Catman's Analog Musings

How are you going with the Akitika?, loving mine, was using it with a Luxman pd264 that has had a a bit of work stiffening the plinth, has an Acos Lustre GST-1 and a Shure V15 type IIi with Jico Neo SAS/SS. 

Now I have a Van den Hul DDT-II special fitted I need a MC phono.

So having the Rock II fitted with a GarroTT K2 I use the Akitika for that TT.

47 minutes ago, catman said:

G'day all, it is interesting how my threads often seem to morph into something else, but please go on!  Regards, Felix. 

Sorry, Felix - but you bring up subjects which a lot of us vinyl-heads are into ... and responses (just like with most threads here on SNA) can veer into 'adjacent' territory.  :)

1 hour ago, Batty said:

$$ for MM/MC ballpark figure.

I will take this off-line, B.

Andy

Edited by andyr

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sorry, Felix - but you bring up subjects which a lot of us vinyl-heads are into ... and responses (just like with most threads here on SNA) can veer into 'adjacent' territory.  :)

I will take this off-line, B.

Andy

Yes. way OT

Guest Muon N'

Felix, have you used the BB OPA2406?

Just wondering as I tried it and the OPA2134 in the OP of my Marantz player and much preferred the OPA2406, the OPA2134 in comparison for me at least sounded confused and less correct tonally.

I kno0w there are lots of variables and it can be application and system dependent, but wondering what your experience was.

Repairs to do, but there is a silver lining!

G'day all, today has been an odd day including waking up with a bad hypo (2.7) and other interesting things happening today including having two DIY phono stages to repair, but looking through my junk drawer and found one of my unused DIY 'Muffsy' phono stages, so I plugged it and it is a nice phono stage and sounds good.  I guess that I'll get around to doing repairs when I feel more motivated!  Regards, Felix.           

1 hour ago, catman said:

G'day all, today has been an odd day including waking up with a bad hypo (2.7)

Regards, Felix.           

Interesting, Felix ... I don't particularly like waking up with a BGL of 2.7 because I'm likely to be sweating heavily (so I try to make sure I don't) - but I'm still compos mentis at that reading.  When it gets down to 2 is when I consider it to be a "bad hypo"!

Andy

Edited by andyr

G'day mate, interesting.  I don't know the calibration of my BGL meter, but 2.7 certainly brought up the 'LO' alarm.  I felt ok, maybe just a little 'hazy', and I stayed that way for a fair bit of the day today.  Regards, Felix.

12 hours ago, catman said:

G'day mate, interesting.  I don't know the calibration of my BGL meter, but 2.7 certainly brought up the 'LO' alarm.

Yes, it certainly would, Felix!  :lol:  And if you told your diabetic educator you were down at 2.7 ... they would probably have conniptions!  :lol:

12 hours ago, catman said:

I felt ok, maybe just a little 'hazy', and I stayed that way for a fair bit of the day today.  Regards, Felix.

"Stayed the same way (for the day) "?  You didn't have some carbs straight away after you'd measured your BGL, to bring you back up to a more reasonable level?

Andy

What is your favourite 'every day' phono stage?

G'day all, I seem to be getting back into regular daily record playing with the two main systems in this place and it is interesting how acoustics seem to be playing a part.  On my lounge room system I have a preference for my Rothwell 'Simplex', but in here (my radio shack system), it still shifts between some of my DIY units with my ESP P06 still getting most use.  What do others use routinely?  Regards, Felix. 

Vincent PHO 8 for my shure v15 type4 cart- that is my only setup . l would like to try the MC output on it one day , but with a non detachable headshell on my SME arm it is just too bloody fiddly : oh and l don't own an MC cart.

• Like 1

The current drain of typical dual op amps. 

G'day all, I've needed to do some fault finding on my Akitika phono stage lately which turned out to be several op amps that inexplicably failed (NE5532, NE5534) and whilst doing fault finding I made some observations. 

The Akitika phono stage does contain quite a few op amps (six in total) and whilst testing it I used one of my small split rail power supplies using LM7815 and LM7915 regulators running without heatsinks on the regulators.  With a fairly small/ light load heatsinks on the regulators are unnecessary, however when powering the Akitika phono stage the regulators become quite 'hot' suggesting that six op amps are a substantial current load.  I've been told that the OPA2134's draw even greater current that the NE5532's and the like.  Interesting!  Regards, Felix.     

