• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Chilling at home this arvo-washing records,  giving them a spin, doing some cooking and oh, a few beverages ......keeping Mrs Mendes amused.....🙏🥂🍷🍻

Started with some southern Tassie Chardonnay and now enjoying some smoked beef shorties with a few glasses of damn nice 2012 McLaren Vale Shiraz.  Cheers all 🤙

no

16 minutes ago, Mendes said:

The Wine front described it as sexual chocolate......it good!!!!  :thumb:

Barry White time Steve

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mtf said:

no

Barry White time Steve

It’s very good Mark, It has over delivered.......must get some more :emot-bang:

• Like 1

I feel the same way. When O when will it end!

13 minutes ago, Mendes said:

It’s very good Mark, It has over delivered.......must get some more :emot-bang:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mtf said:

I’m rolling with a cheeky little Italian tonite.

CBE662F4-C651-4F0C-AD16-E90847306F8C.jpeg

Do tell....variety and from where....?

Good yeah?

Just now, Mendes said:

Do tell....variety and from where....?

Good yeah?

Let me guess .... the wine thief?

9 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Let me guess .... the wine thief?

Haha not this one, I picked it up from the Wine Loft at the Boat Shed in Cottesloe.

I did a Penfolds tasting at Dans in Bicton ( Grange before lunch, you bloody ripper 😉) then popped in here to grab a bottle of AR PE PE , we got chatting about Sicilian wine as I would like to explore some of the Etna wines and the lovely young lady put me on to this as a good value for $$.

Its a blend of Nerello Mascalese and  Nocera. My first time trying these varieties and I am enjoying it,  much better after a few hours though. Pinot like earthiness and some nice spicy length, looking forward to delving into this region🍇

• Like 2

Cranked up the PMCs and a few glasses of wine with a fellow SNA vinyl fan this afternoon, very relaxing.

The Gladstones was lovely,  a great balance of age and fruit, so juicy still.

I believe this particular vintage was picked from the Woodlands vineyard.

Shirvington was very different, much darker chocolate with a more eucalyptus and spicy finish. Very nice🍷

D8227A4A-82B4-4D1D-9CEE-9C58DD5B3988.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, mtf said:

Cranked up the PMCs and a few glasses of wine with a fellow SNA vinyl fan this afternoon, very relaxing.

The Gladstones was lovely,  a great balance of age and fruit, so juicy still.

I believe this particular vintage was picked from the Woodlands vineyard.

Shirvington was very different, much darker chocolate with a more eucalyptus and spicy finish. Very nice🍷

D8227A4A-82B4-4D1D-9CEE-9C58DD5B3988.jpeg

Thank You for your kind hospitality there @mtf!  Have always been educational and with great vino pleasure at every visit.   

Looking forward catching up again at mine once that SP10 Mk3 is finally marriage to the Kuzma arm......!  Not long to go now. :thumb:

6 hours ago, Chanh said:

Thank You for your kind hospitality there @mtf!  Have always been educational and with great vino pleasure at every visit.   

Looking forward catching up again at mine once that SP10 Mk3 is finally marriage to the Kuzma arm......!  Not long to go now. :thumb:

Glad you could pop by mate, it was a great afternoon session.

We shall get that SP10 Mk3/ Kuzma sorted and you’ll be bopping away in no time my friend :thumb:

Been meaning to have another look at these two wines to see how they are developing.

10 and 8 years of age, so should be interesting.

630FCA85-2698-4E4B-84FC-E8E3D14E8028.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Been meaning to have another look at these two wines to see how they are developing.

10 and 8 years of age, so should be interesting.

630FCA85-2698-4E4B-84FC-E8E3D14E8028.jpeg

I must try a Gralyn one day, hows it tasting?

49 minutes ago, mtf said:

I must try a Gralyn one day, hows it tasting?

Mmmm nice, my brother picked it as MR and  Willyabrup in blind taste....impressive and he loved it.

The Graillot is da bomb also.

:thumb:

5 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Mmmm nice, my brother picked it as MR and  Willyabrup in blind taste....impressive and he loved it.

The Graillot is da bomb also.

:thumb:

Nice work brother of Mendes, that is very impressive.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mtf said:

Nice work brother of Mendes, that is very impressive.

Ha ha... educated guess.....

Edited by Mendes
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

looking forward to some sips of these that brought back from a recent trip,

45456193852_af1eb8c758_b.jpg

any thoughts on what would be best ways to savour... 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, :) al said:

@mtf............

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, :) al said:

I’ve been really enjoying Gin straight though it’s not been too frequent lately.

I think it’s hard not to like Gin with a good tonic like FeverTree, they offer a few varieties to suit different tastes and the all do make a difference.

DMs now stock a good range of tonics including FeverTree which is great news compared to a few years ago.:thumb:

I hope you had a great time in Tassie, I look forward to doing the same thing one day @:) al

• Like 2
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, mtf said:

I’ve been really enjoying Gin straight though it’s not been too frequent lately.

I think it’s hard not to like Gin with a good tonic like FeverTree, they offer a few varieties to suit different tastes and the all do make a difference.

will probably first check out a little nip straight... :)

definitely will check out fever tree, sounds interesting :)

some reading found the apothecary as a negroni which I dont mind so will do at some stage,

https://downginlane.com.au/apothecary-gin-how-to-drink/

the mchenry sloe gin it appears worth trying in a sloe gin fiz... never ever had one of those so why not :D 

https://theginqueen.com/mchenry-sloe-gin-2/

definitely liking the sound of the fever though so will be on look out at DMs ... thanks for the heads up.

really enjoyed Tassie, back there in a couple of weeks...

