Sign in to follow this  
Full Range

Camera Bags - What suits you best

As a topic starter I would like to inform readers that - 

I am now overstimulated in the pursuit of finding a camera bag that suits me

Many choices and styles are available - and it can make ones head spin 

So I will break down my preferences 

As an avid Cruising the Seas tragic with my better half - I see that as a lifetime pastime 

So I need a multi purpose and multi carry camera bag 

Help me find the ideal bag for me - or Should I design one ?

List of what is ideal for me 

A bag that can fit a medium bit of kit - DSLR and a min of 3 lenses, iPad and nick nacks 

A bag that can be carried in 3 ways 

1) Back Pack, Front Pack & Over the shoulder 

I will explain the reason - When Ocean cruising one is often in motion in and out of port 

Also in and out of tender boats and tour busses - The front pack is for this reason as one does not want to sit down and lean back on the gear

For the back pack part of the equation - is for walking long distances with comfort 

The over the shoulder option is for the purpose of moving short distances or when stopping / starting / sitting ect 

Is my search in vain ? 

I have a couple...

one where all my lenses etc sit for storage... its this canon one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html

i got mine very cheap off the web. eBay I think.

the other one I have for on the go is a sling. the lowepro passport sling,

http://store.lowepro.com/passport-sling-iii

this thing is amazing good ! as can see in the photo it will take my largest zoom on the canon 70-200 f2.8L IS on my canon 5D4 full frame..with room to spare...and I can pack another lens in there usually as well which typically if going a combo it will be a wide lens.

and still leaves room for some other knick knacks and things i.e. it make and ideal day bag...can walk around all day and not notice it. do also at times sling over the shoulder and take with me when bike riding.

cost me about $15 from good guys I think i got the v2 on run out.

If you're a tourist overseas best to avoid ones that look like camera bags and certainly ones that are branded with a camera make. Over the shoulder bags get real tiring real quick. I have one. Don't use it anymore. My current "camera" bag.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product/Woody-30/280/category/1

Edited by KenTripp

Those backpacks in the links are great and I'm sure they can be worn as a front-pack

However they are to bulky looking

I need bag that is more slimline

1 minute ago, Full Range said:

Those backpacks in the links are great and I'm sure they can be worn as a front-pack

I reckon they're stuffed as much as they can in that Woody for those pics. Here's the specs.

Capacity 30L

Weight 0.9kg

Dimension 42 x 34 x 23cm

18 minutes ago, Full Range said:

full range i have a slightly different take on this I guess. while I have taken the back pack out at times... I wouldnt personally recommend it .... it tends for me anyways be more of somewhere safe to keep it all. and can mean I can take the entire kit somewhere with me if I want...though that would be very rare.

I've moved away from infield lens swaps... and want to keep myself away form temptation as much of doing that. so hence almost I will only ever take a lens on a body and one other. and if do a lens swap in the confines indoors rather than in the field. in field swaps best way I think is getting chunks of stuff in the sensor mirror/prism and viewings screen. stuff if manage on a trip will mean either stuffing all your shots and without even realising or then needing camera service which kind of thing wont really want to do on the move

so hence what I've suggested is probably in that case maybe not what you want.

there are probably slimmer options out there but probably not in what I suggested :)

Sell all of your gear, and buy either a bridge camera with 2000mm zoom, or m4/3 system so you can carry everything you need in a small bag. (J/k)

You should consider what you really need for each part of your trip and only carry a body and lens in a small bag to suit. The reason I do this is so I can put the camera away when we go for something to eat etc, plus to carry some water, otherwise I wouldn't bother taking a bag with me.

1 minute ago, :) al said:

full range i have a slightly different take on this I guess. while I have taken the back pack out at times... I wouldnt personally recommend it .... it tends for me anyways be more of somewhere safe to keep it all. and can mean I can take the entire kit somewhere with me if I want...though that would be very rare.

