Anyone have opinions on the Bowers and Wilkins 800D3?

I joined this forum because I noticed that it seems to have a lot of activity and there have been a few thread on Bowers.  

I have a question - has anyone here heard the 800D3 and how did you like them?  Specifically asking if the 800D3 is significantly better than the 802D3 in terms of voices, palpability, and midrange density?

I assume the bass is better...

Just looking for some input.  

I heard them last week running with a pair of Krell reference mono blocks. 

Stuff I love on my system, I didn't t like on that system, but other things we played on it was dreamy. 

But it was a vastly different sounding system than mine, and based off that demo, I prefer my system, but I'm sure if I'd spent days with it, I'd prolly prefer that system. 

They were a very honest speaker to say the least. 

Edited by Sime

It's not that I didn't like them, but my systems is set up to my liking more. Stuff I enjoy on my system, that I listen to a lot, I didn't like on that system. That system was too honest and not fun. 

I heard 800D3 last week but only had time to listen 1 track. It was a Beatles song but I can't remember now which one.

The midrange was a lot more open and engaging than what I remember of the 803Ds I listened to some years back. However my overwhelming impression was just how powerfully these speakers played, especially in the bass region. It was very impressive but probably not what I'd be looking for for long term listening.  

I think for my tastes and listening room size (not to mention budget), the 802D3 or 803D3 would be better suited.

• Like 2

Joey ...I reckon just whack them greenbacks down ..audition them and give us the real low down

I have owned B&W all my life and if i could convince my lovely lady to part with 40 odd k for speakers i would gladly die and go to heaven (Or hell) but only after having one evening with them beautiful sheilas!..We are an unfaithful bunch

If you can safely afford to do it, do so. You only live once. 

I was never going to go from the D2's to D3's, thought it was a waste of time, but I'm glad I did.  

2 minutes ago, Sime said:

If you can safely afford to do it, do so. You only live once. 

I was never going to go from the D2's to D3's, thought it was a waste of time, but I'm glad I did.  

Same here.  Went from 802D2 to 802D3.  Great speaker. 

22 minutes ago, jt301 said:

True but if they want the sale they're going have to do something to accomodate you and allow you to compare the two speakers. Push them and see what they'll do for you.

The dealer has someone upgrading from 803D3 to 802D3 and would like to take my pair. 

With that, there's a vacuum and the dealer said they would upgrade me to the 800D3 for the price differential minus a discount.  

They don't have the 800D3 inhouse which means they cannot shuttle it to my place without me buying a pair.  Once I open it up, it becomes a "demo" pair. 

I agree, there is risk.

But the dealer is nice so I am sure if things went awry, they should help. 

I am very happy with my 802D3, but again, I suppose I'm after that last bit of performance.... what I'm really after is a little more palpability to the voices and better bass. 

Argh... this is tough. 

They do not seem to be discounting the 800D3 much if at all around here, are you guys getting discounts on your D3?

• Administrator

I've spent time with both the 802D3 and the 800D3, and owned 802D2 previously.

It's a no brainer to upgrade from D2 to D3 as you likely already know.

Comparing the 800 to 802 however, I haven't had the opportunity to hear them within my own familiar system.

Relying on memory alone, I only recall bass improvements, however this led to an overall more balanced sound on the 800 over the 802.

If the washout is not too much and you can afford it, I would absolutely do it. Even in a room perhaps not as large as the 800's can manage, they won't have to work as hard to energise the room. 800's seem to hold their value a little better than 802's also, purely because of supply and demand. There will be more 802's on the market for sale down the track than 800's for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joey_v said:

what I'm really after is a little more palpability to the voices and better bass. 

Seems from Marc's post, if you're after a bit more bass, this does indeed seem like a no brainer.

I'd jump on the offer before the other party starts getting cold feet!