• Like 2

Have you tried Poltergeist?

Itis a fantastic Gin from Tassie, although it does seem to be a bit polarising with the folk that I have shared it with.

The tonic suggestion is a tad fundamental but getting a good quality tonic with natural Quinine is the key, (no soft drink brands, pay a few more $$ and it will pay dividends ) and of course a few fresh slices of your favourite citrus and you are in heaven 😍

• Like 1

Am heading to Tassie on Friday, Guys are these Gins widely available? Probably Not hey? My Aunts/ Uncles in UK used to make Sloe Or Damson Gin for sipping on cold winter nights😍. Long time since I had any, wouldn't mind trying some again.

• Like 1
Am heading to Tassie on Friday, Guys are these Gins widely available? Probably Not hey? My Aunts/ Uncles in UK used to make Sloe Or Damson Gin for sipping on cold winter nights[emoji7]. Long time since I had any, wouldn't mind trying some again.
There's a small wine shop in Salamanca, tucked inside a small arcade. Just near newsagents. They have several 'tassie' gins. They would also advise where else to get some.
  • Like 2

Check out locally made Strangelove tonics as well Al. They have a standard tonic (they call No. 8), a light tonic (low sugar but with no artificial sweeteners) and a dirty tonic (cloudy with cinchona bark). They’re all available at DM’s.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, teagle said:

Am heading to Tassie on Friday, Guys are these Gins widely available? Probably Not hey? My Aunts/ Uncles in UK used to make Sloe Or Damson Gin for sipping on cold winter nights😍. Long time since I had any, wouldn't mind trying some again.

I got these in cradle mountain, they had a few other varieties. Gin seems quite a tassie thing ! with a few makers and a bit of a following there for it. 

I have seen Gins at the main airports gift shops (launceston and hobart) even though cant recall of either of these :)

• Moderators
8 hours ago, teagle said:

the sloe gin I understand is a limited release so best get some while can :) 

1 hour ago, :) al said:

I got these in cradle mountain, they had a few other varieties. Gin seems quite a tassie thing ! with a few makers and a bit of a following there for it. 

I have seen Gins at the main airports gift shops (launceston and hobart) even though cant recall of either of these :)

Looks like the Gin World is your oyster Al................dangerous thread this one, has cost me a fortune with all the great recommendations that come up.....:lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scuzzii said:
11 hours ago, teagle said:
Am heading to Tassie on Friday, Guys are these Gins widely available? Probably Not hey? My Aunts/ Uncles in UK used to make Sloe Or Damson Gin for sipping on cold winter nightsemoji7.png. Long time since I had any, wouldn't mind trying some again.

There's a small wine shop in Salamanca, tucked inside a small arcade. Just near newsagents. They have several 'tassie' gins. They would also advise where else to get some.

3 hours ago, scuzzii said:

Also, just near the Greek restaurant in Salamanca square is the ex Nant cellar door who would have a range as well.

2 hours ago, :) al said:

the sloe gin I understand is a limited release so best get some while can :) 

OK Fellows, Thanks for the advice, "Better Half" enjoys a G&T also, will follow your advice👍.

• Like 2

Our latest 'favourite' Gin and Tonic is Tanqueray Sevilla Gin (made with Sevilla Oranges) with Fevertree Mediterranean Tonic.

Honestly, if there is a better G&T for a sunny day, please tell me.  The choice of tonic is important.

Be warned, the evaporation rate (and half-life) of this particular Gin is very high.  About $54 a 700 ml bottle.  A lot cheaper at the duty-free for a litre bottle.

(I haven't tried the Sloe Gins, yet).

9 hours ago, dwbasement said:

Have overseas visitors this afternoon, will decant this soon to breath. I think 2001 is not as great as 98 or 96...will see.20181027_100838.jpg

How was it Dennis?

I have been buying a few of these of late with my wine drinking buddy @mtf....

Test driving the 2015 Ruggabellus Archaeus tonight with the balance of the Powell and getting started with an amazing Anejo as I food prep for the evening.

This Archaeus is 79% Shiraz with 10% Grenache, 8% Mataro and 3% cinsault.......will try it with dinner..... high expectations...

C0058633-1F90-4E48-9D9F-9142F97DA104.thumb.jpeg.52ec81c7276582147a58f9c784ccdfbf.jpeg

• Like 2
How was it Dennis?

Steve, I had the bottom bit after decanting, it was already very nice. We had it after 3 hours after and it was great, very smooth and bold, actually a bit sweeter than I expected from 389. Colour is like a deep purple, quite a bit of sediment developed.

I think it is about time to start drinking this vintage, and I think may be up to another 5 or 6 years would be the time to finish the other bottles.

I am drinking the last bit atm, and it smells very minty, didn't get this 4 hours ago.

11 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Steve, I had the bottom bit after decanting, it was already very nice. We had it after 3 hours after and it was great, very smooth and bold, actually a bit sweeter than I expected from 389. Colour is like a deep purple, quite a bit of sediment developed.

I think it is about time to start drinking this vintage, and I think may be up to another 5 or 6 years would be the time to finish the other bottles.

I am drinking the last bit atm, and it smells very minty, didn't get this 4 hours ago.

Lucky you....enjoyDennis....:thumb: