Sign in to follow this  
caddisgeek

AFL 2017 & 2018 - In memory of Nude

Congratulations to the WCE. Once again the Pies faded when it count; if they were able to maintained that initial intensity it might be a different result.

16 minutes ago, LHC said:

Congratulations to the WCE. Once again the Pies faded when it count; if they were able to maintained that initial intensity it might be a different result.

Exactly.  If WCE fronted a team of quality, then they would have been the bridesmaids again.  No-one can believe Collingwood made the GF, take from that what you will.  The prelims against Melbourne was a joke, the Dees choked before the ball was bounced.

Anyway, a hallow victory is a victory none-the-less...

16 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Soft draw...Soft team...

Yes it may seem hard to believe that a team of under achievers managed to show up the best of the rest of the AFL. 😎

I even had doubts and I only have one eye.

They did it by playing as a team with even Norm Smith medallist Luke Shuey only playing marginally better than the others.

Both teams played very well.Collingwod supporters can be very proud of their team"s achievements this year.Nobody expected them to do so well.

On the day and throughout the year West Coast did play better than them so were deserving winners.

We also need to be mindful that winning a grand final is no easy task for a non-Victorian team.Well done West Coast.

They showed great determination to come back after being so far behind in the first quarter.

38 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Exactly.  If WCE fronted a team of quality, then they would have been the bridesmaids again.  No-one can believe Collingwood made the GF, take from that what you will.  The prelims against Melbourne was a joke, the Dees choked before the ball was bounced.

Maybe only you, sounds like you barrack for Richmond.

Was a good game can't see how either was not deserving to be there.

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Absolutely typical of the way West Coast have been rated all year in Melbourne.

Not one expert put us in the eight pre-season. Robert Walls predicted the wooden spoon. Every panelist on last Sunday’s footy show tipped Collingwood, as did every panelist pre-game today. The bookies had them as warm favourites.

Collingwood were high quality. Look what they did to Richmond last week.

They were great again today. They just got beaten by the team that finished above them on the ladder. A team that had already beaten them twice this season. A team that played for each other, flew under the radar all year and will fly home tonight with the premiership cup.

I'm not sure that final kick to Dom Sheed should be paid; but he managed to kick the winning goal on the MCG, from that difficult angle, and under immense pressure. WCE deserves to be champion based on that kick. 

We were beaten by the better team on the day. Sure the Pies got a red-hot start, similar to last week against the Tiggers but the difference was WCE's defensive midfield. After half time, and particularly in the last 15 minutes, we simply struggled to get it into our attacking half when we needed it most. Shuey was a gun, while Sidebottom went missing.

Good umpiring, too. Sure they let it play a lot and there were plenty of 50/50 calls but it was consistent for both teams across the whole match.

Both teams did FAR better than anyone expected them to this season.

@wolster.....mods...... I asked for this thread to be blocked....help me out..... :lol:

13 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Well, that was the game Collingwood lost.  Unfortunately the cup goes west, but it's only temporary until it returns to the home of football I'd suspect. 

West Coast, well lucky you played the pies, to be honest.  Luck fortunes the brave, or the lucky...

Reads a bit like a sore losers post. Don’t take anything away from the Eagles, the better team won. Brave, lucky, better. :)

What a great great grand final. Especially those last two quarters. Goal for goal in the 3rd, and West Coast inching their way to the lead after Collingwood kicked away early in the 4th.

10 hours ago, Mendes said:

@wolster.....mods...... I asked for this thread to be blocked....help me out..... :lol:

Sorry, Steve. I’m having too much fun 😋

10 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

We were beaten by the better team on the day. Sure the Pies got a red-hot start, similar to last week against the Tiggers but the difference was WCE's defensive midfield. After half time, and particularly in the last 15 minutes, we simply struggled to get it into our attacking half when we needed it most. Shuey was a gun, while Sidebottom went missing.

Good umpiring, too. Sure they let it play a lot and there were plenty of 50/50 calls but it was consistent for both teams across the whole match.

Both teams did FAR better than anyone expected them to this season.

Great post mate. I think the umpires did a great job in letting play on , definitely made the game more exciting. A bit hair raising sometimes but I think you are right it was 50-50. Going by the first quarter the eagles didn’t deserve to win, but they chipped away and the defence was amazing. A game to remember.

We watched it at Optus stadium with 5000 WCE fans. Many of which drive me nuts, I can’t stand the booing they give to other teams and I can’t understand how you can be so one eyed with the umpiring calls. You can be a passionate fan without being a deck. But the atmosphere was great.

The Pies played very well, they should be proud.

We just played a little better. 😉

Yes it was a great game and being the GF made it better.

But I felt somewhat weird that I couldn’t watch the game like I normally would.

That is I had no real emotional tie or connection with either team. 

For me it was to be be an massive interstate battle. But my gladiators  to be were Collingwood, how could that be?

i think I was left emotionally numb.

But I  watched the game with not much stake in the outcome,though it was good to be able to appreciate the good plays from either team when they shone.