Edited by catman
Grammar.

Boring or exciting.

G'day all, a bit of an ordinary day in a couple of ways (due to unexpectedly high blood glucose today), but interestingly enough a bit of record playing with my DIY ESP P06 reconfirmed one interesting merit that the P06 has. 

It is a 'dynamic', and even exciting sounding phono stage.  I can't actually think of any particular reason why, but listening to it, that is the overwhelming impression that I get, especially after listening to 'lesser', but still good phono stages.  Speculating why is difficult, but I suspect that the possibly unusually implemented RIAA passive treble roll off of the P06 'might' be the reason!  Whatever the reason, even after all these years the DIY ESP P06 is 'still' an incredible phono stage.  I (still) love it.  Regards, Felix.   

Op amp rolling....a nice combination.

G'day all, I've tried this after reading this suggestion regarding another kit phono stage, and trying it in my DIY ESP P06 has worked very well.  In my DIY ESP P06 using an OPA2134 in the first stage and an LM4562 in the second 'gain' stage has subjectively made the P06 'much' quieter than ever before! 

If there are two words to define to sound of the LM4562, they are 'clean' and 'tight'.  It certainly makes a very big difference in my DIY ESP P06.  Regards, Felix.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catman said:

Op amp rolling....a nice combination.

G'day all, I've tried this after reading this suggestion regarding another kit phono stage, and trying it in my DIY ESP P06 has worked very well.  In my DIY ESP P06 using an OPA2134 in the first stage and an LM4562 in the second 'gain' stage has subjectively made the P06 'much' quieter than ever before! 

If there are two words to define to sound of the LM4562, they are 'clean' and 'tight'.  It certainly makes a very big difference in my DIY ESP P06.  Regards, Felix.  

Would you like me to send you up some AD826ANs to try, Felix?  (I bought excess when I built my ESP active XOs many years ago ... and haven't used them.  I bought AD826ANs after reading a comparo of opamps done by a guy whose moniker was 'DVV'.)

If so ... PM me your address and tell me how many you need for your P06.

Andy

• Like 1

Ever wondered about this?

G'day all, have you ever wondered how your favourite phono stage ever got designed and in particular about the people who did it?  I'm happy to say that I have had some contact with various people who designed some of my favourite phono stages and it has given me some 'interesting' insights. 

Rod Elliott for example, apart from designing some incredible gear, he is an extremely smart fellow with electronics generally.  There is just so much interesting and educational stuff on his website which is a highly recommended read too.  He has done a lot with music production and such over the years.  That means a lot to me.

Similar with Andrew Rothwell too.  A very smart fellow, musician and electronics designer, and it shows!  His 'Simplex' phono stage is a very clever 'non op amp' design and sounds satisfyingly musical to me.  Regards, Felix. 

Yes, Felix.  I recall when I was young that the designers of equipment seemed so distant and unapproachable.  They were a mythical being in far off lands that ordinary Australians could only wonder about. 

I feel fortunate that we live in a much smaller world now, and the internet in particular has contributed to this.  I've been able to send emails to companies overseas and received well-considered replies from them.  I've shared emails with Glenn Croft, who designed and handbuilt my valve preamp in the UK.  And last week I was able to ask SoundSmith's brains Peter Ledermann some questions about cartridges at the HiFi show.  I also recall other posts where you have shared info gained from your contact with Rod Elliott, and the personal support he gives has given me inspiration to (in the longer term) build his phono stage to hear what Felix raves about.

It's increasingly easy to find and give examples of poor customer service (don't get me started on Sony!).  However, I always feel privileged when I can get direct contact with these very talented, generous and busy people. 

• Like 1

Serendipity?

G'day all, I plugged in my beloved ANT Kora 3T SE the other evening after quite a while, and tried an experiment of sorts.  I have never been at all sure about that back panel 'bias' control, well it 'should' do something but I never noticed much change, in all honesty, however when I first got it I didn't think that it 'rocked' as a phono stage, but I loved its sound otherwise but I couldn't recall where the bias control was set when it first arrived. 

So I set it to one extreme (anti clockwise), and played a record that normally sounds slightly 'brittle', and I was somewhat stunned to note that this record sounded smoother than I expected.  More listening will follow, but maybe that bias control does alter the sound quality somewhat, that might be used to 'tune' the sound quality to advantage.  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
Spelling.