catman

Catman's Analog Musings

I've read some very positive reports about the deoxit gold. It's a bit expensive, does anyone know where I might find it in Aus that's cheaper than that auction site?

G'day mate, it is expensive stuff, especially if you use the spay can.  I find the small bottles to have much better value.  Regards, Felix.  

On 11/02/2020 at 10:16 PM, catman said:

G'day mate, it is expensive stuff, especially if you use the spay can.  I find the small bottles to have much better value.  Regards, Felix.  

Felix - no musings for a while ... is everything OK with you?  :(

Andy

G'day mate, thanks for your concern.  Things have been somewhat up and down personally but things are mostly ok.  My recent BCC excision was successful, and all eight stitches are out and have healed well. 

Perhaps I've been pushing gym a bit too hard of late as I've been dealing with painful tendonitis, but physio treatment is working well, and I've resumed mostly normal gym training. 

My main DIY power amplifier recently died on one channel, and I'm awaiting a new commercially made power amplifier.  I was thinking about a new DIY effort, but I suspect that my DIY days are sadly over.

I am very concerned about the 'Corona' thing as I think the effects will be 'interesting', and that is being as positive as I can be.  'Interesting' times ahead, for all of us I think.  I've been trying to not let depression get to me too much!  Regards, Felix.  

Chin up Felix as there's always another record to play.

1 hour ago, catman said:

G'day mate, thanks for your concern.  Things have been somewhat up and down personally but things are mostly ok.  My recent BCC excision was successful, and all eight stitches are out and have healed well. 

Great to hear, Felix.  :thumb:

1 hour ago, catman said:

Perhaps I've been pushing gym a bit too hard of late as I've been dealing with painful tendonitis, but physio treatment is working well, and I've resumed mostly normal gym training. 

Can I suggest some swimming ... as well as gym work?  :)

1 hour ago, catman said:

My main DIY power amplifier recently died on one channel, and I'm awaiting a new commercially made power amplifier.  I was thinking about a new DIY effort, but I suspect that my DIY days are sadly over.

That's a sad occurrence, mate.  :(  What leads you to say your 'DIY days' are over?

(I don't believe you - here am I ... much older than you and I've embarked on a new build that involves quite a few bloody SMD components!  :(  So I have had to buy a 'hot air pencil' soldering station and a syringe of solder paste!)

1 hour ago, catman said:

I am very concerned about the 'Corona' thing as I think the effects will be 'interesting', and that is being as positive as I can be.

The Corona 'thing' is a beat-up, AFAIAC - so I don't worry about it.  Apart from implementing a regime of much more frequent hand washing than I would otherwise have done.  :lol:

Don't forget, "normal flu" kills 3500 Aussies a year.

Andy

1 hour ago, catman said:

My recent BCC excision was successful, and all eight stitches are out and have healed well. 

Good to see all is well. I tore three tendons off my right shoulder last year but its good. Now I have 80% on my left and 60% usefulness on my right. At our age, you have to do live and love everyday mate.:thumb:

7 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Good to see all is well. I tore three tendons off my right shoulder last year but its good. Now I have 80% on my left and 60% usefulness on my right. At our age, you have to do live and love everyday mate.:thumb:

Ouch!!  :(  :(  What on earth were you doing, W?

Andy

G'day all, as for my DIY days well two things actually, I seem to have lost my patience and passion for DIY and my eyesight continues to slowly worsen.  As for swimming, well I never really learned to swim properly when I was young!  As for Corona I think that the effects will be quite wide ranging.  In the end I'm just trying to maintain my good general health.  Regards, Felix. 

10 hours ago, andyr said:

Ouch!!  :(  :(  What on earth were you doing, W?

Andy

Fell over and put my arm out. Both main rotator cuff tendons and the Bicep tendon. This old body is starting to wear out but hopefully I can get another 10-15 years out of it.

Doing it 'right'.

G'day all, back to musing!  After reading those excellent hifisonix series of articles on aspects of RIAA and related things, I find it and indeed a trifle 'cheap' that many manufacturers of 'well regarded' phono stage designs, especially of the common full feedback op amp design approach, are not properly designed, and do not properly conform to the true spirit and intent of the RIAA specification, and to be honest although many of mine are in this category, and simply for this reason I actually don't feel like using them anymore despite sounding very good! 