I've moved away from infield lens swaps... and want to keep myself away form temptation as much of doing that. so hence almost I will only ever take a lens on a body and one other. and if do a lens swap in the confines indoors rather than in the field. in field swaps best way I think is getting chunks of stuff in the sensor mirror/prism and viewings screen. stuff if manage on a trip will mean either stuffing all your shots and without even realising or then needing camera service which kind of thing wont really want to do on the move

so hence what I've suggested is probably in that case maybe not what you want.

there are probably slimmer options out there but probably not in what I suggested :)

Thats exactly what I do now

I take a large shoulder bag with all the gear on the ship

Then I choose a lens for the tour and take that camera / lens setup in a camera case 

My camera case will accomodate all my lenses up to the 300 mm ( one at a time of course ;) ) 

Just now, Spearmint said:

Sell all of your gear, and buy either a bridge camera with 2000mm zoom, or m4/3 system so you can carry everything you need in a small bag. (J/k)

You should consider what you really need for each part of your trip and only carry a body and lens in a small bag to suit. The reason I do this is so I can put the camera away when we go for something to eat etc, plus to carry some water, otherwise I wouldn't bother taking a bag with me.

The small point and shot canon cameras are also packed and my wife uses them 

At times she takes a superior photo 

We use the small cameras for food photos 

Apon our return I make a photo movie with titles and music as a momento and if we go as a group of friends they all get a photo movie

Because I have operated with an equipment bag as the main transport for the camera gear 

And chosen a lens to use for the day to be carried in a small fitting camera case 

I am drawn to the Canon 2400 Gadget bag and possibly a more modern and more comfortable triangle camera case to use on tours and shore trips 

Get a proper case. Red velvet lined, leather clad and can take a knock;).

camera case.jpg

37 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Because I have operated with an equipment bag as the main transport for the camera gear 

And chosen a lens to use for the day to be carried in a small fitting camera case 

I am drawn to the Canon 2400 Gadget bag and possibly a more modern and more comfortable triangle camera case to use on tours and shore trips 

sorry I should have mentioned and I dont know if you mean this as comfortable triangle camera case. but I do also use a lowepro TZ1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Topload-Standard-Canon-1000D/dp/B00004TX71

have had it for eternity 10+ years am pretty sure. down think can still get it but probably something else there. 

its just your typical padded camera case and with a pouch in front which is handy for spare battery and a filter and the little tiny canon flash I carry - just in case :D

So I have just had a relaxing spa and made an espresso and started reading replies 

My current camera case is more a traditional snug fitting T case 

The triangle case I noted in my post is a little more generous and more comfortable on the shoulder ( see photo ) 

image.jpeg

Edited by Full Range

Personally I like this... 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672943-REG/Lowepro_LP36135_0EU_Exchange_Messenger_Bag_Black.html

I go against conventional wisdom and don't like heavy padding in my bags... the gear is heavy enough to lug around without adding more weight.  Unfortunately they are discontinued... I think they were about $30

" Lowepro "make a good range of bags, this one zips out from the back  which works well and has plenty of places to put things. 3 lenses in the bag + one on the body. Been convenient and easy to cart around all day working out of it and taking photos.

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

God I've gone through some over the years. The last and best "bag" I've owned was made by F-Stop.

I use a Rapid Strap for walking around, no tripod.

I use a military chest rig when hiking - so full pack of some kind on the back and the camera and 2-3 lenses on the front. I have a hydration sleeve on the back of the chest rig. The backpack goes on over that. Some people think this is odd, but it works surprisingly well and frees up a heap of space in your main pack. Surplus lenses and gear goes in the main pack...or in the case of the photos below, my daughter.

I dont have a decent photo of this, but here are a couple to give you the idea:

150217%20Hauy%20AK%20LK%20PK_zpsmuyc5gqp

150217%20AK%20PK%20Hauy%20Macpac_zpsir1c

The chest rig is fully adjustable and made by Platatac. There are a few parts to it, this is the main bit: 

http://www.platatac.com/platatac-chicom-y-harness.html

Hazard4 make the molle bags which are customisable to suit what you carry. Camera in middle and two jelly rolls I think they call them on each side for the lenses:

https://www.hazard4.com/forward-observer.html

I used to hate carrying a back pack, see something. Stop. Take it off. Unpack the camera, blah blah...

...with this set up I can whip out the camera in seconds. I have a rain cover in the front pocket and it goes straight on if it starts raining hard. I keep the spare lenses in their own waterproof bags, inside the padded cases.

