NBN wifi routers

Hi all,

I currently have a TP Link archer d7 wifi router that I'm very happy with but my area now has nbn fibre from the exchange to the node then copper to my house. My connection will be through phone line. The archer only does FTTP through eithernet for nbn.

So, looks like I'll have to upgrade the D7.

What do you recommend?

Alot of great reviews on the TP Link VR600 or is there any other recommendations?

ed976c81e76bdd8c2d5abbb740781313.jpg

One option is to keep you TP link and get a basic NBN compatible modem.

The modem connects to the NBN connection box and connects to your TP router with ethernet, keeping all your settings etc.

In this configuration you would have to ensure that the DCHP service in the modem is turned off, as the TP link would continue to perform that function

Just a thought.

RalphH

Edited by Ralph

One option is to keep you TP link and get a basic NBN compatible modem.
The modem connects to the NBN connection box and connects to your TP router with ethernet, keeping all your settings etc.
In this configuration you would have to ensure that the DCHP service in the modem is turned off, as the TP link would continue to perform that function

Just a thought.

RalphH

Whats a good brand and model modem?

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

I'll have a look today, but my initial thought is cheap, low featured, known brand. 

Put it and your TP link on a UPS, and your bases are covered.

Ralph

$30 - bridge it to your TP Link like I did when I had it configured in that arrangement.

19 minutes ago, Juicester said:

$30 - bridge it to your TP Link like I did when I had it configured in that arrangement.

My IP provider provides this modem so it will work if I bridge it to the TP link. A lot of comments about the NF10WV wireless range not being that great and has issues running multiple devices at one which the TP link will fix.

Edited by Sansui77

My IP provider provides this modem so it will work if I bridge it to the TP link. A lot of comments about the NF10WV wireless range not being that great and has issues running multiple devices at one which the TP link will fix.

Basically the last part. 

On the NF10WV, turn off wireless and DHCP Service, so that all it has to do is connect to NBN and pass the data to the TPLink.

$30 bucks is a bargain (and local to you)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Basically the last part. 

On the NF10WV, turn off wireless and DHCP Service, so that all it has to do is connect to NBN and pass the data to the TPLink.

Most carriers only supply their own modem - routers as they have to be compliant with the nbn as I'm told even though the TP Link VR600 works well.

Here are a list of compliant modem - routers that have been tested.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

Looks like I'll get that crappy Netcomm from my IP provider and use it just for nbn and bridge to the TP Link.

Cheers guys... thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Edited by Sansui77

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Basically the last part. 

1 hour ago, Juicester said:

saves him being locked into a contract just to get a $130 modem too.

Poor wifi on the netcomm irrelevant if you use your TP Link :)

Just other question, 

How to connect between the two units?

The NF10WV only has 10/100 Ethernet LAN ports but aren't used as I will be using the gigabit ports on the TP link for nas etc? Will I have any speed issues?

Edited by Sansui77

2 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

Just other question, 

How to connect between the two units?

The NF10WV only has 10/100 Ethernet LAN ports but aren't used as I will be using the gigabit ports on the TP link for nas etc? Will I have any speed issues?

Connect a NF10WV ethernet out to one of the ethernet ports on the TPLink. Lower speeds are compatible on a gigabit port.

This port would only be for internet traffic and would not affect any other port. 

The cable speed of 100Mbs is way more that what the NBN can provide.

Just now, Ralph said:

Connect a NF10WV ethernet out to one of the ethernet ports on the TPLink. Lower speeds are compatible on a gigabit port.

This port would only be for internet traffic and would not affect any other port. 

The cable speed of 100Mbs is way more that what the NBN can provide.

-this; although I had to connect to the wan or 'internet' port, on my own router.

@juicester

Why you selling your modem?

I just want the best outcome when it comes to upgrading from adsl2+ to nbn even if it means to just upgrade the modem router.

Any recommended IP carriers? I'm currently with Spintel.

Edited by Sansui77

6 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Most carriers only supply their own modem - routers

Sorry, but in my humble experience they only supply crap - I never get my routers/modems from the ISP.