I guess that is the old technician 'perfectionist' side of me coming out.  Thankfully a few of my phono stages 'are' designed properly and also sound good!  I guess this is part of the argument of what actually 'sounds better' regardless of design aspects.  I can see merits in both sides, however because of my past technical training, I always tend to err on the side of technical factuality!  Regards, Felix.   

Hi felix, which camp is the Akitika in?

G'day mate, I have the circuit but I'm actually not sure!  Its design is sufficiently unorthodox!  It is a very interesting and good sounding design!  Regards, Felix

Totally agree Felix, it is one phono pre I shall not move on, it made me move on the Musical Fidelity XLPSv3 and that was pretty good.

8 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Fell over and put my arm out. Both main rotator cuff tendons and the Bicep tendon. This old body is starting to wear out but hopefully I can get another 10-15 years out of it.

As long as you can lift glass to lips ... all is well, W!  :winky:

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

As long as you can lift glass to lips ... all is well, W!  :winky:

Andy

Lips to glass bro, hehe.

Fake and or poor quality op amps?

G'day all, this is an interesting one and I am starting to wonder if I have a bad batch of NE5534 op amps.  I use them in one of my phono preamps and for no apparent reason I have had several unexplained op amp failures, and today I noticed something possibly a little odd, while all of my op amp stocks have typed/ printed ID's on them all of the failures have ink that appears to be 'faint' and surprisingly easy to rub off!  Are fake or non genuine op amps a possibility?  Regards, Felix. 

Fake or faulty for whatever reason (seconds?) IC's are very common.

Mark posted pics f some fake OP AMPS here

I always purchase from good outlets such as Mouser, not ebay.

G'day all, just further to this general subject it looks like there are indeed fake and/or poor quality NE5534's out there and unfortunately I have a few of them, but thankfully I do have some 'good' stocks.  Interestingly enough since replacing the suspect ones in my DIY 'hifisonix' phono stage, the sound quality has markedly improved!  All this makes me wonder how many of us are using fake and/or poor quality devices in our DIY gear without knowing it and getting poor results as a consequence!  Mmmm.  Regards, Felix. 

I work in the defence industry and have known about the fake components for years.

2 hours ago, catman said:

G'day all, just further to this general subject it looks like there are indeed fake and/or poor quality NE5534's out there and unfortunately I have a few of them, but thankfully I do have some 'good' stocks.  Interestingly enough since replacing the suspect ones in my DIY 'hifisonix' phono stage, the sound quality has markedly improved!  All this makes me wonder how many of us are using fake and/or poor quality devices in our DIY gear without knowing it and getting poor results as a consequence!  Mmmm.  Regards, Felix. 

As Batty said, Felix (in the post B4 yours), you need to buy -  not from eBay but from outfits which take steps to ensure their supply chain is legitimate.

Such as Mouser, E14, RS Components ... and others.

Andy

Posted (edited)

The transient response of phono stages.

G'day all, I've probably raised this before in my musings, and of late I've been rotating a few of my better phono stages and one thing that can be noticeably different is phono stage 'transient response'.  It is a term that is difficult to define (even for me), but perhaps it is a sense of excitement as opposed to a sense of 'sameness'. 

As it presently stands only two of my (DIY) phono stages have this 'exciting' quality, and that is my ESP P06 DIY unit, and it is a quality that I recognised with the very first P06 that I built many years ago and my 'hifisonix' design (a very good design with excellent 'real world' performance).  I have always attributed it to the 'split' RIAA equalisation used in the ESP P06, of active bass equalisation and passive treble equalisation. 

Fully passive RIAA eq stages can sound very similar, yet to my ears the 'exciting' sound of the DIY ESP P06 is rather unique!  I have always felt that 'interaction' of for example, active equalisation might be a possible reason, but that is probably a bit simplistic in all honesty!  I guess that there should be some mysteries in this world!  Regards, Felix.    

Edited by catman
Addition.