I developed this set up as I couldn't find a satisfactory camera bag to go on an Aarn Pack, which I dont currently own, but would buy in an instant if I was doing another big trip. I had a large F-Stop bag on that tassie trip and it wasn't good with a heavy load of gear. As least for me. So I sold it, but kept their excellent inserts.

Edited by Peter the Greek

@Peter the Greek  That setup is a little to full on for me - Don't forget I am on holiday Ocean cruising and trying to have a nice time and taking about 1000 photos 

1 minute ago, Full Range said:

@Peter the Greek  That setup is a little to full on for me - Don't forget I am on holiday Ocean cruising and trying to have a nice time and taking about 1000 photos 

Rapid strap all the way. One lens, a few cards.

http://blackrapid.com/Straps/

They make one that can go on a small pack too

22 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

I used to hate carrying a back pack, see something. Stop. Take it off. Unpack the camera, blah blah...

...with this set up I can whip out the camera in seconds. I have a rain cover in the front pocket and it goes straight on if it starts raining hard. I keep the spare lenses in their own waterproof bags, inside the padded cases.

one of the reasons I like the sling I have as it can stay at the back like a messenger style bag, but if needed can slide around to pull out the camera.@WhoRu?  the sling I use without its padding, its a removable insert. and yeah the gear is rugged enough :)

my little TLZ1 is padded though and it with camera can fit in the sling if I want to keep some padding in the equation.

I'd find a small pack that fits you - find a good hiking shop near you. An independent, one with lots of brands and stock. Everyone is different.

I've had a lot of the various bags that you can swing round the front etc. I find them uncomfortable both front and back, so you get a shitting result all the time. At least if you have a great back pack, you'll not mind carrying and you can have the camera on the strap. I keep spare lenses in my pack in these things - https://www.hazard4.com/accessories/pouches/jelly-roll.html 

and get one of these from black rapid

media.nl?id=219910&c=3398231&h=34304face

10 minutes ago, Full Range said:

No promises though 

LOL, its not like I sell them!

Just a hard lesson learnt for me, if the bag is uncomfortable it ruins the trip. Camera bags, by and large, in my opinion are a farce. Hold the gear great, but comfort is secondary.....god I've dropped about as much on bags as I have bodies in the past 15 years.

If you're comfortable, you're happy and will enjoy taking photos more. If the bag is swinging around, digging in, slipping off etc etc it'll **** you no end.

That's my experience, others will have different perspectives. But they're not fashion items, you want to be comfortable (and functional)

Edited by Peter the Greek

@Peter the Greek I have to take into concideration that I am traveling on weird and crowded transport - sometimes with 80 odd people 

So I need to protect the equipment especially when jumping on and off rocking tender boats 

Avoid hard sides and salty water spray 

Now I have lost a few lenses to salt humidity when a few months on when they develop a growth inside the lens surface 

Now I use inside my camera bags those silica crystal satchels to avoid a repeat 

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

@Peter the Greek I have to take into concideration that I am traveling on weird and crowded transport - sometimes with 80 odd people 

So I need to protect the equipment especially when jumping on and off rocking tender boats 

Avoid hard sides and salty water spray 

Now I have lost a few lenses to salt humidity when a few months on when they develop a growth inside the lens surface 

Now I use inside my camera bags those silica crystal satchels to avoid a repeat 

I'm a bit more anal about water protection. I put the lenses in the 1L verson of these things and then they go in those massively padded jelly rolls

Always take them out at night/when back someone safe and dry

STS_AUDS-US-Dry-Sack-group-308x308.jpg

Because I use a bum bag in my work on a daily basis I decided to look for a hip waist pack style camara bag 

Low and behold I found one - http://clikelite.com/product/uncategorized/seeker/

Has a nice video description 

I will look more closely into hip bags - as they suit me and the intended use 

Edited by Full Range

What about Think Tank bags I have street walker pro also have their digital holster 50. Both are versatile and reasonably priced. 

Perhaps street walker hard drive would suit you better

heres a link to their website

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/backpacks

i believe Digidirect sell this brand

Neo

Edited by Neo