Catman's Analog Musings

G'day mate, well I've repaired it ok I think, but not before destroying another op amp another NE5532!  Why, I just don't know but in the end I replaced the IC socket which did show some evidence of 'tracking' across the pins.  A curious fault but all seems ok now (hopefully).  Regards, Felix.   

• Like 1

'Sweet' audio.

G'day all, in my various audio musings I have often invoked the term 'musical' and another term that to me invokes a particular quality of sound is 'sweet'.  Several of my audio sources do sound 'sweet' including phono, but trying to quantify how 'sweet' sounds is not at all easy. 

There is almost a synaesthesia aspect to a verbal description, but again when I hear 'sweet', I know it.  Almost a sense of 'colour' to the audio quality, actually that is pretty close to the truth.  Yet at times that sound might be perceived as euphonic, but is always very pleasant to behold!  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  Regards, Felix. 

As I've got better quality reproduction equipment, and more exposure to poorly mastered music (eg. compressed), I am often taken back when I listen to a well-mastered disk - taken from the master tapes, not messed-up with eq/compression, etc.  The music is just there, it's natural, and I just sit back and experience it; there is no "work" for me to do to listen to it as there is nothing my brain needs to do to compensate for.  Is that what you might call "sweet"?

In comparison listening to the bad reproduction has some barrier, my brain's working harder to connect to the music, trying to compensate for the flaws.  I'm sitting back with a feeling that something's not quite right.  Is that what you might call "sour"?

I'm not synesthetic, so can only go by my reactions/experience. 

Is the Ortofon Super OM 10 the best budget phono cartridge? 

G'day all, I've just reinstalled my Ortofon Super OM 10 into a surplus headshell and listening to it tonight I have to admit that it is a pretty good sounding and performing phono cartridge, and I will sadly admit that it is in most respects better than my Shure M97/N92e combination which is actually 'not bad' at all. 

The Ortofon Super OM 10 tracks very well (at the recommended 1.5 grams) and sounds well balanced and essentially neutral and has excellent stereo separation, and is much better than the Shure in this respect anyway.  Although sonically similar, I actually prefer the 'airier' and more 'dynamic' sound of the Super OM 10 compared to the 'non Super' versions.  The magnetic circuit is 'better'.  Is the Ortofon Super OM 10 the best budget phono cartridge?  Yes, I do think so!  Regards. Felix. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Is any particular phono stage approach circuit inherently sonically superior?

G'day all, this is something that I've often wondered about and I'm just not sure!  My Rothwell Simplex has a 'smoothness and musicality', and although it is supposed to be a full passive eq design I can't really say that is the reason!  Even full feedback eq designs can sound excellent although I think that I prefer full passive designs for their subjectively free and open sound whereas full feedback designs always seem to 'hint' at slight sonic compression.  Mmmmmmm.  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
Grammar.

44 minutes ago, catman said:

Is any particular phono stage approach circuit inherently sonically superior?

G'day all, this is something that I've often wondered about and I'm just not sure!  My Rothwell Simplex has a 'smoothness and musicality', and although it is supposed to be a full passive eq design I can't really say that is the reason!  Even full feedback eq designs can sound excellent although I think that I prefer full passive designs for their subjectively free and open sound whereas full feedback designs always seem to 'hint' at slight sonic compression.  Mmmmmmm.  Regards, Felix.   

So you've just answered your own Qu, Felix!  Passive EQ rules!  :)

I most definitely agree with that conclusion but what I don't know (perhaps you can advise, given the many phono stages you have) is ... does passive RIAA EQ imply an opamp-free circuit?

Andy

Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no....quite possibly!

G'day all, firstly just answering andyr's last question from my last thread, 'often but not always'!  Of late I've been thinking heavily about aspects of op amp sound and allied things.  Many authorities whom I fully respect and admire say that op amp sound is a myth without any truth, yet much long term listening and comparisons tell me that there 'are' sonic differences that are perhaps best defined as 'subtle', yet noticeable in ways that are difficult to accurately define and quantify! 

Of all the op amps that I have tried, the OPA2134 is definitely the best sounding and indeed the 'nicest' sounding.  Substitution seems to be the clearest and quickest means of determining this, yet again, 'subtle' is the best word to describe any sonic change.  The manufacturers of the OPA2134 claim superior sound quality for this dual op amp (due to its FET input stage), without providing any tangible proof, however my ears and close listening confirms that there is something very agreeable and even 'colourful' about the sound of the OPA2134!  Other good op amps such as the NE5532 are good too, but just seem to lack 'something' in terms of sound quality, compared to the OPA2134.  With that, I think that I will leave it there!  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman
Spelling.

