Catman's Analog Musings

13 hours ago, catman said:

Whilst I wouldn't call this phono stage particularly dynamic sounding, its 'musical' profile is both exceedingly rare and wonderful!  Regards, Felix. 

I agree. When I was getting my Vincent phono stage repaired, I returned to the Discsaver in the interim and I quickly noticed the lesser dynamics but on the other hand was reminded of it's extremely satisfying musicality and impressive detail. It is indeed an impressive little unit.:)

A phono cartridge is only as good as the phono stage that it is connected to!

G'day all, fiddling with a few different phono stages this morning with the same cartridge (Shure M97xE) and one conclusion that I've come to is that some combinations 'click' and others don't, all things being equal.  I guess that I'm making a case for 'synergy'. 

My M97xE sounds fresh, clean and dynamic teamed with my DIY ESP P06, and staid and a little boring with others.  I guess that this shouldn't be surprising, given what we frequently read especially in regard to moving coil cartridges and certain phono stages.  

Maybe it is the specifics of loading or something else besides.  On moving coil cartridges I recently read an account of a particular well regarded moving coil cartridge that sounded utterly boring fed into a 'head amp' (active electronics), but fantastic into an equivalent step up transformer arrangement. 

Curious, but I'm not really surprised!  Sometimes, these things happen.  'Synergy' indeed, yes some combinations work better than others!  Regards, Felix.             

1 hour ago, catman said:

A phono cartridge is only as good as the phono stage that it is connected to!

True.....but there are many better cart's than the M97xE Felix, give some a go! Through my Pho-8 phono stage the M97xE sounds great but my DL103 sounds much better and my Grace Level II RC sounds better again......maybe time for some cart experimentation Felix! I realise it potentially opens up a spending 'can of worms' and a gamut of phono stage /cart combination testing, but you'll be hearing your music in a whole new light with carts that are superior to the 'great for the price' M97xE.:thumb: Just a suggestion.....:)

I concur.  I was a Shure fan back in the 70s and 80s,  so I bought an M97xE when they came out.  I was a little underwhelmed, and so tried others.  Didn't like the Orotofons so much, but the AT carts were very exciting (I am a fan of budget AT carts).  I also tried some older carts such as the Stanton 400/500s, and especially a 681eee, then went back to some older Shure's like the M75, M91, M95s.  All of them great in different ways.  Haven't used the M97 for quite some time.

• Like 1

I'm using a 1980s Shure V15/III on a 1980 Luxman TT and 1982 Hadcock GH228 unipivot arm, all work rather well together (not too bright) through the Akitika MM phono stage an 40dB gain. Latest addition was a pair of Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. All sounding rather good, may have to get another pair of BJ LC-1 to go between phono and amplifier.

Running the V15 at 1g and is tracking really well.

• Like 1

The Luxman is a slightly modified PD264, I thought the underside cover was a waste of space so used it as a template and made one from 6mm MDF plus I have phono sockets mounted on a small plate at the rear.

Which Copland do you have? I had a CSA-14 but upgraded to the 29 a short while ago.

Couple of pics of the modifications.

Sorry for going OT.

59b7938231e5e_IMG_0001(24).thumb.JPG.2911288b94020450439118207faee5f8.JPG

59b793ba774c0_IMG_0003(4).thumb.JPG.0fde73ca0adff25076ff98c372b26b2c.JPG

• Like 1

@Batty The MDF is a great idea. Works well on Thorens and ARs and the like too. Cheap and highly effective.

I have a CSA-14 which is woefully underpowering my SL600s presently. I'll buy speakers to suit the amp and an amp more effective under such a difficult load at a later date... Love the Copland. Damn near bought yours but ended up buying one locally and in black for more than twice the price... :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

G'day all, with my luck phono stages are going to be the death of me, and I (still) have a lot of phono stages yet despite all the excellent ones that I have, I always seem to go back to my old ever reliable DIY ESP P06.  It is one of the first that I built and still 'delivers the goods' where it matters.  Does anyone else have a phono stage like that?  Regards, Felix. 

Ok, you like to talk about phono stages, and that’s brilliant, but you tend to start a new thread about a particular “thought of the day” and that’s well and good if the subject wasn’t always about phono stages. 

Start a thread, say let’s call it’s “Catmans Phono Corner” where and you and other like minded people can talk to the end of time in one thread. Believe me, it’ll be a popular thread and it’ll be near term than multiple threads that are in all essence , similar. 

Edited by Sime

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

Ok, you like to talk about phono stages, and that’s brilliant, but you tend to start a new thread about a particular “thought of the day” and that’s well and good if the subject wasn’t always about phono stages. 

Start a thread, say let’s call it’s “Catmans Phono Corner” where and you and other like minded people can talk to the end of time in one thread. Believe me, it’ll be a popular thread and it’ll be near term than multiple threads that are in all essence , similar. 

We already have one....called catmans analog musing or something 

G'day mate, sorry that I've apparently annoyed you with this.  'The 'catman's analog musings', already exists somewhere....not started by me by the way.  Regards, Felix.  Yes I am feeling a bit 'hated' tonight.  

Dude, not hating on you at all, so instead of thinking I’m beating down on you, I’m actually trying to steer you in the right direction. 

Given that someone else has started that thread for you, kinda makes me think you should be looking more to that direction also. 

Whoa.....that went downhill quick.:P  I think 'thought of the day' topics are fine, it's like having a conversation with friends based on thought bubbles. It's not like the stereonet site can't fit them! I do really like the "Catmans Analog Musings" though, it's a great phono stage discussion staring point, a great thread....btw Felix, you did start that thread:).....gee, you are having a bad day:lol:. It's all good people....chat away about anything I say! I, for one, thoroughly enjoy Felix's musings.:thumb:

• Like 1

Anyway, back on topic.....As I only have three phono stages and have improved with each purchase, I don't go back to the first two as they are just not as good, so it's the Vincent PHO-8 for me. Unless I win the Lotto, I can't see myself upgrading any time soon, the Vincent is more than fine for now. I love it! If the Vincent somehow died, I would return to my QED Discsaver, it's the next best, until I upgraded to something else or maybe just get another PHO-8. It's that good!:thumb:

l too love my pho 8 but if l had to replace it l would save up (at twice the cost)and buy the only other phono that l have heard in my system,  the HEED QUASAR  - before that l used the built in phono's of my pre-amps: first a NAD 116 then my current Sherbourn. l wouldnt go back