Catman's Analog Musings

G'day mate, just the usual system in here CA AM10 power amplifier, DIY ESP P97 stereo line preamp, CA SX-50 bookshelf speakers and the Rothwell Audio 'Simplex' phono stage.  http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/simplex_mm_phonostage.html  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman
Addition.

A fire breaks out next door and the flames are licking at your roof, the fire brigade turns up, you have 2 minutes to evacuate.  You can grab one phono stage, which just by chance you had all of them lined up on your dining table, just one, not two, just one, which one are you going to take Catman, which one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catman said:

When I first bought it I thought it somewhat overpriced but maybe there is a very good reason for it, it does sound fantastic.  However maybe it sounds a little too fantastic, which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the RIAA curve?  Mated with my Shure M97xE (a cartridge with a slight and deliberate upper treble roll off), that cartridge shows absolutely no sign of any treble roll off whatsoever, and I do wonder why?

The specs indicate plus/minus .5 db RIAA accuracy which seems accurate enough, or maybe it is just a really well designed and great sounding phono stage based entirely on discrete transistor circuitry.  Well in the end, it sounds great with my Shure M97xE so what am I talking about?  Regards, Felix.

If the Shure M97xE has a deliberate treble roll-off (correctly C-weighted), maybe the Rothwell includes Allen Wright's 50KHz boost which compensates for this?  (Which I added to the "Phantom Audio" that you now have.)

And btw, the Phantom Audio can handle both a 0.3mV MC and a 5mV MM.  All I needed to do was turn up my preamp volume control more, with my Benz LP.

Andy

I have cut back on my Phono stage addiction, I currently now only own a Vincent PHO-8 (MM & MC) and the Akitika (MM).

I do however have another 'box' with 2 step up devices inside, a battery operated Boozehound Labs Pre Pre and a pair of 1:10 SUTs.

I am also considering another DIY head amp build based around 2N4401 and 2N4403 transistors.

• Like 2

G'day all, the plot thickens!  Listening to a couple of my other phono stages it is apparent that only the Schiit Mani and the Rothwell Simplex have this crispness/bite that sounds so good with my M97xE.  

My conclusions:  either these two phono stages have some deliberate? RIAA 'voicing' or some other factor is at play, like possible high frequency distortion.  I mostly discount that possibility, but there has to be a reason for the crispness/bite!  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
Spelling.

2 hours ago, catman said:

G'day all, the plot thickens!  Listening to a couple of my other phono stages it is apparent that only the Schiit Mani and the Rothwell Simplex have this crispness/bite that sounds so good with my M97xE.  

My conclusions:  either these two phono stages have some deliberate? RIAA 'voicing' or some other factor is at play, like possible high frequency distortion.  I mostly discount that possibility, but there has to be a reason for the crispness/bite!  Regards, Felix.   

Or they are simply more transparent? I found the Mani to be a revelation in the area of detail. Some consider this to be brightness and many who prefer vinyl eschew such things but for me it brought out all that is good, yes, good, about CD. :lol:

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

You need to listen to some more music, instead of phono stages.  :P

It is a slippery slope and I am feeling my grip giving way... :ohmy:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crisis said:

Or they are simply more transparent? I found the Mani to be a revelation in the area of detail. Some consider this to be brightness and many who prefer vinyl eschew such things but for me it brought out all that is good, yes, good, about CD. :lol:

It is a slippery slope and I am feeling my grip giving way... :ohmy:

I have  an excellent phono stage in my amplifier and my grip is limpet like. It is not and never has been, an elimination event for me and I enjoy and celebrate the differences.

I neither need ,nor want, another phono stage. It's not unlike cable swapping to colour the sound to suit one's biases.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

I have  an excellent phono stage in my amplifier and my grip is limpet like. It is not and never has been, an elimination event for me and I enjoy and celebrate the differences.

I neither need ,nor want, another phono stage. It's not unlike cable swapping to colour the sound to suit one's biases.

It is surely entirely like that. The problem is you (me) are always telling yourself "its good but, can it be better!!!!!!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crisis said:

It is surely entirely like that. The problem is you (me) are always telling yourself "its good but, can it be better!!!!!!"

So true.

However there are many more productive areas in which system enhancement can be achieved

• Like 2

G'day mate, yes it's a phono stage with a very unique 'sound', that might be a little polarising, I'll be honest in saying that! 

I know of one particular reviewer who doesn't really like it much.  However I do like it and I appreciate its excellent engineering!  Regards, Felix.    

15 hours ago, crisis said:

The answer to your last question should be....."If it involves too much money for minimal gain......don't bother.' That's what most add on's deliver, minimal gain. Just be happy with what you've got, or keep spinning the changes like a pokies junkie and see your money disappear......:cool:

G'day all, yes another one of those types of threads, I'm afraid!  Regarding phono stage design I've been doing some heavy technical reading tonight, and it is apparent that some really good sounding phono stages may not be technically 'that good', yet are highly regarded because there are indeed 'good sounding'.  Yes, my head hurts!  The question is, which would I rather have?  Regards, Felix.     

Who cares? You're the judge of your music through your equipment.

Also it's not like some person's comments about gear will suddenly increase/decrease its performance in your system so why should it affect your impressions?

I read reviews/impressions before I buy gear, not after. Life's better that way.

• Like 1