Stereo Headphone listening.

G'day all, most of my listening is via speakers although I do have a few sets of high quality stereo headphones that get surprisingly little use.  I'm not overly sure why that is as although I enjoy the headphone experience sonically I admit that I don't like wearing them much!  I have been using them a bit lately though and maybe headphone sound is possibly 'better' than listening through speakers.  I admit that their sound as headphones are affected by the quality of headphone amps in a sense! 

Low impedance drive is definitely the way to go and at least one of my stereo headphones sounds ok when driven through a 'typical' amplifier headphone output, but much better through my DIY headphones amps with optimised low output impedance.  Are speakers anywhere as critical?  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
Punctuation.

How did you pick your favourite phono cartridge?

For me, looking at the cartridges I own, probably mainly 'price', but apart from that possibly brand name/heritage and general performance and sound quality, but sometimes there are conflicts between all of these!

Good general tracking is important to me, and one particular brand has left a very sour taste in my mouth thanks to its appallingly bad general tracking, especially at the inner grooves.  I absolutely 'HATE' that cartridge!

For a few reasons I prefer moving magnet cartridges but I have also heard at least one very nice sounding moving coil cartridge, however the lack of a user replaceable stylus is a big negative for me!  I'd be interested to hear of others opinions and comments.  Regards, Felix.         

1 hour ago, catman said:

Good general tracking is important to me, and one particular brand has left a very sour taste in my mouth thanks to its appallingly bad general tracking, especially at the inner grooves.  I absolutely 'HATE' that cartridge!

Mind telling us which one Felix?

The best stories are the ones with the most honesty, after all..  ;) 

So many mistakes....I must be getting old!

G'day all, not phono, but more radio electronics!  Over the last couple of days 'inspired' by what I thought was subtle distortion on one of my transistor based AM  detectors, I decided to build a diode based detector for comparison! 

Well that is how it started anyway!  I built a circuit similar to others that I have previously built with complete success, but this one just would not work satisfactorily and I could not understand why.  I did modification after modification (making things worse), and only realized my 'mistake' after a couple of days of wasted effort! 

I have one of my component drawers marked as 'germanium diodes', and any one or two should have worked in my circuit, but didn't.  As it turned out after closely reading the markings on the diodes, I realised that although these diodes 'looked' like BAT 46 germanium diode 'equivalents' (which work well in this application), but were actually IN5711 Schottky diodes, very good diodes, but not suitable for ordinary detector service. 

They worked, but very poorly in this service.  How these 1N5711 diodes got into my germanium diode drawer was/is entirely my fault, and with my ever worsening eyesight I assumed that they were ordinary germanium diodes.... but they weren't!  With the correct diodes in circuit my AM detector works perfectly.  I must be getting old!  Regards, Felix.  

Edited by catman
Spelling.

1 hour ago, catman said:

How these 1N5711 diodes got into my germanium diode drawer was/is entirely my fault, and with my ever worsening eyesight I assumed that they were ordinary germanium diodes.... but they weren't!  With the correct diodes in circuit my AM detector works perfectly.  I must be getting old!  Regards, Felix.  

Sad to hear, Felix.  :(  But an easy mistake.

Do you have a head-mounted magnifying lens with LED light?  The one I have (bought either from eBay or Jaycar - I can't remember) has a head ring to keep it steady on my forehead - then the magnifier has 3 different strengths.  It cost me around $20, I seem to remember.

I find it very useful for eg. looking at the part numbers on JFETs.

Andy

G'day mate, I have two of those units actually and using one this morning was the only reason that I realised my error!  Even my standard reading glasses aren't good enough anymore!  Regards, Felix.     

On 22/04/2019 at 8:15 PM, catman said:

How did you pick your favourite phono cartridge?

For me, looking at the cartridges I own, probably mainly 'price', but apart from that possibly brand name/heritage and general performance and sound quality, but sometimes there are conflicts between all of these!

For a few reasons I prefer moving magnet cartridges but I have also heard at least one very nice sounding moving coil cartridge, however the lack of a user replaceable stylus is a big negative for me!  I'd be interested to hear of others opinions and comments.  Regards, Felix.         

