I Feel Like a Traitor.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Sime said:

No, because I've heard 800d3's running full range and I like the "kind" of bass subs do compared. It's about a tone not output. 

But I'm aware it's all relative in different environments. 

That's very convenient in your space as well!

I wonder if you would find that the same with all of the different types of full range speaker?

I spent some time listening to different types of big speakers and was considering the same approach, because I couldn't find the right thing - I was convinced by Osborns in about five seconds. I think it has a lot to do with crossover points and types: the Osborns had the lowest crossover of all the speakers I tried.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
14 minutes ago, Super Mustud said:

Short out the tone control wiring and then you can play with it as much as you like. You can then also play games with it during gtg time. Heaps of fun.

Or rewire them so they do different things, especially if you have balance as well. Let someone else turn them who is in on the gag.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, Eggcup The Daft said:

Do what you want with your tone controls. Just remember that these days, the people who will complain about your tone controls are probably just calling theirs "digital room calibration", "parametric equalizers" and such.

But before you get carried away with @Grumpy and his organised system, take a quick peek at those knots of cable behind it...

Spot on!

3 hours ago, B3lly said:

maybe grumpy should get a graphic equaliser....

Had one many many years ago , drove me bonkers fiddling with it all the time.

No! l will keep the pre amps tone controls switched off, its all so much easier

16 hours ago, B3lly said:

maybe grumpy should get a graphic equaliser....

I still have mine which I purchased in US back in 1986 and it is still working like a clock.

2 x 12 channels, not using it though, may be I should just put it some where in the rack just for the look of it, had beautiful led displays but most probably would not pass WAF test :(:P

Edited by ufo

12 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Had one many many years ago , drove me bonkers fiddling with it all the time.

No! l will keep the pre amps tone controls switched off, its all so much easier

Yep, doing it just by ear is like pissing/shooting in the dark. 

Don't take that tone with me !

Nope.....that's all I got. 

On the tone button issue, on my receiver ( attached to my two channel) not only is source direct way cleaner, the receiver is also unplugged from the rest of the system when not in use.

Many corners can be cut in life, but not with the hi-fi.

(Probably atonement for something or other)

Edited by Briz Vegas

This lack of tone/balance controls on most amps only perpetuates the myth that all recordings are created equal and have the same tonal/frequency range. There are some recordings that are virtually unlistenable unless they are massaged with a bit of tone control. At the end of the day who cares so long as YOU are enjoying the sound your equipment makes.

Mike

• Like 5

Although I retain an open mind on these sorts of subjects (never say never!) I've never (oops!) heard a tone control that doesn't ruin the transparency of the sound. Sure, on occasion there's a recording that I find unlistenable - although there are multiple reasons for badly recorded/mastered discs not limited to mere bass or treble anomolies. Anyway, in such cases I'll look for a better mastered version. 

Balance controls, on the other hand, are essential IMO, and they don't interfere with the sound quality on any perceptible level if implemented well.

• 2 weeks later...

My two top systems sound fantastic with no tone control.... The one I have in the shed with the old Pioneer CS-88A speakers sound fantastic with a slight boost to bass and treble. That is my most basic and least refined system though. It's had pretty much zero time and effort spent on it..... It is in a big metal shed after all. An echo chamber

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised to see DSP EQ (just fancy tone controls) like Dirac in most high end and even many low and mid range 2ch amps in years to come.

One has to be pretty lucky to manage to find a set of speakers with a bass contour that just happens to match the listening room and speaker position.

• Like 1

If it doesn't have tone controls you cannot be tempted. Who are you to decide what it is "supposed to sound like"? Sit down, shut up and listen to what you are supposed to hear.
Ive always considered the likes of Naim to be among the most indignant of companies when it comes to their patrons "interfering" with their hard work. Like a jealous girlfriend berating her boyfriend for looking at another woman. "I should be enough". I have at times amused myself creating ads for them in my head (I had a fairly boring job for a time).

Along the lines -

"The Naim Splenetic Reference Amplifier does not only eschew the tone controls of the unwashed but also any form of external attenuation. Displaying no controls whatsoever to avoid unlettered interference, the output level is factory set at the optimum level, pre-determined for the listener, to ensure music is conveyed with ultimate faithfulness to the source. The result being the listener is subjected to the sound pressure levels associated with the exposure to live (UN-AMPLIFIED) music.
In keeping with the ascetic minimalism the power switch has been foregone as it not only interferes with the delicately designed signal path but it is the expectation of the designers that the listener, having acceded to the sound levels predetermined by our engineers, will have no need to remove any of the signal at all.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The tone control in my stock car system needs Bass at -3 for pretty much everything. And I like my bass. This thing sounds like it has 3 15" woofers in the dashboard, ridiculously boomy. I wonder what music/ears were being used to tune that system??

6 hours ago, carlcip said:

The tone control in my stock car system needs Bass at -3 for pretty much everything. And I like my bass. This thing sounds like it has 3 15" woofers in the dashboard, ridiculously boomy. I wonder what music/ears were being used to tune that system??

Car systems.... I ended up installing two 6" JLs in the rear parcel shelf where the factory "subs" were and powering them with a 1000W JL amp. It is a bit terrifying because they are only rated to 150W but so far so good. It is actually "good" bass considering its in a car. Not "ridiculously boomy" mercifully.

I saw the cap on eBay and couldn't help myself. Don't judge me.

IMAG1449.jpg