Long story short for my FTTH network my ISP supplied a Netcomm router and I had incessant issues (internet drop-outs every 30 seconds!).  I went through 3 brand new Netcomm routers direct from the ISP, which was the best unit recommended by them for the service they were supplying.  In the end I walked in to a computer store, told them my tale of woe, and they sold me this -

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png.jpg

Asus RT-AC68U router - not even on the "compatible" list from my ISP.  It's been seemless since day one, AC wireless absolutely flies and I've never looked back.  Fast internet both wired and wireless.  Previously on ADSL 2 I've only ever received crap modems/routers from ISP's - my advice -

• Get AC wireless, all devices (even non-AC) will perform faster;
  • Go in to a computer store and speak to them, then listen to what they advise will suit your needs.  I spent $240 on my router 4.5 years ago and my network still flies - it's an investment.

Edited by Kaynin

Sorry, but in my humble experience they only supply crap - I never get my routers/modems from the ISP.

Long story short for my FTTH network my ISP supplied a Netcomm router and I had incessant issues (internet drop-outs every 30 seconds!).  I went through 3 brand new Netcomm routers direct from the ISP, which was the best unit recommended by them for the service they were supplying.  In the end I walked in to a computer store, told them my tale of woe, and they sold me this -

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png.jpg

Asus RT-AC68U router - not even on the "compatible" list from my ISP.  It's been seemless since day one, AC wireless absolutely flies and I've never looked back.  Fast internet both wired and wireless.  Previously on ADSL 2 I've only ever received crap modems/routers from ISP's - my advice -

• Get AC wireless, all devices (even non-AC) will perform faster;
  • Go in to a computer store and speak to them, then listen to what they advise will suit your needs.  I spent $240 on my router 4.5 years ago and my network still flies - it's an investment.

I fully understand what you are saying and thats why I'm trying not to go that path getting a shitty wifi router/modem through the IP provider. The TP Link VR600 or VR900 have great reviews and if its anything like my D7 with better incoming speed then i will be a happy camper.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Hi all, I had the NBN when I was in Tassie last year. I just used my Airport Extreme router and it was awesome.

I saw mentions of NBN modems here but from memory you only need a router right? The NBN box installed in your house is essentially a modem? So you only need to add a router (for WiFi) or even just a network switch if you don't need WiFi.

Have I got this right? I remember being confused by mentions of NBN modems before so wanted to help clear that up here for others. Unless I'm completely wrong.

Cheers

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Em84 said:

...I saw mentions of NBN modems here but from memory you only need a router right? The NBN box installed in your house is essentially a modem? So you only need to add a router (for WiFi) or even just a network switch if you don't need WiFi.

Have I got this right?

Sort of...

The modem makes your connection to the outside world, which is the internet service you pay your ISP for (the WAN). The modem holds your public IP, which is assigned to it by the ISP as your address on the internet. The router connects to the modem, and it makes sure the traffic from the outside world gets directed to where it needs to go on the inside world (the LAN, your home). The outside world doesn't know anything about the inside world of your home network, it doesn't need to because the router looks after this. The DHCP server in the router assigns the LAN addresses to all the network devices in your home, or you have the option to choose those addresses manually. So you have a WAN IP, which is your public address on the network, which you have no control over. And there is the LAN IP, which you can configure in the router to be whatever you want it to be (within permissible parameters). The LAN can be divided up into subnets, to segment the traffic on the network, but this isn't usually necessary in small home networks.

Quite often the router and the modem are the same piece of hardware, and if they are, sometimes, if the design supports this, you can disable the router part and only use the modem part. This is called bridged mode. There isn't usually much performance difference between different modems, so the modem provided by your ISP should be OK for your requirement. The router/modem box supplied by your ISP will usually also have built into it a wireless access point. Whilst the modem part of the device should be sufficient for your requirements, the router part and access point part are usually very under-done. You can buy discrete devices that are router only, and access point only. These perform much better than the ISP supplied combination do everything box.

The network switch allows you to connect multiple devices in your home to the router, which then connects them to the outside world via the modem. Most routers will also provide a switching function, and these are called LAN ports. If you have more devices to connect than the router supports, you connect a network switch to the router, much like using a power board to connect multiple devices to the same power point.

To summarize, to get the best networking performance. Your ISP supplied modem is OK, operate it in bridged mode. Buy a dedicated router ($400-$2000 price range), connect its WAN port to the modem. Buy an access point and connect it to your router ($200-$2000 price range). If you need to connect more devices to the network than the LAN ports available on the router, buy a network switch ($100-$3000 price range) and connect it to a LAN port of the router.

