won't sound much good.

@MattyW So very interesting listening session this Sunday! I think my favorite, blind of any other review (and with all possible things in the way - DAC, speakers, etc), is the Hana EL for it's large soundstage, detail and timber of the sax! Very informative recordings; should make a post about it to share with others! Again many many many thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I think by biasing he means weight adjustment? I'd only attempt it with scales, and adjust accurately in increments until you find the best sound.. I'm not familiar with how much pressure the Elys wants, but if its set up wrong, it won't sound much good.

By bias I meant antiskating

• Like 1