My favourite is one that I can afford and won't make me cry when I (or someone else) breaks a stylus! That pretty much narrowed it down to the At95e. I then bought a Clearaudio Concept MM V2 at a reasonable price, which takes the same stylus with the plastic clipped off.

• Like 1

Rothwell audio products.

G'day all, I have two Rothwell Audio 'Simplex' phono preamps (on different systems), that I regard highly and are probably my 'favourite' phono stages in absolute terms.  I wonder if anybody else uses Rothwell phono stages or any other Rothwell products including gear designed for electric guitar applications such as the extensive range of guitar effects pedals. 

I like the 'Simplex' for a number of reasons including the use of no op amps and only discrete transistor circuitry!  I love it, it sounds great!  Andrew Rothwell is obviously a talented and music minded person and a musician himself.  His gear is not cheap, but it is I think worth every cent!  Any other Rothwell fans out there?  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
Spelling.

3 hours ago, catman said:

G'day all, I have two Rothwell Audio 'Simplex' phono preamps (on different systems), that I regard highly and are probably my 'favourite' phono stages in absolute terms.

Now. c'mon, Felix - what's changed?  (You've always promoted your (opamp-based) Rod Elliott phono stage as your favourite-sounding one??)

Andy

G'day mate, just one question please, why do you keep hitting me with this?  It is starting to get very annoying and to be honest, hurtful!  I love all my phono stages including my beloved ESP P06 and for a not very expensive DIY design, it can't really be touched, however I also love the Rothwell 'Simplex' for the reasons that I have already given.  Fair enough mate?  No more of this hurtful harassment, please!  Regards, Felix. 

48 minutes ago, catman said:

G'day mate, just one question please, why do you keep hitting me with this?  It is starting to get very annoying and to be honest, hurtful!  I love all my phono stages including my beloved ESP P06 and for a not very expensive DIY design, it can't really be touched, however I also love the Rothwell 'Simplex' for the reasons that I have already given.  Fair enough mate?  No more of this hurtful harassment, please!  Regards, Felix. 

Sorry, Felix - did not think it was upsetting you.  I will make no more comment.

Andy

• Like 1

The value of matching channels (and components) in stereo preamplifiers.

G'day all, this is an interesting one that may be more important than one may think!  Some manufacturers of phono preamps and the like make a point of matching components between channels, and I guess many don't even with otherwise high quality units. 

In my own DIY work taking the cue from a comment from ESP  pages, Rod Elliott has always reiterated the importance of channel matching with preamps and especially phono stages.  I think that he is probably right in all honesty! 

Listening to my DIY ESP P06 tonight with which I have matched critical L/R  channel components, it was apparent the stereo soundstage was particularly solid and well defined compared to other commercially made phono stages I possess.  That is interesting I think, and the value of matching is possibly undervalued.  Regards, Felix.       

• 2 weeks later...

Op amp rolling....a different view....forget colouration....how about 'tightness'

G'day all, please excuse my vagueness, but we all know about the sound of different op amps, something that I think is mostly a myth yet I still think that there are sonic differences between different op amps, not 'colouration' per se, but other less easily defined sonic differences! 

I plugged in an LM4562 into position two of my ESP P06 today in place of my usual OPA2134.  When first listened to the LM4562 a few years ago, using my maximum volume 'hiss' test, I confirmed its very quiet low noise profile and also what 'hiss' that there was, sounded 'tight', a definite sonic quality, different to other premium op amps. perhaps related to high slew rate. 

I'm still not sure that the LM4562 is quite as musical sounding as the OPA2134 in my ESP P06 circuit, but the LM4562 seems to impart a certain 'crispness' that actually sounds quite endearing.  My imagination?  I don't think so!  Any comments or thoughts on this?  For what it is worth, I have noted the same sonic 'tightness' with the Schiit Mani, but I do not know what op amps are used in that phono stage.  Regards, Felix.       

Part 2,  Little things that make a difference!

G'day all, I've ben listening quite a lot of late to my DIY ESP P06 of late, and the addition of the LM4562 in the second stage has really made a difference in the most satisfying way!  As much as I really like the OPA2134, in the P06 circuit at least the use of the LM4562 really 'wakes' the P06 up nicely. 

'Just right' as the old ad goes!  Frankly I am a little surprised but pleasantly so.  The LM4562 is indeed a great dual op amp!  Regards, Felix.