Routers are available that can send your LAN traffic out to the WAN at 900 Mbps, but the factor limiting the actual speed is your ISP plan. Your NBN connection might only be 10 Mbps, or 20 Mbps if you're lucky, or 100 Mbps if you're rich and really lucky. AC wireless speeds, and gigabit switches etc, don't get you connected to the outside world any faster at all. I would use an enterprise class 10/100 switch over a consumer grade gigabit switch any day. I would also use a wireless-N enterprise class access point over a consumer grade AC access point any day. AC and gigabit is not the whole story for optimal networking performance.

Edited by WhakPak
  • Like 2

I thought with nbn you only need a router as the modem will be installed by technicians from telstra or nbn to a wall inside of the house. They will wire the fibre cable from the outside box to the inside box (modem). Well, at least that's how it is at our place :)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

You need a modem, and this is likely supplied by the ISP. As I said earlier, this modem might also do the 4 basic functions of modem/router/access point/switch.

Are you referring to the ONT as the modem?

27 minutes ago, DMax said:

I thought with nbn you only need a router as the modem will be installed by technicians from telstra or nbn to a wall inside of the house. They will wire the fibre cable from the outside box to the inside box (modem). Well, at least that's how it is at our place :)

Yep, me too, no need to buy a modem or router/modem whatsoever.  The modem comes installed.

1 hour ago, WhakPak said:

Sort of...

The modem makes your connection to the outside world, which is the internet service you pay your ISP for (the WAN). The modem holds your public IP, which is assigned to it by the ISP as your address on the internet. The router connects to the modem, and it makes sure the traffic from the outside world gets directed to where it needs to go on the inside world (the LAN, your home). The outside world doesn't know anything about the inside world of your home network, it doesn't need to because the router looks after this. The DHCP server in the router assigns the LAN addresses to all the network devices in your home, or you have the option to choose those addresses manually. So you have a WAN IP, which is your public address on the network, which you have no control over. And there is the LAN IP, which you can configure in the router to be whatever you want it to be (within permissible parameters). The LAN can be divided up into subnets, to segment the traffic on the network, but this isn't usually necessary in small home networks.

Quite often the router and the modem are the same piece of hardware, and if they are, sometimes, if the design supports this, you can disable the router part and only use the modem part. This is called bridged mode. There isn't usually much performance difference between different modems, so the modem provided by your ISP should be OK for your requirement. The router/modem box supplied by your ISP will usually also have built into it a wireless access point. Whilst the modem part of the device should be sufficient for your requirements, the router part and access point part are usually very under-done. You can buy discrete devices that are router only, and access point only. These perform much better than the ISP supplied combination do everything box.

The network switch allows you to connect multiple devices in your home to the router, which then connects them to the outside world via the modem. Most routers will also provide a switching function, and these are called LAN ports. If you have more devices to connect than the router supports, you connect a network switch to the router, much like using a power board to connect multiple devices to the same power point.

To summarize, to get the best networking performance. Your ISP supplied modem is OK, operate it in bridged mode. Buy a dedicated router ($400-$2000 price range), connect its WAN port to the modem. Buy an access point and connect it to your router ($200-$2000 price range). If you need to connect more devices to the network than the LAN ports available on the router, buy a network switch ($100-$3000 price range) and connect it to a LAN port of the router.

Routers are available that can send your LAN traffic out to the WAN at 900 Mbps, but the factor limiting the actual speed is your ISP plan. Your NBN connection might only be 10 Mbps, or 20 Mbps if you're lucky, or 100 Mbps if you're rich and really lucky. AC wireless speeds, and gigabit switches etc, don't get you connected to the outside world any faster at all. I would use an enterprise class 10/100 switch over a consumer grade gigabit switch any day. I would also use a wireless-N enterprise class access point over a consumer grade AC access point any day. AC and gigabit is not the whole story for optimal networking performance.

Wow, $7000 on an install.  I bet the OP didn't see that coming  :wacko:

Think I'll stick with my $240 option that gives me 94 Mbps down and 30+ up all day, every day...  ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Wow, $7000 on an install.  I bet the OP didn't see that coming  :wacko:

Yep, easy, that's the price of changing from mass produced consumer grade ISP provided stuff to OEM market enterprise grade stuff.

And the prices of the hardware can go north of the numbers I mentioned above. No change from $3k just for the wireless access point I use at home.

Edited by WhakPak