WTB: balanced Pre Amp FOUND

Astronutter

Item: Balanced Pre Amp
Price Range: 1500 ish
Item Condition: Excellent used condition 
Extra Info: I currently have a Classe Thirty (SS). I would like to upgrade to a pre amp with better definition of leading edge transients and more "air". Must have at least one balanced input and balanced outputs.  Prefer solid state. MM stage would be an advantage but not mandatory.  

All suggestions welcome 

must be willing to ship to Bathurst NSW 2795

Edited by Astronutter

Will be advertising (hopefully) today - here and on eBay - Electrocompaniet EC-4,7.

Remotely controlled, box, manual top condition.

Bit outside your budget though. I was thinking of asking around $2,5k with a minimum of $2,1-2,2k.

Was getting it for myself but now got overcommitted with other purchases.

Also have EC-3A with MM input but it still needs servicing as there is an occasional hum in left channel.

I have ordered 46 Nichicon audio grade caps to completely re-cap it, but it is still a fortnight away.

2 hours ago, Astronutter said:

Item: Balanced Pre Amp
Price Range: 1500 ish
Item Condition: Excellent used condition 
Extra Info: I currently have a Classe Thirty (SS). I would like to upgrade to a pre amp with better definition of leading edge transients and more "air". Must have at least one balanced input and balanced outputs.  Prefer solid state. MM stage would be an advantage but not mandatory.  

All suggestions welcome 

must be willing to ship to Bathurst NSW 2795

http://schiit.com/products/freya ?

Thank you for the suggestion, I've had a look at some of the online commentary and I suspect it will really appeal to tube rollers.  Noise with the supplied tubes seems to be a problem with some (but not all units). I stopped using tube gear (ARC, AI etc) a long time ago, not sure if I want to go back.

best

lars

2 minutes ago, Astronutter said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I've had a look at some of the online commentary and I suspect it will really appeal to tube rollers.  Noise with the supplied tubes seems to be a problem with some (but not all units). I stopped using tube gear (ARC, AI etc) a long time ago, not sure if I want to go back.

best

lars

Granted it can use tube. Did you check out the FAQ section?

Quote:

Well, hell, this thing is tubes, and I don’t want tubes!

That’s cool. Go ahead and use the passive mode or the JFET buffer mode instead. No scary tubes there!

Still, is only a suggestion. Best of luck in your search. :)

Hi

i did read that, but again in some of the online content I read, it suggested that when using the jfet buffer there was still audible noise (not really sure how widespread or significant that problem is).  The Freya also seems very sensitive to Many kinds of electrical noise.

I just want to be able to turn the pre-amp on and listen to my music without worrying about tube noise, microphonics and sensitivity to noisy electrical circuits.

just to be clear, I have owned Schitt gear in the past and hold it in high regard, the Freya is just not a good match to my requirements.

best

lars

Edited by Astronutter