Stero left and right

Hello Friends

I seem to have a problem, regarding left and right, balance!!

It seems to me, that the, left speaker, has more bass and impact, only just!!, but enough, to ask, why the bass and slam seems to be coming from the right speaker??

My gear is bellow

1. Once Analog, Turntable, with the the "wand Tonearm", from New Zealand, I have tried many times, to correct, VTA, SRA, etc, on the wand you can dial the counter weight, left, and right, but the dial is right of center, witch, makes the dial, not flushed, more to the right, which makes the dial, off balance, I have done everything, I can get close, but not enough, to be perfect !!, do you think I should, get my ears flushed, I had this done last year, but did not have a audio gear, to test!!, My audio gear is below

1. Once Analog Turntable, with a Zu/Dennon 103 cartridge!!

2 . Vacuum Tube, JLTI solid state phono stage, with different RCA loading, I'm running 200ohms, that is recommended, from ZU, on some recordings I find it a bit harsh, but not all recordings!!

3. Weston Accoustics Topaz integrated amp, running EL 35 Tubes

4. Zu Soul MK11, Speakers, which are great!!

Can some one tell me, why I have a slight harsh sound, with more sound (Bass) coming from the right speaker??

A few years ago I had a different sound system,

1. Well Tempered TT

2. Tube preamp, made by a expert, based, on Allen Wright design

3. Bedini Power amp

4. Shinninian arc speakers

But had he same promblem, the right speaker, does most of the work!!

Friends

What is your thoughts??

Regards

David

Some comments, suggestions and questions:

1) Rule out the phono. Is the problem present when using a digital source? If you don't have one, borrow one. 

2) Rule out the power amp. Swap the input and output leads, such that left is now right and right is now left.

3) Rule out the speakers. Swap the speakers over.

Let us know what you find. 

My best guess (in approximate order of likelihood):

1) Stylus is damaged.

2) Cartridge has been poorly aligned.

3) Speaker/room interaction requires attention.

4) Phono preamp is faulty.

5) Power amp is faulty. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

Er, many, many non-acoustic recordings have bass situated slightly to the left of centre. For years I also wondered why the left speaker seemed to have more bottom on pop, rock, funk etc recordings. My amp has a facility to play in centre the left or right channels individually. Very often the left channel information is far bassier than the right.

Do you get the same problem with classical orchestral music (where low strings are most often placed to the right)? Blue Note records from the '60s are also a useful comparison, as Van Gelder most often recorded upright bass very slightly to the right of middle.

Another thing to consider are the contacts of your interconnects. Twice over the years I had the problem where I had to jiggle or twist one of the cables to restore the full signal. I'd still say the mostly likely explanation is an acoustic anomaly in your room, assuming your cartridge is set up properly and speakers are well positioned.

Edited by goldiver
  • Like 1

Thanks Friends

For your informative incite, after reading my post, that I sent, I think I might be over reaction??, I have testered all the above, the problem is, I think too critical, I played a well reordered album, sure enough, as someone posted, the way things are recordered, the bass and kick drums, seem to be coming from right speaker(facing towards), the whole above is only noticed, when I'm sitting on the "sweet spot" on my lounge, but when I tilt my head a bit, to the right, the balance seems to improve!!. also when I stand up from my sweet spot, it seems the balance, again improves, from right to left, I now have been sucked into not playing, a record for enjoyment, but to play to see if the channels are equal!! not good!!

I think getting my hearing tested, would be a good start!!, but what I can't explane, is when I stand upright from my sweet spot, all seems OK

Your Thoughs

Regards

David

P>S sorry about the Typos, I just cant spell!!

I had a two year battle with my system with a slight imbalance with my 805d2's, even swapping speakers, amps etc didn't fix it. Got used to it after awhile. So I put it down to the room. Then the D3's came along and there's now no problem. 

Hello Sorry

EL34

Thanks David

Hello Friend

I'm new to this!!, are you the one, that it maybe, on modern recordings??

The most sound comes from the right, speaker, that's facing, the spekers, towards them, re speakers, re right, facing them, with my right hand, the left speakers, are left, facing them

Hoping for a Dial, to balance speakers

Many Thanks

David

Hi David

Try swapping you speaker cables from left to right at the rear of the amp. If the unbalance stays in the same channel, then the issue will be with your speakers or room.

If the unbalance changes with the cable swap, then the issue is with your electronics, somewhere.

Cheers, Earle.

• Like 1