FS: Plinius SA Reference x 2

Item: Plinius SA Reference x 2
Price: $24000
Item Condition: Mint
Reason for selling: Upgrade
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer Only
Extra Info: Selling a pair of Plinius SA Reference in consecutive serial numbers made in 2016. Been using them as mono blocks since day one. Mono power output: 1000w RMS into 8 Ohms 1800w RMS into 4 Ohms.

Pictures:

IMG_20170109_093853.jpgIMG_20170109_093530.jpgIMG_20170109_093553.jpgIMG_20170109_093725.jpgIMG_20170109_102017.jpgIMG_20170104_045100.jpg

Edited by jeelie
  • Like 14

Geez, impressive looking gear. Didn't see any of these suckers at their factory in Christchurch. Was in NZ for Sept school holidays, went past the address (I had already looked up prior) while making our way to airport to depart.

Had a little spare time and wife gave me 20 minutes.

Nothing to elaborate, dropped in said hello, young fella gave me a quick tour. Integrated amps being built. Those heat sinks and fascia's are laser cut at an engineering firm over the road from their office. A few amps being burnt in etc. Had a look in a parts bin, toroidal transformer size of a milo tin lid, picked it up, effing nearly dropped it, weighed a little bit. Thanked them for the tour.

Very nice gear.

Matt

Edited by mattd2308

3 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

From Plinius site:

Plinius.jpg

Thanks mate. Doesn't answer my question. They're not going to jump from 100w class A in stereo mode, to 1kw class A in mono. 1kw output is Class A/B - I'm 99% sure.

26 minutes ago, Juicester said:

Thanks mate. Doesn't answer my question. They're not going to jump from 100w class A in stereo mode, to 1kw class A in mono. 1kw output is Class A/B - I'm 99% sure.

I think you're on the right path, is a 100 watt in class A amp. Beyond that it operates at class AB. To be sure, I would suggest someone ask Plinius. :)

14 hours ago, Juicester said:

So what do these output in Class A when configured as monos? Certainly not 1kw....   The most I could find was 100w class watt in stereo mode (using a single amp). 

Quote from Plinius:

Are Plinius Class A Amplifiers true Class A?

Yes, Plinius Class A amplifiers are True Class A bias, but not for the full rated output power. At normal listening levels it is unnecessary to have the full power rating at Class A. To provide Class A performance, but also conserve power, Plinius Class A amplifiers operate in true Class A for Approximately 1/3 of the rated output power. Above 1/3 Output, the bias is technically referred to as High Class AB. For example the SA-Reference will deliver 300W prior to clipping, but only 100W of this is true Class A.

Reply from Plinius:

2. When the amp is under mono block mode, how does it operate? Is it still running the first 100w in Class A and the rest in Class AB? And what is the power consumption in mono block mode assuming the Class A and Class AB mode still available?

In mono mode there is little or no change in power consumption. The same amount of ‘work’ is being done by the amplifier.

The bias in mono has a collaborative effect that remains approximately 1/3 full class A. This is around 300W Class A bias in Mono for the available 1000W output prior to clipping. Beyond this the bias must be TECHNICALLY DEFINED as Class AB, but is still very high bias. It should be noted that this “leaving Class A” situation only occurs when the signal is at a level above the threshold of A bias which is not happening often, if at all, and it is a diminishing High Class AB, it is not a hard line from A to AB, it is more like 100% Class A to 95% of Class A, to 90% of Class A etc. for signal over the threshold.

Edited by jeelie

Bridging amplifiers does nothing to their class A output - it stays the same. That is, a stereo amplifier capable of 100W class A per channel will produce exactly the same 100W class A before transitioning to class AB (except now you have potential for more output power in AB if the power supply and output stages are up to it - and they are in this case) *Paralleling* amplifier channels to make a monoblock does in fact lift class A output potential power by a factor of 4 into the same impedance (P=I^2*R) but not too many amplifiers will have that configuration as an option - as it does nothing to make those big numbers people like in terms of output power - in fact AB output power remains the same (ie no increase over stereo) in the parallel case. Occasionally amplifiers will have switchable class - A bias (some ME amps for example) or a sliding bias (hello modern Krell amp users - we're talking to you). The first idea gives you variable class A output to suit your energy budget/heating requirements. The second tries to optimise it for both energy and sonics - with some arguments as to its success. 

Edited by treuben